Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Things you would have done differently....

Things you would have done differently....

Old Mar 2nd 2014, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

z1565124 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things you would have done differently....

Thought this would be the best place to ask this.....

For those of you who have moved from the US (or any place else) back to the UK what would you have done differently given hindsight and all that?

I have about 2 years before I plan to move my USC wife, dog and cat over so looking for any practical advice on things you leant during your move.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Richard
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 4:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you would have done differently....

Originally Posted by z1565124
Thought this would be the best place to ask this.....

For those of you who have moved from the US (or any place else) back to the UK what would you have done differently given hindsight and all that?

I have about 2 years before I plan to move my USC wife, dog and cat over so looking for any practical advice on things you leant during your move.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Richard
Maybe:

Spend more time enjoying the place I was leaving, instead of continuing to work too hard.

Start getting rid of all my crap a lot earlier.

Although you don't want a huge last-minute rush (see CalgaryPete's thread for how to do it right), if you start planning too early you will be sick and tired of the move by the time you actually move.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute

Would have gone through all my stuff much earlier than I did - this gives one time to go through it again and again ... I found that in order to let go of things I've had to go through stuff several times and then some. That said, this week I'm planning on sealing my boxes! But I really wish I had sold/donated/removed from my possession a lot of stuff sooner than I have.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

We're moving in Jan/Feb of 2015 and we're overwhelmed trying to figure out how to organize stuff and where to put it. We are planning to have a couple of yard/garage sales this Spring to move a bunch of baby clothes and toys especially. I have a huge 5-page list of house jobs I've been working through since October and I'm making progress (some minor like paint touch ups and some more major like repaint garage and sand/stain porch decking). We also have old paperwork to shred (a lot), and then closer to moving time, big things to sell like some of the furniture and cars etc.

I think it really helps to go through your whole house in your mind's eye and visualize everything you want to keep/ship and make a list of it. Then list out jobs to do to sell or rent your home. List groups of things to sell/donate/recycle etc. It's all about lists otherwise it can get really overwhelming. And start as soon as you can as EVERYTHING takes longer than you think!!
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
We're moving in Jan/Feb of 2015 and we're overwhelmed trying to figure out how to organize stuff and where to put it. We are planning to have a couple of yard/garage sales this Spring to move a bunch of baby clothes and toys especially. I have a huge 5-page list of house jobs I've been working through since October and I'm making progress (some minor like paint touch ups and some more major like repaint garage and sand/stain porch decking). We also have old paperwork to shred (a lot), and then closer to moving time, big things to sell like some of the furniture and cars etc.

I think it really helps to go through your whole house in your mind's eye and visualize everything you want to keep/ship and make a list of it. Then list out jobs to do to sell or rent your home. List groups of things to sell/donate/recycle etc. It's all about lists otherwise it can get really overwhelming. And start as soon as you can as EVERYTHING takes longer than you think!!
Oh I second that! I'm sat in the library at the moment copying cd's on my laptop and I really wish I had started a week ago given the speed it's taking ...
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

z1565124 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
Maybe:

Spend more time enjoying the place I was leaving, instead of continuing to work too hard.
If all goes to plan I'd like to spend at least a month before we leave travelling the US and enjoying the country in an RV. But I said to the wife to start checking off that Chicago bucket list over the coming months!