British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Thanks for restoring my sanity! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/thanks-restoring-my-sanity-283474/)

Yorkshire Gal Feb 14th 2005 10:16 am

Re: Thanks for restoring my sanity!

[QUOTE=marbles]

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Gal
My husband and I love having a read of the articles on this site, we thought we were the only ones to want to go home but there are loads of us and it makes you realise your not mad. we're from Halifax and can't wait to see the hills again, we won't settle there but we'd like to be near to family again and to be able to do all the things that we can't do here. Good luck with your move we're still waiting for a buyer (we had one but they pulled out on thursday so we're back to square one) so we can go home but hopefully in the next few weeks we can set a date for flying home

Good luck with your house sale. It must be a great feeling to finally 'set the date'. Please let us know when you have things 'firmed up'.

callé Feb 15th 2005 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Gal
Good luck with Florida!

Yes its idyllic on vacation, but the day to day struggle to avoid mosquitos and keep the house free from 'palmetto bugs' -
(HUGE cockroaches, to you and me), is quite a price to pay. Oh, and if you want to keep a pet, the green, green grass of Florida is full of fleas, which your pet will bring into your home ... more work and $$$ for your pest control service! I'm in Georgia, but would swap the big house/car/land etc. in a heartbeat!

Hi Yorkshiregal,
I am heading home this year from Florida. You are right. People wonder why on earth I would want to leave here for England. I tell them Florida IS nice for a holiday but day to day getting around sweating your makeup off and drenching you clothes in high humidity is miserable. And the bugs.... a constant nightmare. I know I am giving up a large 4 bed house with large family room with 56 inch TV, minivan and car and much more... but those things leave you feeling quite empty after a while. And there is nowhere friendly to go here. Everyone in their small groups.
Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. Good luck with your return. :)

emmals Feb 15th 2005 3:33 am

Originally Posted by callë
Hi Yorkshiregal,
I am heading home this year from Florida. You are right. People wonder why on earth I would want to leave here for England. I tell them Florida IS nice for a holiday but day to day getting around sweating your makeup off and drenching you clothes in high humidity is miserable. And the bugs.... a constant nightmare. I know I am giving up a large 4 bed house with large family room with 56 inch TV, minivan and car and much more... but those things leave you feeling quite empty after a while. And there is nowhere friendly to go here. Everyone in their small groups.
Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. Good luck with your return. :)

to me heading out to florida will be like going home.....my parents have lived there for 10 years......and the time has come for us to join them.....we knew it was time when the last time we went it felt like coming home.....i worked over there temp years and years ago and hated it was glad to get back to blighty..........time wasn't right....hopefully this time it will be.......good luck to you.....home is were the heart is ;)

callé Feb 15th 2005 4:04 am

Originally Posted by emmals
to me heading out to florida will be like going home.....my parents have lived there for 10 years......and the time has come for us to join them.....we knew it was time when the last time we went it felt like coming home.....i worked over there temp years and years ago and hated it was glad to get back to blighty..........time wasn't right....hopefully this time it will be.......good luck to you.....home is were the heart is ;)

Yeah home is where the heart is, and if you felt last time that you where 'coming home' then perhaps it is the right time for you. Good luck to you. I am sure it makes your parents very happy that you can be joining them. Where abouts in Florida are you headed?

emmals Feb 15th 2005 5:54 am

Originally Posted by callë
Yeah home is where the heart is, and if you felt last time that you where 'coming home' then perhaps it is the right time for you. Good luck to you. I am sure it makes your parents very happy that you can be joining them. Where abouts in Florida are you headed?

my parents live in kissimmee...we are wanting to live in manatee county(fingers crossed)....my dream though would be anna maria :)

callé Feb 15th 2005 8:15 am

Originally Posted by emmals
my parents live in kissimmee...we are wanting to live in manatee county(fingers crossed)....my dream though would be anna maria :)

Those are all some of the nicest areas here, tho Kissimmee can get a little crowded due to Disneyworld. Best to you. I do actually have two sisters that are quite happy here and staying. :)