British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Thanks for restoring my sanity! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/thanks-restoring-my-sanity-283474/)

Yorkshire Gal Feb 11th 2005 12:10 am

Thanks for restoring my sanity!

I 'found' this forum last week and was relieved to discover that I'm not crazy - just in the 'wrong' place. Had spent many years as an expat (middle east), but NOTHING prepared me for living in the USA. I have never felt so lonely and isolated. Have tried to 'tough it out' for 4 years and it gets no better. I'm tired of living life with a permanent lump in my throat - holding back the tears.

After 3 years in the UK, my American husband and I moved to the States in 2001. We made the mistake of selling our house in the UK, but only hindsight is 20/20. I'm not really patriotic, but miss so much about the UK - the tolerance and a 'gentler' way of living. Living in the 'bible belt' doesn't help matters! Have now decided 'enough is enough', and I must return home. The USA is simply not the place for me.

As several others on the forum have said, the decision to return is HUGE, but for me, it has now become a mental health issue. I am now trying to find employment in the UK, prior to returning. We have a house to sell and lots of other hurdles to jump, but at least now I feel there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

So pleased that the forum is here ... at least I'm not alone now. Thank you all for the support that you give.

odaat Feb 11th 2005 12:48 am

Re: Thanks for restoring my sanity!

Yorkshire gal,

Assuming you are Yorkshire born ( like myself :D )
Survived the middle east ( like myself :D )
Migrated to a different continent ( like myself :D )

- Coming back to UK and establish yourself will be a doddle, as I found out myself last year :D

As for property - its just about to pop, you are much better off renting first and concentrating on settling into work.

Plenty of work and opportunity in UK.

Regards
Odaat

dunroving Feb 11th 2005 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Gal
I 'found' this forum last week and was relieved to discover that I'm not crazy - just in the 'wrong' place. Had spent many years as an expat (middle east), but NOTHING prepared me for living in the USA. I have never felt so lonely and isolated. Have tried to 'tough it out' for 4 years and it gets no better. I'm tired of living life with a permanent lump in my throat - holding back the tears.

After 3 years in the UK, my American husband and I moved to the States in 2001. We made the mistake of selling our house in the UK, but only hindsight is 20/20. I'm not really patriotic, but miss so much about the UK - the tolerance and a 'gentler' way of living. Living in the 'bible belt' doesn't help matters! Have now decided 'enough is enough', and I must return home. The USA is simply not the place for me.

As several others on the forum have said, the decision to return is HUGE, but for me, it has now become a mental health issue. I am now trying to find employment in the UK, prior to returning. We have a house to sell and lots of other hurdles to jump, but at least now I feel there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

So pleased that the forum is here ... at least I'm not alone now. Thank you all for the support that you give.

Welcome to the BE site! Whereabouts in Georgia are you?

Good luck with your job search. And don't worry: Just like the US was a shock when you got here, I'm sure you'll be surprised at how things get back to normal once you are in the UK!

scrawni Feb 11th 2005 6:56 am

It's just nice that we can help and support each other :)

I'm sure it will all be fine, plenty of work in the uk.

Let us know how it goes!

Mandy

Yorkshire Gal Feb 11th 2005 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by odaat
Yorkshire gal,

Assuming you are Yorkshire born ( like myself :D )
Survived the middle east ( like myself :D )
Migrated to a different continent ( like myself :D )

- Coming back to UK and establish yourself will be a doddle, as I found out myself last year :D

As for property - its just about to pop, you are much better off renting first and concentrating on settling into work.

Plenty of work and opportunity in UK.

Regards
Odaat

All your assumptions are correct :)
I hope you are right about the doddle! As you so rightly surmise - the property thing is the 'kicker'. The property we sold has almost TRIPLED in value in less than 4 years and our savings have definately NOT kept up the pace. Do you really think the market is about to pop? I do worry about being able to get back on the property 'ladder', but surely the current prices are crazy! People aren't earning that sort of money.

On the positive side - I just finished a telephone interview with a company in the UK. Its not Yorkshire (London, actually), but its closer than Georgia and I think it went well.

Regards,

(South) Yorkshire Gal

Yorkshire Gal Feb 11th 2005 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by scrawni
It's just nice that we can help and support each other :)

I'm sure it will all be fine, plenty of work in the uk.

