Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking about moving back to the UK from Canada

Thinking about moving back to the UK from Canada

Old May 11th 2017, 3:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about moving back to the UK from Canada

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
There you are then. The country's going to the rats.
Perhaps it was killed by a dog.
Old May 11th 2017, 7:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Perhaps it was killed by a dog.
It has been unusually dry here so far this spring, but not to worry, the forecast for tomorrow is rats and dogs.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

ThelmaH is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have a dream of moving back home to the UK, but your post about it being pretty grim over there guves me pause, Would you be so kind as to explain, and save me from makung a mistske?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 3rd 2018 at 10:36 am. Reason: Attempting to fix quotes
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMajor
Ok, the areas with rat infestation problems are:

Central: Soho, west end
South: Sutton, Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham
East: Tower Hamlets
North: Haringey, Crouch End, Holloway, Finsbury Park
West: Fulham, Shepherds Bush, Paddington
You forgot the most obvious rat infested location - The Palace of Westminster.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 9:53 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ThelmaH
I too have a dream of moving back home to the UK, but your post about it being pretty grim over there gives me pause
Would you be so kind as to explain, and save me from making a mistske?
Thelma
DMajor's concern was that certain parts of outer London aren't as salubrious as they could be. Not exactly a big shock although IMHO London has hugely improved over the last twenty years. Also if you're not planning on moving back to inside the M25 then it's not particularly relevant to your decision.

Last edited by BritInParis; Aug 3rd 2018 at 10:39 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 9:54 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
You forgot the most obvious rat infested location - The Palace of Westminster.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 10:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ThelmaH
I too have a dream of moving back home to the UK, but your post about it being pretty grim over there guves me pause, Would you be so kind as to explain, and save me from makung a mistske?
Hi, welcome to BE. Worth noting that this thread is rather old, not sure if the poster you are referring to is even still active, as his post is well over a year old now.

You'd be better off starting your own new thread with any concerns you have and others can chime in.

FWIW, it's far from 'grim' where I live, I bloody love it.

HTH, good luck.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DMajor
Ok, the areas with rat infestation problems are:

Central: Soho, west end
South: Sutton, Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham
East: Tower Hamlets
North: Haringey, Crouch End, Holloway, Finsbury Park
West: Fulham, Shepherds Bush, Paddington
Well there you go then no change there I used to manage London for National Grid so know these areas well. We are looking at retiring back to Cornwall and found the place to be just as we left it 11 years ago when we visited last year. Plymouth was a bit run down but Victoria is now experiencing the same thing. Homeless everywhere, drug addicts shooting up in public (you should see the car lark in the safe injection site on Douglas and Topaz) and developing the crap out of the place with the most awful buildings. Traffic is a nightmare and the cost of living has gone through the roof in BC. Its painful seeing what was one of the nicest places BC being systematically destroyed by greedy developers. Vancouver is now just as bad. We found Cornwall both very affordable and friendly and the what we consider an ideal place to retire. If this summer is caused by global warming in the UK then we will get plenty of beach time as well! Cant say much for the beaches in BC the water is too dammed cold for one.We have been really dissapointed with VI and the interior has nothing but fires in the summer months which is a shame.
Old Dec 27th 2018, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Elnino05 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it would be fair when describing Britain to consider it size and population. It might be over crowded but it’s well managed . It’s not all that bad. There is culture and beautiful places to visit. For me, I consider Canada very boring, expensive and far off. London Underground is one of the most sophisticated in the world. London has crime Canada has legalized weed! Home is where your heart is. Moved to Canada 3 years ago. Thought the grass was greener but no. It’s what you make of it. All the best
Old Dec 27th 2018, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

mush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elnino05
I think it would be fair when describing Britain to consider it size and population. It might be over crowded but it’s well managed . It’s not all that bad. There is culture and beautiful places to visit. For me, I consider Canada very boring, expensive and far off. London Underground is one of the most sophisticated in the world. London has crime Canada has legalized weed! Home is where your heart is. Moved to Canada 3 years ago. Thought the grass was greener but no. It’s what you make of it. All the best
Thank you for this, I keep trying to come up with excuses to stay or remember reasons why I left 10 years ago, but anytime I have any problems my heart always wants to go ‘home’ which is the UK!
Every country is the same, everywhere has it’s good points and bad points, and I have tried so hard to settle here but it just doesn’t feel like home, and after 10 years I still refer to the UK as home so that’s obviously telling me something!
Canada has some beautiful areas but it takes 4hrs to 3 days to get to them!
Old Dec 27th 2018, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

mush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamie677
We cruised home on the Queen mary 2 with our dog in 2012,it worked out a lot cheaper than flying with him and you get unlimited luggage .We have been back here 5 years now but hoping to move back to Canada this year ,kids are grown up now so its the right time for us (3rd time lucky haha)
Do you know where I can look into this? I’ve looked into lots of flight options etc, how long did it take? Is this easy to arrange? Thanks
Old Dec 28th 2018, 9:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mush77

Do you know where I can look into this? I’ve looked into lots of flight options etc, how long did it take? Is this easy to arrange? Thanks
https://www.cunardline.com.au/cruise.../queen-mary-2/
Old Dec 28th 2018, 10:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mush77

You can either book through Cunard or through a travel agent. Transatlantic cruises are usually 7 days NYC/Southampton. Kennels are normally booked a year or so in advance but we have had BE members who have managed to get cancellations.

It is certainly a very nice way of traveling, especially with dogs. Don’t worry about the crossing, the QM2 is not a cruise ship but an ocean liner. Last January we were in a force 12 storm and it hardly moved.
Old Dec 28th 2018, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

I looked into moving my dog on Cunard unfortunately they don’t allow pets on their first or last cruise according to their website. The last sailing is January 3rd 2019 and I think they then resume in April.
if I could of I would have chosen this route it’s a six day cruise the dogs are pampered and it’s soooo much cheaper. The requirements are no different as it relates to your dog entering the UK still have to have required vaccines and certification.
The dress code for the pooch on Cunard is a little more relaxed at meal times !!
Old Dec 28th 2018, 11:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy2018
I looked into moving my dog on Cunard unfortunately they don’t allow pets on their first or last cruise according to their website. The last sailing is January 3rd 2019 and I think they then resume in April.
if I could of I would have chosen this route it’s a six day cruise the dogs are pampered and it’s soooo much cheaper. The requirements are no different as it relates to your dog entering the UK still have to have required vaccines and certification.
The dress code for the pooch on Cunard is a little more relaxed at meal times !!
That must relate to the World Cruise that Cunard ships embark on every January to April/May. We usually do a couple of legs of the cruise every Jan/Feb and I am sure the kennels have been open.

On one Transatlantic cruise we saw an elderly lady, dressed from head to foot in Chanel. She was followed by a young man dressed in a red and black uniform. He was carrying a red velvet cushion, upon which was perched a small white dog. We saw them several times on the ship, maybe it was a service dog and wasn’t restricted to the kennels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.