Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Things to do before leaving Canada

Things to do before leaving Canada

Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:01 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Things to do before leaving Canada

Originally Posted by FlangeMcGravity
Don't worry about taxes. You will have to fill out a 2010 tax return next year, so keep your T4s. You may even geta refund!

A Canadian license can be used in the UK for up to a year after arriving before a UK license is required. Also, it can be exchanged directly at anytime for a UK license, which I think is pretty strange as it doesn't work the other way round. Gonna hang onto mine for a while in case I do anything stupid and get pulled over :-P

Been back a week now and couldn't be happier with our decision!

Cheers,
Steve
So glad things are working out for you! Have you looked into car insurance yet? I was wondering how it would affect after being gone for 7 years. My husband has never driven int he UK but has held a license for here for many years. Expensive???

Thanks and keep us posted on events.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:39 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

The following link might help those with questions about foreign driving licences:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022562

Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:40 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sashi
Hi Rogsheff...

Would you mind telling me why you want to come back to the uk?

I have been thinking about leaving the UK to live in Canada for the past year and am thinking of filling in the application forms. I am doing a bit of research and read these forums everyday to try and find out as many things about Canada and how the Brits are getting on there...

Was the whole experiance worth it?

Do you have regrets?

Why did you decide to go to Canada in the first instance? What attracted you?

I am married with 3 very young babies, ( 3 month old triplets )... I would like to move to Calgary, but before I go ahead and apply I want to read what other Brits make of Canada...

I try and read the positive comments as well as the people who seem to be fed up abroad and cant wait to get back...

It is worth it?

Sorry for all the questions... I wish you all the best and good luck with the move...

Sashi...
Wherever you look there will always be someone arriving and someone leaving. Reasons can be many fold, the worst in my opinion being moving 'for the kids' or the home country has 'gone to the dogs' for a 'better life'. Same shit different bucket, wherever you go. Move for adventure and you are in with a chance.

Some adapt easier than others, some stick it out for longer and glad they did, others just want to go back. There is not a right or wrong solution, just what is right for one may not be right for another.

I came to Canada over 15 years ago, went back and forth to the UK for work (as well as a multitude of other places), always thought of Canada as home. There is nothing I can think of that would get us to leave Canada. Was it worth it, without question.

Was it easy, not a chance. There were a few curve balls came our way and still do occasionally. Same could happen anywhere.

Personally I would not make your decisions based on the experiences of others. Make them for your own reasons. Often logic has to go out the window and just give it a go for the adventure.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:22 am
Just Joined

FlangeMcGravity is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
So glad things are working out for you! Have you looked into car insurance yet? I was wondering how it would affect after being gone for 7 years. My husband has never driven int he UK but has held a license for here for many years. Expensive???

Thanks and keep us posted on events.
I can't beleive the cost of car insurance here! It's scarily cheap. I just payed £266 for a year's insurance on a Volvo V70 which is less than a quarter what my last policy in Canada cost. And that's with no no-claims bonus and freshy arrived in the country after 8 years in Canada. Brilliant! Try www.confused.com. Not sure how your hubby's license will change things, but it doesn't hurt to have a look around.

Cheers,
Steve
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

trouncer is on a distinguished road

Hi Steve. You were in the middle of packing when I spoke to you on the phone a couple of weeks ago. So glad you got back safely and enjoying life already. Since we spoke I also heard from 2 other people saying the IT market seems to have improved in the UK recently so I hopefully what your friends said is true.

Let me know how you get on or get anything as it would be good to know if it's true. Good luck mate and welcome back. i

Last edited by trouncer; Jul 18th 2010 at 10:32 am.