Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Tax questions - returning to UK

Wikiposts

Tax questions - returning to UK

Old Dec 11th 2009, 3:33 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax questions - returning to UK

Firstly, apologies for probably putting a new thread which has probably been covered before, I did a search for 'tax' and it came up with 250 pages. I checked the first 6 pages and none were relevant, so here goes:

I am working in education, so would return to UK on the first of July, whichever year I return. My questions are:

Regarding income:
-Would I have to pay tax on my gratuity if I brought it back into the country?
- Would I have to pay retrospective tax on the income I earned overseas from the April to June of the year I return?
- I will be selling the car which I have overseas, prior to returning to UK. I would be bringing that money back to UK. Would I have to pay tax on this as it is not work related income?

Other:
I have a house in UK which is my only house. However I bought it in 2003 whilst working overseas. I have never lived in it, and have rented it out.

- How long would I have to live in it after returning to UK before I wouldnt have to pay CGT?
- I understand there is a certain amount (a %age I believe) profit on a house which you are allowed to receive, per year, on a house as described above. Does anybody know what this %age is?

thanks for any advice and information.