Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Did anyone manage to get their Super out when they left Oz??

Did anyone manage to get their Super out when they left Oz??

Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Did anyone manage to get their Super out when they left Oz??

I did a search and it seems to be the consensus that you can't, but just wondering if any one has actually managed to do it?

Have spoke to the Super fund today as well and they have said no.

It's bl***y annoying that Oz is quite happy for you to transfer your pension from the UK to an Australian fund when you emigrate but won't let you transfer it back to a UK fund when you leave.

Wish we'd never transfered it in the first place now, at least we'd still have the UK amount over there.

Last edited by stm1971; Aug 24th 2009 at 10:11 am. Reason: Sp.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 1:47 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did anyone manage to get their Super out when they left Oz??

Originally Posted by stm1971
I did a search and it seems to be the consensus that you can't, but just wondering if any one has actually managed to do it?

Have spoke to the Super fund today as well and they have said no.

It's bl***y annoying that Oz is quite happy for you to transfer your pension from the UK to an Australian fund when you emigrate but won't let you transfer it back to a UK fund when you leave.

Wish we'd never transfered it in the first place now, at least we'd still have the UK amount over there.

TraceyW did.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
TraceyW did.
Cheers NB. Any idea how?? Will try to PM her it if she doesn't see this.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 2:09 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers NB. Any idea how?? Will try to PM her it if she doesn't see this.
No idea I am afraid, just remember her saying she did. PM the best way to go.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
No idea I am afraid, just remember her saying she did. PM the best way to go.
No worries, thanks again NB. I'll Pm her.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh, can you let me kow then, as this is something the OH needs to do - Ta!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:32 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Just go to www.ato.gov.au and do a search for DASP (departing Australia Super Payment) if over $5K you will need to know exactly how much and fill out a form for DIAC (Dept. Immigration) as well. All of this has to occur after departing Australia for good. Hope this helps. Oh and the number for tax office is 13 28 61 for tax enquiries and 13 10 20 for super enquiries if your ringing from outside Australia +61 2 6216 1111 (8am-5pm AEST.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meljor
Just go to www.ato.gov.au and do a search for DASP (departing Australia Super Payment) if over $5K you will need to know exactly how much and fill out a form for DIAC (Dept. Immigration) as well. All of this has to occur after departing Australia for good. Hope this helps. Oh and the number for tax office is 13 28 61 for tax enquiries and 13 10 20 for super enquiries if your ringing from outside Australia +61 2 6216 1111 (8am-5pm AEST.
I 'thought' that this could be done only for the voluntary amount and not the whole sum? I hope I'm wrong though!

I know Tracey got hers but gawd knows how as I really thought it was next to impossible.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:57 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I 'thought' that this could be done only for the voluntary amount and not the whole sum? I hope I'm wrong though!

I know Tracey got hers but gawd knows how as I really thought it was next to impossible.
Me too, I'm banking on it
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it only applied to temporary residents http://www.treasury.gov.au/documents...rannuation.htm unless there is some clause which says that a permanent resident visa holder who can prove that their visa has expired may be entitled to claim. If you are a citizen then all bets are off.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:03 am
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by quoll
I thought it only applied to temporary residents http://www.treasury.gov.au/documents...rannuation.htm unless there is some clause which says that a permanent resident visa holder who can prove that their visa has expired may be entitled to claim. If you are a citizen then all bets are off.
I understand from my conversations with the ATO that cancellation of my permanent residency status i.e not obtaining a leave to return visa would amount to the same thing. I hope I am not wrong.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quoll
Unfortunately it does seem to only apply to temporary residents. We are citizens and from further research today it is not looking good. TraceyW has given me a sliver of hope (thanks TraceyW) that we may be able to release it, but we will have to see if we qualify, need to find out more info first.

Interestingly I found this memo

http://taxreview.treasury.gov.au/con...C_20090227.rtf

that states that if Australia allows the transfer of money into a fund from overseas it should also allow the transfer of money out again. I have to say I agree wholeheartedly.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meljor
I understand from my conversations with the ATO that cancellation of my permanent residency status i.e not obtaining a leave to return visa would amount to the same thing. I hope I am not wrong.
I hope that is true for you meljor and you can access it. Good luck.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:17 am
Yorkshire Lass

I hope that is true for you meljor and you can access it. Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Interesting article.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:34 am
Yorkshire Lass

Having read through a lot of the bumpf on the ATO website I notice they state that "eligible temporary residents" can claim their super back. However, nowhere can I find a definition of what constitutes "eligible temporary residents". Did I ever mention how much I loath this country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.