Reload this Page >

Temporary Car Insurance in UK

Wikiposts

Temporary Car Insurance in UK

Old Sep 5th 2007, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Groover is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Temporary Car Insurance in UK

Gahhh... Tomorrow I leave for a three week trip to the UK and I have just found out that I don't have enough car insurance coverage.

While I am there I will drive a relative's car. They have insurance with me on it, but they switched to the Post Office for their insurance and the Post Office will only add me for two weeks at a time. So I am stuck for one week with no insurance.

Does anyone know of a place either in the US or in the UK to buy a week's work of insurance for me to use someone else's car? Hopefully it will be cheaper than renting a car. Thanks!

Andy
Old Sep 5th 2007, 5:02 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Temporary Car Insurance in UK

Originally Posted by Groover
Gahhh... Tomorrow I leave for a three week trip to the UK and I have just found out that I don't have enough car insurance coverage.

While I am there I will drive a relative's car. They have insurance with me on it, but they switched to the Post Office for their insurance and the Post Office will only add me for two weeks at a time. So I am stuck for one week with no insurance.

Does anyone know of a place either in the US or in the UK to buy a week's work of insurance for me to use someone else's car? Hopefully it will be cheaper than renting a car. Thanks!

Andy
re the post office....how many hrs/days do they need inbetween reinstating you on the insurance?
Old Sep 5th 2007, 5:09 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Andy
Andy, no offense, but it costs money to underwrite a policy, even for a week. Paperwork blah blah blah........
So with the risk of the likelihood of an accident small, the short duration of the policy will not be worth it for a company to insure you. And if it were, it's likely to be in the region of $100 for the week, rather than just say a tenner. As it costs just as much to underwrite a policy for a week as it does a year.

What I did was wrote a PLUP here in the USA which offers third party liability insurance upto $1000000 worldwide if I drove a car and got into a wreck.
but doesn't cover anything fully comp.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 5:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. I found that Norwich Union writes daily insurance:

https://www.norwichunionshortterminsurance.co.uk

It appears they will do it for holders of UK licenses who don't live there. My quote for five days was 37.50 GBP. Compared to a rental car which would be around 130 GBP this is more affordable.

Andy
Old Sep 5th 2007, 5:38 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

It appears they will do it for holders of UK licenses who don't live there. My quote for five days was 37.50 GBP. Compared to a rental car which would be around 130 GBP this is more affordable.

Andy
sweet, way to prove me wrong then! *LOL*
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:27 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Andy
Ahem.....I don't think so.

It clearly states that the person wishing to buy the policy must be in possession of a VALID, UK driving licence.

If you're not resident in the UK (and if you're living in the USA and just on your hols in Blighty then you're not a UK resident) then you're not eligible to be covered under the Norwich Union temporary policy.

I'm not saying that you can't buy it....but you might have problems getting them to pay out if you get into an accident...
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:35 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ahem.....I don't think so.

It clearly states that the person wishing to buy the policy must be in possession of a VALID, UK driving licence.

If you're not resident in the UK (and if you're living in the USA and just on your hols in Blighty then you're not a UK resident) then you're not eligible to be covered under the Norwich Union temporary policy.

I'm not saying that you can't buy it....but you might have problems getting them to pay out if you get into an accident...
It may be worth giving them a call though. We were back in the UK for 6 months a couple of years ago, and bought a car for our time there, figuring to sell it again when we left. We struggled to get insurance because like Englishmum said, most companies wouldn't cover us as non-residents. In the end I got a helpful rep on Norwich Union Direct helpline who worked with us and eventually we got a policy written that specifically recognized us as non-residents, even though their usual smallprint states that you need to be resident.

Ps - at the end of the 6 months, we couldn't sell the car - we still have it, and use it when we go back...the out of pocket costs are cheaper than renting, but that excludes the depreciation. So if anyone is moving back and wants a well maintained, very low mileage Mazda MPV Diesel, drop me a line.....
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:45 am
Just Joined

I do have a valid UK license, so I don't see a problem there. Valid until 2045.

You have to give a reason on the NU site for wanting the insurance. One of the options is "Driving a relatives/friends car while visting the UK, with a UK driver's license".

Andy
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I do have a valid UK license, so I don't see a problem there. Valid until 2045.

You have to give a reason on the NU site for wanting the insurance. One of the options is "Driving a relatives/friends car while visting the UK, with a UK driver's license".

Andy
A few years ago when I enquired about changing my license to the new photo ID type...I was told I wasn't eligible for a UK license because I wasn't a resident and that my old one was not valid. I didn't mention in my email that I didn't live in the UK...maybe they found out through my email address I don't know.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

what about your credit card? they usually have some form of insurance coverage.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:04 am
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Bob
what about your credit card? they usually have some form of insurance coverage.
It sometimes carries collision damage, but not liability.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:10 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A few years ago when I enquired about changing my license to the new photo ID type...I was told I wasn't eligible for a UK license because I wasn't a resident and that my old one was not valid. .

Given that we own and drive a car in the UK when we go back, I was a bit worried about this so I emailed the DVLA as follows:
I am a UK citizen, currently living overseas. I still have property in the UK, and a car (which is always taxed and insured asI use it when I return on visits). I have been told that my UK Licence is no longer valid because I am not a UK resident? Please can you confirm whether this is indeed the case?
Unquote
Overnight I got a reply back as follows:
you are residing abroad you will still be covered to drive on your GB licence on your return visits to GB.

You may use your GB licence for driving in all other European Community/European Economic Area (EC/EEA) member states.

Check with your local motoring organisation office if you want to drive in a non EC/EEA country. They will tell you if you need an International Driving Permit, and issue one if needed.
Unquote
So I reckon we're OK still....

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; Sep 7th 2007 at 4:37 am.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Given that we own and drive a car in the UK when we go back, I was a bit worried about this so I emailed the DVLA as follows:
I am a UK citizen, currently living overseas. I still have property in the UK, and a car (which is always taxed and insured asI use it when I return on visits). I have been told that my UK Licence is no longer valid because I am not a UK resident? Please can you confirm whether this is indeed the case?
Unquote

Overnight I got a reply back as follows:
you are residing abroad you will still be covered to drive on your GB licence on your return visits to GB.

You may use your GB licence for driving in all other European Community/European Economic Area (EC/EEA) member states.

Check with your local motoring organisation office if you want to drive in a non EC/EEA country. They will tell you if you need an International Driving Permit, and issue one if needed.
Unquote
I presumed my old one was not valid because I was no longer at the address on the license...you do have a UK address. I was told I couldn't apply for a new license because I was not resident in the UK.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I presumed my old one was not valid because I was no longer at the address on the license...you do have a UK address. I was told I couldn't apply for a new license because I was not resident in the UK.
Haven't you got a relative whose address you could use? All my stuff goes to my Mums...
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:42 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
i

we have a house there with my little car in the garage patiently waiting for me and i have never had any probs with my insurance or getting my new uk licence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.