Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Oxford(shire)…

Wikiposts

Thinking of moving to Oxford(shire)…

Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

EnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud ofEnglishRose15 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Oxford(shire)…

Originally Posted by Beedubya
[I]
British trains were a breeze in comparison and on some journeys there were buffet cars to get food, drink and a magazine.
Great Bee, you are always so positive.

I have sent you a PM.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:46 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishRose15
Great Bee, you are always so positive.
Only about the UK!!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 12:20 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Speed? When I used to return from Paris on the Eurostar it was frankly embarrassing. We would go from almost flying on silent rails to click-clacking at about 40 mph from Kent to London. Maybe they improved this, but years ago this was pretty embarrassing.
From the channel tunnel's opening in 1994 up to 2007 the Eurostar was limted to a maximum of 100mph on the UK side of the channel, but since 2007 and the opening of high speed link into St Pancras the Eurostar can do 186mph on the UK side (same as the LGV Nord line on the foreign side).
Old Nov 27th 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in central Bath, which is beautiful but costs a lot. If you're looking online don't fall for the prices of houses in Snowhill or Twerton - there is absolutely no way you want to live in those areas.

I lived outside Bath for about six months and commuted in. It was so bad I moved back to the town centre and went back to walking to work.

But it's a beautiful place and the shopping is fabulous. Mind you, I couldn't afford to shop there because my company paid so little because we were outside London.

Ho hum.

As for trains - sometimes they're wonderful, sometimes they're terrible. They're almost always expensive.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 4:18 pm
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

I don't have much to comment on the trains UK vs Oz but the one thing that did impact me was how much ruder the Australian train passengers were, in Sydney at least (on the same line as you Bee). They do not move out of the way if you are trying to get off a train & start barging in, which is totally non-sensical. It outraged me so much when I first got here that I wrote in about it & complained! They have started putting adverts up about being more considerate to other passengers, including this & things like not shoving your backpack in other passengers' faces.

The main point of contention about the UK railways at the mo is how to get the best fare as the ticketing system has been made so complicated since the demise of Bristish Rail. But that only affects the more one-off non-commute journeys. It is very expensive of course but many employers offer financial incentives towards season tickets.

I remember that about the Eurostar - how it sped up on the French side! But now it's all fixed & the Kent lines were pretty good with new trains last time I was using them 4 or 5 yrs ago. The journey through Kent from London goes through some spectacular countryside.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 4:26 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I used to live in central Bath, which is beautiful but costs a lot. If you're looking online don't fall for the prices of houses in Snowhill or Twerton - there is absolutely no way you want to live in those areas.

I lived outside Bath for about six months and commuted in. It was so bad I moved back to the town centre and went back to walking to work.

But it's a beautiful place and the shopping is fabulous. Mind you, I couldn't afford to shop there because my company paid so little because we were outside London.

Ho hum.

As for trains - sometimes they're wonderful, sometimes they're terrible. They're almost always expensive.
Ah well there's the difference I didn't commute, I was mainly on the Virgin Pendolino for about 6 months travelling maybe 10 to 15 times.

I lived near Bath in my last few months in the UK, what a stunning place - have you seen the travel photos put up by the young French guy in the Rovers Return, they are great!!!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 4:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by JustBecause
I don't have much to comment on the trains UK vs Oz but the one thing that did impact me was how much ruder the Australian train passengers were, in Sydney at least (on the same line as you Bee). They do not move out of the way if you are trying to get off a train & start barging in, which is totally non-sensical. It outraged me so much when I first got here that I wrote in about it & complained! They have started putting adverts up about being more considerate to other passengers, including this & things like not shoving your backpack in other passengers' faces.

The main point of contention about the UK railways at the mo is how to get the best fare as the ticketing system has been made so complicated since the demise of Bristish Rail. But that only affects the more one-off non-commute journeys. It is very expensive of course but many employers offer financial incentives towards season tickets.

I remember that about the Eurostar - how it sped up on the French side! But now it's all fixed & the Kent lines were pretty good with new trains last time I was using them 4 or 5 yrs ago. The journey through Kent from London goes through some spectacular countryside.
Oh yes they are a shocker, especially at Hurstville, I got to complaining to their faces and that is very unlike me, but they are so damned RUDE!!!
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well there's the difference I didn't commute, I was mainly on the Virgin Pendolino for about 6 months travelling maybe 10 to 15 times.
Well that would explain why you think British trains are so wonderful. Most of them are nothing like the Pendolino...
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

Oh yes they are a shocker, especially at Hurstville, I got to complaining to their faces and that is very unlike me, but they are so damned RUDE!!!
There is specific etiquette here - especially in London, always stand to the right of the escalators, let people off the tube first and then everybody for themselves to get a place on the tube. The overland trains are more civilised - let the people off first, then try to get to the front of the queue, being as civil as possible and not overtly pushing, unless it looks as if you may not get a seat - then it is OK to shove everyone out of the way!
Old Nov 28th 2010, 7:06 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by MNandMN
There is specific etiquette here - especially in London, always stand to the right of the escalators, let people off the tube first and then everybody for themselves to get a place on the tube. The overland trains are more civilised - let the people off first, then try to get to the front of the queue, being as civil as possible and not overtly pushing, unless it looks as if you may not get a seat - then it is OK to shove everyone out of the way!
At least they are letting the people OFF the train first before others try to get on.........
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

At Thirroul, there are an average of two trains an hour, taking about 80 minutes to cover the 70km to Sydney. "We have a transport disadvantage in the region," Dr Laird said.

Seneca, I don't know what part of the world you are in, but the above is what I have been used to in NSW, Australia. I did this trip for a number of years on overcrowded trains so I know what I am talking about.

British trains were a breeze in comparison and on some journeys there were buffet cars to get food, drink and a magazine.
If you live in the place with Australia's highest population density you have to expect this. The lower the pop density the easier life gets.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:11 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Seneca21
If you live in the place with Australia's highest population density you have to expect this. The lower the pop density the easier life gets.
I don't think the Illawarra has a high population or do you mean Sydney? Then if so, Sydney SHOULD have a better train service......it is the equivalent of London, New York, Paris, Tokyo......

Oh my life is going to get very much easier (in some ways) in less than 13 weeks believe me!!!
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the Illawarra has a high population or do you mean Sydney? Then if so, Sydney SHOULD have a better train service......it is the equivalent of London, New York, Paris, Tokyo......

Oh my life is going to get very much easier (in some ways) in less than 13 weeks believe me!!!
Sydney, yes. I can't comment on Sydney's public transport at all, but London's is pretty good in my view. Much better than the Parisien Metro.