Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving back to UK

Thinking of moving back to UK

Old Aug 19th 2012, 4:00 am
Just Joined

pom_in_NZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving back to UK

Hi,

I am currently living in Auckland where I have been for just over 3 years. The last 3 years has been challenging as I met my kiwi husband and we are due to have a marriage blessing in the UK in 3 weeks time!!! Exciting but nerve wracking!

Since earlier this year, I have been feeling rather homesick and lonely. I don't have a lots of friends. I have a really good job that I have been in for 2.5 years. My husband doesn't work as he had a head injury which makes him difficult to work but we support each other and love each other to bits! Living here has become unhappy for me.

I miss being around my family and a phone call once a week is not quite the same. We see his mother quite a bit and it makes me feel more homesick/left out and she treats me differently than my mum. I have more friends in the UK than I have here as I have tried to get out and mingle and meet new people.

I have been considering a move back to the UK for a while now. I asked my husband if he would like to try and live in the UK which he said he would like to. We would like to start a family in the near future.

I am trying to get my head around the new rules from the UK Border Agency re sponsoring my husband. He might try to get some part time work over in the UK but I will be the main person getting the main income to support us.

He has kiwi friends over the UK which he has caught up when we went for a UK visit. Also, our friends (from the UK) who has also move back after living in NZ for 3.5 years. So, he won't feel alone if we live in the UK.

In Sept 2013, I plan to convert my NZ 2-year residence to Permanent Residence when I will be free to come back/forth to NZ if we decide to come back to NZ without any conditions.

It's a daunting thing to consider but wondered if anyone else out there felt the same thing, especially for kiwis to support their spouse's decision to go to the UK?

Cheers,
Claire