Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

TELL ME ABOUT SUMMER IN SCOTLAND 2008

TELL ME ABOUT SUMMER IN SCOTLAND 2008

Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TELL ME ABOUT SUMMER IN SCOTLAND 2008

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I quite like Scotland, been there a few times. had a memorable holiday with one girlfriend where we were up there for 5 days and it rained more or less non stop. We had a good tiime driving around and running from hotel to hotel from the car. But cabin fever was setting in and we broke up about a week after returning. The weather did me a favour long term though

That year we went up the M6 and turned west into Scotland through Dumfries and ended up ina lovely little port town, called Port Patrick (I think, could have been Douglas, or William, the memory is hazy ).

Went on through Ayeshire up to inverell and down through Perth.

On a trip back to England on 2000 I ventured up there and stayed with a work colleague's sister in Paisley as I wanted to see radiohead who were playing at some big open air venue somewhere in Glasgow (I forget). I quite liked Glasgow, it was much more cosmopolitan than i imagined it would be, but i was there mid week so no Friday night pub shennanigans to be had (thankfully). The pub in Paisley did have iron bars on the windows though! Another frined was horrified that i'd stayed there. Seemed ok to me. But then again i liked Limerick in Ireland and later found out it had a reputation for stabbings. wasn't long after that I went to live in Colombia

The thing I liked about Scotland the most, was the drama of the countryside. being from Somerset I'm used to seeing my share of beautiful countryside, but there is something about the ruggedness of Scotland that appeals to me, especially the way the hills and mountains seem to come straight out of the ground. And a lack of hedges and roadside walls makes you feel closer to it all, somehow.

Gretna Green was crap though
That's so funny, as most people I know from back home (Scotland) would agree

Yes, the Highlands are absolutely beautiful. Nothing like it, in my mind. My favourite area is round about Mallaig and Arisaig, beautiful
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:27 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mackinnon
This was summer in Scotland 2008.

It was like this most days. (Ahem)
you barsteward:curse:
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:44 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
you barsteward:curse:
Awright Maigret!

If it's any consolation those pictures were taken in Skye in June, when we had 2 weeks of Mediterranean weather (they had already had 4 weeks of that weather before we got up there).

And since then.........PURE PISH WEATHER!!!

Although for some strange reason, just as I typed that line above, the sun came streaming in through the window!!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=mackinnon;6891447]Awright Maigret!

If it's any consolation those pictures were taken in Skye in June, when we had 2 weeks of Mediterranean weather (they had already had 4 weeks of that weather before we got up there).

And since then.........PURE PISH WEATHER!!!

Although for some strange reason, just as I typed that line above, the sun came streaming

I always remember your thread 'what am i not getting about australia', well i aint getting it either, however i have booked a hol nxt june to bonnie scotland and hopefully this will help me apppreciate oz

anyway my scottish itinerary so far is

open top bus tour in glasgow
open tob bus tour in edinburgh,
weekend in skye (and try to find as many skeochs as poss, its a joke between sis and i )
trip to lochness

gettin pished with rellies and friends at every opportunity possible, lol

Last edited by Margaret3; Oct 20th 2008 at 12:22 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Marmalade
That's so funny, as most people I know from back home (Scotland) would agree

Yes, the Highlands are absolutely beautiful. Nothing like it, in my mind. My favourite area is round about Mallaig and Arisaig, beautiful

unbeeeeeeelievably i once spent a week in the isle of muck dont ask , long story but we met a guy from oz therelovely guy and took him back to our home in Blantrye, my dad loved him:
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Margaret3
unbeeeeeeelievably i once spent a week in the isle of muck dont ask , long story but we met a guy from oz therelovely guy and took him back to our home in Blantrye, my dad loved him:

picking up strange men,,,,mmmmmmmmm,

what a small world!!!!
i lived in blantyre for 23yrs,i'm assuming it was blantyre you meant to type?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I always remember your thread 'what am i not getting about australia', well i aint getting it either, however i have booked a hol nxt june to bonnie scotland and hopefully this will help me apppreciate oz
I doubt it. Probably just make you appreciate Melbourne airport and one way tickets more
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fitz
picking up strange men,,,,mmmmmmmmm,

what a small world!!!!
i lived in blantyre for 23yrs,i'm assuming it was blantyre you meant to type?
yep, mum and rellies still there, ,
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I doubt it. Probably just make you appreciate Melbourne airport and one way tickets more

god i hope not as husband and children are hell bent on staying here
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

KILLIELASS is just really niceKILLIELASS is just really niceKILLIELASS is just really niceKILLIELASS is just really niceKILLIELASS is just really niceKILLIELASS is just really niceKILLIELASS is just really niceKILLIELASS is just really nice

Hi Margaret,
I'm in Killie and have to say it was rubbish, as was last year!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by KILLIELASS
Hi Margaret,
I'm in Killie and have to say it was rubbish, as was last year!
sorry killielass, but it aint so great here either (18 months and not one annual leave amongst it am so sick of it), at least with the nhs you get bloody holidays, am exhausted and badly in need of a break, can i afford a break, can i heck as like, xmas is coming, and with xmas comes the bloody massive school expenses

I miss killie so much , its a place that kinda gets under your skin, we had a lovely house across from dean park, we have shit all here, biggest mistake of our lives, we have no pot to piss in now.

