Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Time to go home.... NZ to UK - So Many?

Time to go home.... NZ to UK - So Many?

Old Jul 8th 2019, 9:43 am
Just Joined

NZ2UK13 is just really niceNZ2UK13 is just really niceNZ2UK13 is just really niceNZ2UK13 is just really niceNZ2UK13 is just really niceNZ2UK13 is just really niceNZ2UK13 is just really niceNZ2UK13 is just really nice
Default Time to go home.... NZ to UK - So Many Questions???

Been living in New Zealand for 13 years and decided it’s time to go home. I’ve loved it here but never felt entirely settled and now kids are grown and have had the childhood I think we wanted them to have, we’ve All decided it’s time to up sticks and go. Apparently 13 years is the move point for about 55% of ex pats and wonder if it has a lot to do with the kids growing older; anyway enough of the waffle, I need some advice and/or info.

My my youngest is just finishing NCEA1 in November and as far as I can see it isn’t really worth anything above a C GCSE so wondering if anyone has had to reintegrate a 16 year old into education system. We’re going back in December and we’ve been told might have to redo entire GCSE program???

Along with the wife and two kids I’m taking two adult choc labs, has anyone sent adult dogs back recently from Auckland area and able to give me a rough idea of cost and recommend a company?

Also wonder if anyone has used a good currency transfer agency or moved a private pension back. Looking to move pensions from AMP and have had mixed messages as to whether have to reinvest until I’m 55 or can cash in as permanently leaving.

Any advice, info gratefully received as it’s definitely happening so want to get it right.

Thanks

Last edited by NZ2UK13; Jul 8th 2019 at 9:59 am.
Old Jul 9th 2019, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to go home.... NZ to UK - So Many?

I can only comment on the dogs. We flew ours with Dogtainers who we found excellent. We moved from Perth West Australia, but I know they have offices in NZ. Cost depends on size of dog, but our chihuahua was $3000. They should be able to provide a quote pretty quickly - you measure them and they will be able to tell you within a day.
Old Jul 9th 2019, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Pothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nice

Congratulations on your decision to move back to the UK. We left NZ for the UK in May 2018 after 11 years there, I have not regretted that decision for one single moment - we moved to the South West but am originally from East Anglia. My partner moved his pension to NZ back in 2007 and is with Britannia - to be fair with the exchange rate we had back then we have done really well. He could take it out now that he has been away for more than a year but he is 60 next year so will leave where it is for now. It is growing well still in NZ but the exchange rate is right to bring it back so it is a difficult decision. You'll have to check with your pension provider to see what rules and regulations there are around being a non-resident.
This is who we used to bring our dog back it cost us $3,376 and she is only a miniature Fox Terrier! Not cheap but I couldn't fault them and she stayed at the kennels for a week while we wounded our way home via Sydney, Singapore and Dubai.
Auckland Airport Pet Services
Pets By Air
Auckland Quarantine Ltd
Brookby Pet Lodge
Ph. (09) 216 6011
021 490782
235 Brookby Rd
Manurewa
Auckland, 2576
www.airportpets.co.nz
We use Caxton for currency exchange but to be honest they are all much of a muchness. Just.phone around to find your best exchange rate.
Best of luck with your move. We have met a few now who returned back to the UK after a few years.
Old Jul 9th 2019, 8:32 am
Just Joined

NZ2UK13 is just really niceNZ2UK13 is just really niceNZ2UK13 is just really niceNZ2UK13 is just really niceNZ2UK13 is just really niceNZ2UK13 is just really niceNZ2UK13 is just really niceNZ2UK13 is just really nice

Much appreciated and glad move is working out for you, gives me hope. I know several of our friends think we’re a bit mad and keep going and on about beautiful beaches and the sun, however being fair skinned it isn’t something I’ll miss and look forward to revisiting some of the beautiful locations in the UK and actually being able to comfortably afford visiting other countries. Adding your info to my list 👍

