Thinking of returning for Post Grad Studies

Wikiposts

Thinking of returning for Post Grad Studies

Old Feb 16th 2009, 4:48 am
Just Joined

sunnyd71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of returning for Post Grad Studies

Hi,

Glad I discovered this very helpful forum. I moved away from Britain when I was a child and am now looking to return at 22. The vast majority of my family is there and I expect to live in the U.K. for the rest of my life if I return. I am a citizen and have a disability if it makes any difference in this situation.

I have already read this very helpful post. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313047

Now to my question. I would like to go back and am at the time of my life where I'd like to pursue post-graduate studies. I see that if I am not a resident for the last 3 years, I do not get tuition assistance. I would like more details on how I could fund my education in Britain and how much more I would be paying as a non-resident.

I'll also have to continue my medical care in England but see that I will have automatic coverage under NHS which is great! Thanks.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

tieve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of returning for Post Grad Studies

I'm sorry that I can't be of a great deal of help, but I do know that there are US loan companies out there who can provide the full cost of overseas tuition fees. I was studying here in Australia as an International Student and 80% of my course were Canadian and they were all entitled to support from Canada... it meant they were all graduating with a scary amount of debt, but at least it spread the cost for them. I looked into getting this loan as I was told it was available to ALL international students, however it turned out it was really for US and Canadians. I can't remember the name of it though, but I just googled 'loans for US citizens studying abroad' and I found a few companies. Some however are saying in the current economic climate they are putting a hold on applications. Also on this note, I think the loans are provided on the basis that you plan to return to the USA after your studies to clear the debt, but obviously at the time of starting out a course, you never do know what the future holds... ;-)

There are also ways you can look into getting a scholarship, but I've never gone down this route and I'm not sure how many places there are for each course and so on. My advice would be to find a course at a University you'd like to do (if you haven't done so already!) and then contact the Uni regarding your options. They should have full details on their websites.

Good luck!
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sunnyd71
Hi,

Glad I discovered this very helpful forum. I moved away from Britain when I was a child and am now looking to return at 22. The vast majority of my family is there and I expect to live in the U.K. for the rest of my life if I return. I am a citizen and have a disability if it makes any difference in this situation.

I have already read this very helpful post. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313047

Now to my question. I would like to go back and am at the time of my life where I'd like to pursue post-graduate studies. I see that if I am not a resident for the last 3 years, I do not get tuition assistance. I would like more details on how I could fund my education in Britain and how much more I would be paying as a non-resident.

I'll also have to continue my medical care in England but see that I will have automatic coverage under NHS which is great! Thanks.
I know it is not for everybody, but have you thought about the British military? They have a wide variety of careers and will pay all of your tuition costs. I know a woman who is a dentist with the RAF and says it is the best move she ever made. No need to worry about layoffs down the road, a full pension at an early age, and they will give you all the encouragement you need. They are also actively recruiting at the moment.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:26 am
Just Joined

sunnyd71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. Canada will give me student loans and I definitely can go that route. I was looking to see if I qualify for loans from Britain so I can compare what each program offers and choose whichever is best.

Now that I know that I'm not considered a resident, I'll have to see how much more expensive it is to be an international student even though I'm a citizen.

The military isn't really an option for myself but could be for others. I have a disability so physical activities wouldn't work for me
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:21 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnyd71
Thanks for the replies. Canada will give me student loans and I definitely can go that route. I was looking to see if I qualify for loans from Britain so I can compare what each program offers and choose whichever is best.

Now that I know that I'm not considered a resident, I'll have to see how much more expensive it is to be an international student even though I'm a citizen.

The military isn't really an option for myself but could be for others. I have a disability so physical activities wouldn't work for me
With current disability laws, it may well be that you are perfectly eligible to apply for work with the military ...
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:33 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between home and overseas varies widely between institutions. However as an example, I worked on a 2 year part time MSc course some years ago. The home fee was £8000 the non EU fee was £11,000. That is quite an expensive course so you need to find the course you want and then check with the provider. Try www.hotcourses.com to find courses. It might be worth seeing what the Open University offers too. I did my MA there and it was a high quality course. Quite cheap by comparison too. Sorry I don't know the overseas fees for them.

All uni's have websites now so you should be able to find out their fees on their sites. The variance is because non-EU students are not eligible for the funding the provider receives from the Government.