Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

For those worried about U.K crime

Wikiposts

For those worried about U.K crime

Old Oct 25th 2009, 5:26 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those worried about U.K crime

Originally Posted by dboy
Crime stats are of limited value - it should be your perception of a place that matters. For instance, if you avoid a certain area, due to your 'feeling' that it's not safe, then that's what will have a much more profound impact than reading about how many bikes were stolen from a given area.
Very true. My area is one of the lowest crime areas in Britain, but it featured in a documentary about paranoid Britain, because people's perceptions of crime are high
Old Oct 25th 2009, 5:29 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Crime stats are of limited value - it should be your perception of a place that matters. For instance, if you avoid a certain area, due to your 'feeling' that it's not safe, then that's what will have a much more profound impact than reading about how many bikes were stolen from a given area.

Moreover, crime stats are highly manipulated and don't always give an accurate view either way. Over and under reporting, can impact figures.

Go with how you feel about a place and take stats with a pinch of salt. Sadly crime is everywhere these days.
There was a policeman on this forum many months ago that said the same thing and to be honest I think he was right. Only problem is, when somebody doesn`t know an area, initially they only have this info to go on.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:20 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
There was a policeman on this forum many months ago that said the same thing and to be honest I think he was right. Only problem is, when somebody doesn`t know an area, initially they only have this info to go on.

I am also a copper. Fact is crime happens anywhere. Crime is more to do with population density - more people more crime. I would be loath to use crime stats to pick an area to live.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Foreign women have always sought out the sort of British males that no British female would want, as they make easy targets to get a UK passport. Men walk down the road with a beer gut or bald head and still think they're sexy.

Some British men that go on holiday to Thailand, go for different reasons (where's the vomit icon?)
Too true..the ones with low IQs as well are often targets.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Very true. My area is one of the lowest crime areas in Britain, but it featured in a documentary about paranoid Britain, because people's perceptions of crime are high
I have just come back from well lets say someone who offers me a "personal service"....and no nothing rude..lol...a person who has arrived on the shores of Aus just over a couple of years ago....loves Aus...and I wish them all the best....I really do..but I come back really fed up after visiting because if what she tells me is all true....then a certain county in the south of England is a complete no go area.....thank the lord they seemed not to have travelled around the rest of the U.K as the U.K would be an Island of nothing but a Prison Island.....honestly I kid you not....needless to say I will now be going elsewhere for my "service".....coward I know but I just don't want to get into any arguments...
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brits1
I have just come back from well lets say someone who offers me a "personal service"....and no nothing rude..lol...a person who has arrived on the shores of Aus just over a couple of years ago....loves Aus...and I wish them all the best....I really do..but I come back really fed up after visiting because if what she tells me is all true....then a certain county in the south of England is a complete no go area.....thank the lord they seemed not to have travelled around the rest of the U.K as the U.K would be an Island of nothing but a Prison Island.....honestly I kid you not....needless to say I will now be going elsewhere for my "service".....coward I know but I just don't want to get into any arguments...

If that's who I think it is then I'd take what they say with a massive pinch of salt. My OH grew up in the same town and I lived there for 7 years and we could tell you a completely different side. No it's not perfect, no where is but it is certainly not as bad as they make out and some parts of the county are absolutley stunning.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:03 pm
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

Originally Posted by stm1971
If that's who I think it is then I'd take what they say with a massive pinch of salt. My OH grew up in the same town and I lived there for 7 years and we could tell you a completely different side. No it's not perfect, no where is but it is certainly not as bad as they make out and some parts of the county are absolutley stunning.
Now we're all gagging to know......
Old Oct 29th 2009, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LindyLoo500
Now we're all gagging to know......
LOL...no one on BE.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:58 am
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

Originally Posted by stm1971
LOL...no one on BE.
But can't you tell us anyway?
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

does this count as crime I wonder, its certainly putting me off.....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...bar-crawl.html
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:40 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone caught reading the Sun newspaper is a prime dim wit target!
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:44 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

You know what makes me laugh about all this unruly binge drinking behaviour so heavily pounced on by the tabloid media of late??
Most of these numpties reporting it would have been doing the exact same thing in their youth!!
They are carrying on as if its some dreadful 21st century phenomenen that has sprung up in the last 5yrs or so...well i got news for you all. Its been going on for centuries!! The only difference is that mobile phones have cameras to catch it all these days. I wish they would get over themselves
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:12 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
You know what makes me laugh about all this unruly binge drinking behaviour so heavily pounced on by the tabloid media of late??
Most of these numpties reporting it would have been doing the exact same thing in their youth!!
They are carrying on as if its some dreadful 21st century phenomenen that has sprung up in the last 5yrs or so...well i got news for you all. Its been going on for centuries!! The only difference is that mobile phones have cameras to catch it all these days. I wish they would get over themselves
Sorry can't agree with that statement. Years gone bye money was not available and policing was more intense. A bottle of Bulmers cider from the off licence was tops once a week. With the high youth wages and cheap 'rocket fuel' being sold in bulk at the likes of Weatherspoons things are totally out of hand. Drunken abuse runs riot from 16:00hrs and the streets are dangerous after 22:00hrs. I am talking about lovely Royal Leamington Spa not the centre of Manchester, London,Scarborough, Glasgow, god only knows what problems the police have there. Every town centre drinking hole has to employ at least two doormen to try to keep the peace. This was certainly not the case in my youth days the long arm of the law used to suffice. Now we are given the alarming facts that 80% of Uk's street crimes go unreported due to the simple fact that police actions and effect are simply not trusted. I recently was shocked to see Leamington appearing on a Uk street crime programme where a drunken youth was physically attacking a police car with a full size axe! This does not make me laugh just cringe!
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:21 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Sorry can't agree with that statement. Years gone bye money was not available and policing was more intense. A bottle of Bulmers cider from the off licence was tops once a week. With the high youth wages and cheap 'rocket fuel' being sold in bulk at the likes of Weatherspoons things are totally out of hand. Drunken abuse runs riot from 16:00hrs and the streets are dangerous after 22:00hrs. I am talking about lovely Royal Leamington Spa not the centre of Manchester, London,Scarborough, Glasgow, god only knows what problems the police have there. Every town centre drinking hole has to employ at least two doormen to try to keep the peace. This was certainly not the case in my youth days the long arm of the law used to suffice. Now we are given the alarming facts that 80% of Uk's street crimes go unreported due to the simple fact that police actions and effect are simply not trusted. I recently was shocked to see Leamington appearing on a Uk street crime programme where a drunken youth was physically attacking a police car with a full size axe! This does not make me laugh just cringe!
Well i'm 46 and i didstinctly remember all the nightclubs having doormen several in fact when i used to go.
There were often fights and loutish behaviour. I was in a club once where a yob bit someones ear off!!

I also owned a taxi company a good few years back. Believe me, on weekend nights my drivers saw things that would make your hair curl and all this in affluent London/ Hertfordshire suburbia.
It has been going on for years and years
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:06 am

Yes that is the point...it used to be only nightclubs way after the pubs had shut and most of the population had gone home! Now it commences way before dark! One of the drinking hole chains has even told their staff to serve no more than three alcoholic drinks to young parents with young children as the social services were complaining about having to take the kids into care because the parents were incapably drunk! Most normal backstreet pubs are empty as the grown ups cannot afford to drink. Roles have been completely reversed and I can only put it down to lawlessness and disorder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.