Last edited by NZ2UK13; Jul 9th 2019 at 8:40 am. Reason: Can’t quote.
Old Jul 9th 2019, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
I can only comment on the dogs. We flew ours with Dogtainers who we found excellent. We moved from Perth West Australia, but I know they have offices in NZ. Cost depends on size of dog, but our chihuahua was $3000. They should be able to provide a quote pretty quickly - you measure them and they will be able to tell you within a day.
Much appreciated and will add info to my list of things to do. 👍
Old Jul 9th 2019, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZ2UK13
I know several of our friends think we’re a bit mad and keep going and on about beautiful beaches and the sun, however being fair skinned it isn’t something I’ll miss and look forward to revisiting some of the beautiful locations in the UK and actually being able to comfortably afford visiting other countries. Adding your info to my list 👍
Oh these people I know well and there's currently a thread in the NZ section about scenery:-). Although I'm not directly in the UK (still not far), we have plenty of beaches that are just as stunning + you have the rest of Europe to explore. I'm not that fair skinned but got burnt after visiting one of theses beaches 2 weeks ago, so it's not always bad.

Old Jul 10th 2019, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back a couple of years ago (after 13yrs in NZ) and used Jetpets https://www.jetpets.co.nz/ For our springer spaniel... If I remember right it cost NZ$5,400 flying Auckland to Manchester.

P.S. They were brilliant.
Old Jul 12th 2019, 10:57 am
Applying for ILR

Lizandphil is a jewel in the roughLizandphil is a jewel in the roughLizandphil is a jewel in the roughLizandphil is a jewel in the roughLizandphil is a jewel in the rough

We moved from Aus to the UK with a 12 yo and 16yo.
Our 16yo had completed the equivalent of GCSEs and just started college in Canberra.
When we got to the UK our 16 yo started A levels at college here. They accepted her aus quals no problem and she did three a levels but scraped through. However since then she has had problems with showing that she has maths and English GCSE equivalents. She got a conversion certificate as a result, and has taken city and guilds part 1 and 2 for maths (i think that is what they are called).
So in theory the NZ may be accepted but we hve found it to be a bit hit and miss with the Aus ones.
I can get more details if required i the conversion thing.
My advice would be to do GCSEs in maths and english (possibly other subjects) once here. The leap for my daughter from the Canberra system to the uk A level exam based system was very big and a real shock. In hindsight we should have got her to do a year of the essential GCSEs then do Alevels. But all kids hit their stride differently etc.
hope this helps. Its obviously just our experience.
good luck!
Old Jul 12th 2019, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lizandphil
We moved from Aus to the UK with a 12 yo and 16yo.
Our 16yo had completed the equivalent of GCSEs and just started college in Canberra.
When we got to the UK our 16 yo started A levels at college here. They accepted her aus quals no problem and she did three a levels but scraped through. However since then she has had problems with showing that she has maths and English GCSE equivalents. She got a conversion certificate as a result, and has taken city and guilds part 1 and 2 for maths (i think that is what they are called).
So in theory the NZ may be accepted but we hve found it to be a bit hit and miss with the Aus ones.
I can get more details if required i the conversion thing.
My advice would be to do GCSEs in maths and english (possibly other subjects) once here. The leap for my daughter from the Canberra system to the uk A level exam based system was very big and a real shock. In hindsight we should have got her to do a year of the essential GCSEs then do Alevels. But all kids hit their stride differently etc.
hope this helps. Its obviously just our experience.
good luck!
Thanks for this, much appreciated. If you have details of conversion location you used that would be great. We contacted a couple of schools and NZ NCEA which is what she’ll leave with is worth less than a GCSE C grade and we were concerned that 1. The jump to A level may be a bit much and 2. She was going to have some CV issues, so reading what you’ve experienced has really helped. Hadn’t even thought about just covering off the essentials. Daughter is quite philosophical about having to redo work for GCSE and wants to do A levels so understands she needs the foundation, so on that respect we’re lucky she’s so on board. Thanks again for info and hope move back was right choice 👍