Whats your story killielass, you comin to oz, if so where? , hopefully mellie, and we can have a drink or two, lol

Last edited by Margaret3; Oct 22nd 2008 at 10:39 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:24 am
Just Joined

KILLIELASS is just really niceKILLIELASS is just really niceKILLIELASS is just really niceKILLIELASS is just really niceKILLIELASS is just really niceKILLIELASS is just really niceKILLIELASS is just really niceKILLIELASS is just really nice
Wink Re: TELL ME ABOUT SUMMER IN SCOTLAND 2008

Hi Margaret,
No, not moving to Australia. We nearly went in the late 70's after hubby was paid off from Massey Ferguson, but just before interview at Australia house he got acceptance for another job in Bracknell in the south of England (big mistake)! We lived there for 4 years and hated it! We returned to Killie and have been there ever since (just as you say there must be something attractive about it). Now weans are grown up with weans of there own and with only hubby's mum left here, there isn't a chance in hell of known how different life might have been down under. Don't get me wrong, I'm not moaning about how life's turned out, I've been really lucky to have had a good life here without many traumas, but as they say it's better to regret what you did, not what you didn't! I like to read the threads to hear about how life is for Scottish ex pats. To be honest Margaret, I like to hear bad reviews about it just to make me feel better - is that sick???
Anyhow, enough of me moaning, just to tell you I walk the dog regularly round the nature trail so must pass your old house, and if you've any message you'd like me to pass on to any old friends in Killie I'll do my best to get in touch with them.
p.s. When did you move there?
p.p.s. Just to make you feel better, weather is hellish today!
Speak to you soon,
killielass X

Last edited by KILLIELASS; Oct 23rd 2008 at 10:27 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 5:15 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz
Hi there,

In terms of weighing up should we return to Scotland we are interested to hear your views on Scottish weather. How did you rate the summer of 2008 and did you get many sunny days and what outdoor activities did you manage to do?

Being a Scot I have fond memories of the Scottish outdoors but as a family (my missus s from South Africa) we are looking at various factors of where to from here (currently in NZ and not settled).

So, would love to hear you comments good or bad, let’s hear it.

Cheers the noo

Am typing this on a dark stormy night! its dark by 6pm now, and when in full winter it will be dark by about 330pm. It rained most of the summer - well in Central Scotland it did, a few odd sunny days but that was it. 2008 was not a good year generally weatherwise. On saying that, you aren't gonna be moving to Scotland for the weather. The outdoor activities , well they still go on most of them come rain or shine. You just gotta invest in good waterproofs and you can never have too many layers
Old Oct 24th 2008, 4:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by KILLIELASS
Hi Margaret,
No, not moving to Australia. We nearly went in the late 70's after hubby was paid off from Massey Ferguson, but just before interview at Australia house he got acceptance for another job in Bracknell in the south of England (big mistake)! We lived there for 4 years and hated it! We returned to Killie and have been there ever since (just as you say there must be something attractive about it). Now weans are grown up with weans of there own and with only hubby's mum left here, there isn't a chance in hell of known how different life might have been down under. Don't get me wrong, I'm not moaning about how life's turned out, I've been really lucky to have had a good life here without many traumas, but as they say it's better to regret what you did, not what you didn't! I like to read the threads to hear about how life is for Scottish ex pats. To be honest Margaret, I like to hear bad reviews about it just to make me feel better - is that sick???
Anyhow, enough of me moaning, just to tell you I walk the dog regularly round the nature trail so must pass your old house, and if you've any message you'd like me to pass on to any old friends in Killie I'll do my best to get in touch with them.
p.s. When did you move there?
p.p.s. Just to make you feel better, weather is hellish today!
Speak to you soon,
killielass X

Bad reviews that make you feel better , make perfect sense to me

am soooooooooojealous you get to walk your dog round the nature trail of DP, walking your dog here is shite, nowhere lets you let them off the lead, i sneak around ovals after dark.

Thanks for the offer of getting in touch, but i keep regular contact with friends, love to here the gossip of the hospital, its wot keeps me going, am coming back for a holiday nxt june, we could meet for a glass of wine or two, god i cant wait pubs, wooooooo hoooooooo , i love a bar lunch at the cochrane, gateshead, mmmmmmmmmmm, and not forgetting the carvery on a sunday at fenwick hotel,

gotta stop torturing myself like this!!!

Last edited by Margaret3; Oct 24th 2008 at 4:16 am.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Hi Margaret,
Glad to hear you keep in touch with pals back 'home'. Do you get the Standard posted out to you? I know we did when we stayed in England. Keep telling me all the shitey bits about Melbourne (not letting dogs off lead, poor mutts)!!! and I'll tell you all the crap stuff about Killie, (being taken over by neds etc.) then we might both be happy where we are LOL, grass isn't green anywhere really??? Maybe your wee holiday will get it out your system?
p.s. At least it'll be dry when you walk dog there!
p.p.s. Is it maybe just Melbourne that's crap or everywhere in Australia?
killielass X

Last edited by KILLIELASS; Oct 24th 2008 at 12:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.