Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

tax for Money send to the husband account

tax for Money send to the husband account

Old Oct 9th 2023, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Helen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default tax for Money send to the husband account

Hi

I just moved to the US to work from UK last year and my husband lives in the UK. I want to transfer my money to my husband to support his living and also avoid to report Fbar next year in the US.
1. Is there any tax for me or my husband for the money transfer between us?
2, Do I or my husband have to declare the money to HMRC?
I search online and it said that if my husband lives in the UK, I can transfer as much as I want to him and there are not any tax behind it.
3. May I understand it like both my husband and I do not have to pay any tax on money transfer and both my husband and I do not need to declare anything to hmrc, correct?

4. Based on the current rule, does it mean he can only transfer 3000 gbp to me every year without declaring it because I live in the US?

Thanks,

Helen
Old Oct 9th 2023, 1:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax for Money send to the husband account

Transfers between spouses are not taxable in either the US or UK, and even the rules on gifts and "potentially exempt transfers" (UK tax rule on gifts) do not apply. So you can move money between your accounts and those of your husband, back and forth, whenever you like and as often as you like, with neither tax nor reporting consequences.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 9th 2023 at 1:28 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2023, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Transfers between spouses are not taxable in either the US or UK, and even the rules on gifts and "potentially exempt transfers" (UK tax rule on gifts) do not apply. So you can move money between your accounts and those of your husband, back and forth, whenever you like and as often as you like, with neither tax nor reporting consequences.
That is also my understanding.
Old Oct 9th 2023, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Helen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks. that is super helpful. It worried me for a while.
Old Oct 9th 2023, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
That is also my understanding.
Many thanks

Helen
Old Nov 1st 2023, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry for one extra stupid question. I assume no tax and report requirements for unlimit money transfer between spouses are not only limit to transfer between US bank accounts and between UK bank accounts but also between UK and US bank accounts, right?
Old Nov 1st 2023, 8:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1234
Sorry for one extra stupid question. I assume no tax and report requirements for unlimit money transfer between spouses are not only limit to transfer between US bank accounts and between UK bank accounts but also between UK and US bank accounts, right?
Yes, you are correct. Transfers between spouses have no tax consequences, either in the US or UK, no matter where the sending and receiving banks are, US, UK, one of each (either direction), or if one, the other, or both are in other countries, such as Switzerland, the Cayman Islands, etc.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 1st 2023 at 8:43 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2023, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, you are correct. Transfers between spouses, have no tax consequences either in the US or UK no matter where the sending and receiving banks are, US, UK, one of each, or if one, the other, or both are in other countries, such as Switzerland, the Cayman Islands, etc.
many thanks and I assume there are no reporting requirement as well and this is suitable for both UK and US tax laws, right?

Last edited by Helen1234; Nov 1st 2023 at 8:43 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2023, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Helen1234
I assume there are no reporting requirement as well and this is suitable for both UK and US tax laws, right?
Correct, there are no reporting or disclosure requirements either.
Old Nov 1st 2023, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Correct, there are no reporting or disclosure requirements either.
many thanks