Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking US TV sets back to UK??

Wikiposts

Taking US TV sets back to UK??

Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:25 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking US TV sets back to UK??

has anyone done this. DH has the idea that Sony doesnt make separately manufactured TV sets for the US and UK but that they can be reset/configured to work in either location (electrically and transmitterly wise).

Naturally as a bird, I have no bloody idea about whether this is the case or not.

Anyone know?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:33 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking US TV sets back to UK??

Depends on the specific tv. Some of the more modern ones might be designed to accept the 110-220 power difference, but there are other issues that you should consider.

For example, I have a Philiips that I bought in Hong Kong. It works with 110-220, and can display PAL and NTSC, but it has a SCART plug on the back, not a coaxial cable, and it does not support US closed captions. In addition the warranty is Asia only so if I took it to a US repair shop I'd be out of luck. The model number is something like 130ETR543A (made up). When I did some research I found there was an American variant of the same tv, model 130ERT543B which had coax and closed captions and a nicer remote.

So, while they may make a general 'base' model that you see worldwide, there are slight differences that can apply to make it not worth transporting.

You'll have to really delve into the specifics. Try the US expats in the UK messageboard. They have a whole section on what electronics you can bring from the US to the UK. http://talk.uk-yankee.com/ But try it tomorrow (it's down for repairs tonight).
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:35 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Depends on the specific tv. Some of the more modern ones might be designed to accept the 110-220 power difference, but there are other issues that you should consider.

For example, I have a Philiips that I bought in Hong Kong. It works with 110-220, and can display PAL and NTSC, but it has a SCART plug on the back, not a coaxial cable, and it does not support US closed captions. In addition the warranty is Asia only so if I took it to a US repair shop I'd be out of luck. The model number is something like 130ETR543A (made up). When I did some research I found there was an American variant of the same tv, model 130ERT543B which had coax and closed captions and a nicer remote.

So, while they may make a general 'base' model that you see worldwide, there are slight differences that can apply to make it not worth transporting.

You'll have to really delve into the specifics. Try the US expats in the UK messageboard. They have a whole section on what electronics you can bring from the US to the UK. http://talk.uk-yankee.com/ But try it tomorrow (it's down for repairs tonight).
Crikey, thanks for the info, totally OVER my head, will pass on info to DH and he can sort it out, thanks though, looks hopeful!
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
It works with 110-220, and can display PAL and NTSC,
Sorry if dumb - but hasn't the digital TV signal replaced PAL and NTSC?
IE weren't PAL and NTSC analogue signals.

Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:37 am
In Orange County, CA.

Originally Posted by cranston

our tvs are definately digital
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranston

TV stations still transmit via the airways using PAL in Europe but NTSC was eliminated when analog was dropped earlier this year in the US. For digital transmissions, the US and Europe use a different standard.

TVs manufactured for the US market do not support tuners for digital reception in Europe and TVs manufactured For Europe do not support tuners for digital reception in the US.

The US transmits digital at 60 frames per second and Europe at 50 frames per second.

A US TV will not be able to receive digital transmissions via the airways in Europe. If you subscribe to a cable or satellite service in Europe, a US TV may or may not work correctly if it is connected to the converter box using the HDMI or Component connection since the TV may or may not support 50 frames per second.