Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Telling people I am leaving - my social experiment...

Wikiposts

Telling people I am leaving - my social experiment...

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_town is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Telling people I am leaving - my social experiment...

Originally Posted by islandergirl
OK so a lot of others on this forum have been abused by Aussies or have had people express amazement at their wish to return to the UK.

So in the interests of a social experiment I have been telling a random selection of people (some I know, some I don't) about my plans, and not a single person has been negative so far.

Maybe it's the way I say it, a bit tactful eg saying I like it here but want to be in my own country with family around, or maybe my random selection are not v representative of the general population.

Anyway what I am getting at here is that you may find that (some) people are a lot kinder and more understanding than you may give them credit for.

Just my two pennies for the day...
Yes, I agree that one has to be very diplomatic when telling the natives that there is a possibility of leaving 'God's country'. Whenever I have mentioned it, I have been met with incredulous looks and comments. I always emphasise the pull factors (my family) versus the push factors (sense of not quite belonging etc)

I belong to an International Group here in Iliinois. Most of the women are European, a few Indian, but even though we meet once a month and have a good old moan about the US and things we dislike here, we are all STILL HERE. So it cannot be that bad I guess!

But I know if I was back in Ireland and some 'foreigner' was talking about leaving and the things he hated about Ireland, well I would be ticked off. It might be a dump, but it's MY dump! Well actually its not a dump, I am being a bit harsh. But then its like family, you can be highly critical of your own, but no-one else is allowed to voice any disapproval.

Susie.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telling people I am leaving - my social experiment...

Nah!
Next week I'll compile a list of the folk I don't like here(not many) and rip into Oz.
What a big immature boy I am.