Taxes

Old Jan 4th 2016, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

pammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taxes

If I move back to UK & leave a canadian bank account with some money in it, maybe $20,000 will I have to let the UK tax dept know and will I be taxed on it?

TIA
Old Jan 4th 2016, 12:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxes

You certainly won't be taxed on the balance, that is not how tax works in the UK, but you will be taxed on interested earned after you return to the UK.

I do not know if there is a reporting requirement for the existence of the account.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 1:41 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

There is no reporting requirement. But, you will have to fill in the foreign income pages of the annual tax return.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

pammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Im just thinking its wise to leave an account open when I leave as I have canadian citizenship and you never know what the future holds, maybe one day I will want to return!
Old Jan 4th 2016, 3:15 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

You might find it a drag to fill in the tax forms every year, just to report the interest on your Canadian account. Can't you transfer most of the money and just leave a token amount in the account?
Old Jan 4th 2016, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Editha
You might find it a drag to fill in the tax forms every year, just to report the interest on your Canadian account. Can't you transfer most of the money and just leave a token amount in the account?

I didnt think $10,000 was that much, Im hoping to maybe start up a small business or buy one when I move back so Id have an accountant doing my books anyway, something to think about though, thanks
Old Jan 4th 2016, 3:29 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

You said $20,000 in your first post!
Old Jan 4th 2016, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Editha
You said $20,000 in your first post!
DOH!...LOL!!

I am blonde and it was early