Let us know how it goes!

Mandy

I agree, the suport is great! Its just good to know that someone out there understands, and that other people have successfully worked through similar issues.

I envy you in Far North Q'land. I visited Cairns and Port Douglas a few years back - God's own country.

Will keep you posted as things develop.

Warm wishes

Yorkshire Gal Feb 11th 2005 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
Welcome to the BE site! Whereabouts in Georgia are you?

Good luck with your job search. And don't worry: Just like the US was a shock when you got here, I'm sure you'll be surprised at how things get back to normal once you are in the UK!

Hi! Thanks for the welcome. It was my good luck to find the site. I am in a small town mid-way between Atlanta and Augusta.

I'm applying for LOADS of jobs & had a telephone interview today. I believe it went well!

The US continues to be a shock - 4 years on. Just goes to show that no amount of visits can compare to actually living in a place. Can't wait to feel 'normal' again.

Regards

PhillyD Feb 11th 2005 10:50 pm

So pleased that the forum is here ... at least I'm not alone now. Thank you all for the support that you give

I'm tired of living life with a permanent lump in my throat - holding back the tears.

I know exactly how you feel, and wish you all the luck in the world with your move back to the UK. I will be going back on march 5th after almost five years. Oh to feel sane again! There is light at the end of the tunnel I am sure of it, you just needed to go away to know where you really belonged. We will soon be smiling again, and will always have had the experiences of living somewhere else.

psb182 Feb 11th 2005 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyD
I'm tired of living life with a permanent lump in my throat - holding back the tears.

There is light at the end of the tunnel .

just hope it's not a train.. ;)

Lizzi Feb 12th 2005 2:43 am

From one yorkshire gal stuck in the US to another, I feel your pain. :( Best of luck in finding a job and getting back to the UK.

marbles Feb 12th 2005 6:28 am

[QUOTE=Yorkshire Gal]My husband and I love having a read of the articles on this site, we thought we were the only ones to want to go home but there are loads of us and it makes you realise your not mad. we're from Halifax and can't wait to see the hills again, we won't settle there but we'd like to be near to family again and to be able to do all the things that we can't do here. Good luck with your move we're still waiting for a buyer (we had one but they pulled out on thursday so we're back to square one) so we can go home but hopefully in the next few weeks we can set a date for flying home

emmals Feb 14th 2005 2:30 pm

good for you...you have come to realise the grass isn't always greener(this is me that wants to live in fl)but i know i shall miss yorkshire........it is a beautiful place......hope your health and sanity will return when you touch down in blighty :)

nun Feb 14th 2005 7:12 pm

Sorry you've found the USA so lonley. I would have thought that living in the South would have been the opposite. I do sympathize with your Bible Belt location though. If you have kids I'd get out of there asap before they start believing that Creationism is real science and that Fox is a real TV network.

Yorkshire Gal Feb 14th 2005 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by emmals
good for you...you have come to realise the grass isn't always greener(this is me that wants to live in fl)but i know i shall miss yorkshire........it is a beautiful place......hope your health and sanity will return when you touch down in blighty :)

Good luck with Florida!

Yes its idyllic on vacation, but the day to day struggle to avoid mosquitos and keep the house free from 'palmetto bugs' -
(HUGE cockroaches, to you and me), is quite a price to pay. Oh, and if you want to keep a pet, the green, green grass of Florida is full of fleas, which your pet will bring into your home ... more work and $$$ for your pest control service! I'm in Georgia, but would swap the big house/car/land etc. in a heartbeat!

Yorkshire Gal Feb 14th 2005 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by nun
Sorry you've found the USA so lonley. I would have thought that living in the South would have been the opposite. I do sympathize with your Bible Belt location though. If you have kids I'd get out of there asap before they start believing that Creationism is real science and that Fox is a real TV network.

Yes, I have found it to be lonely. People seem to socialize with their own families and there are no town centres/pubs or meeting places (unless you consider the strip malls!). I find society here is very conservative and rigid. You're right;the theory of evolution has not fallen on fertile ground here. Give me the moderation and tolerance of the UK every time. Fox news is frightening. Check out the 'Link' TV channel - gives a very different perspective from the rest of the pap.