Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking TVs/Fridges etc back to UK

Taking TVs/Fridges etc back to UK

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:13 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of
Default Taking TVs/Fridges etc back to UK

I rang LG yesterday to ask about the possibility of taking my plasma back to the UK. They told me although it would work there, they do not recommend you take back fridges/tvs/electronics because each item is made specifically for that countrys market, and if anything fails on it when you are in the UK you will not be able to get the parts required without great expense. They said all brands would say the same thing, and they also recommend that UK leavers do not bring their electronics here either. Apparently they have lost count of the UK fridges etc that have had something go wrong here and not be able to be fixed.

So if anyone wants a plasma, lol..........
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking TVs/Fridges etc back to UK

Originally Posted by cherry6
I rang LG yesterday to ask about the possibility of taking my plasma back to the UK. They told me although it would work there, they do not recommend you take back fridges/tvs/electronics because each item is made specifically for that countrys market, and if anything fails on it when you are in the UK you will not be able to get the parts required without great expense. They said all brands would say the same thing, and they also recommend that UK leavers do not bring their electronics here either. Apparently they have lost count of the UK fridges etc that have had something go wrong here and not be able to be fixed.

I wouldn't necessarily go along with that cherry. There have been lots of people post on here that their plasma's etc have worked when they've shipped them home. Some after some technical adjustment but they have worked. I'm sure there will be lots of positive advice on this from others.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:32 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if this is useless info for you in Australia or not But my Uk LCD Flat screen TV works fine in Canada.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:44 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I brought a Hong Kong tv back to the US, which is really a stretch because of the NTSC-PAL issues and the voltage issues, but the thing works fine.

However, it is not under warranty as our warranty was 'Asia-only' (and many warranties are country-only. It also doesn't support US closed captions (which is not a big deal).
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

I'd be inclined to disagree with this guy, you may come accross issue using TV with say a british DVD player but would imagine it would be OK if not too old.

We came over from UK to NZ with a fridge, a freezer, Phillips recordable DVD player, computer, washing machine, tumble drier, CD players and even the kettle. We did have a couple of portable TV's but because they were so old didn't have scart lead thingy so couldn't connect up with DVD players or something like that. Apart from that everything bar the tumble drier is still going strong and is in use 4 and a half years later!!!

We are going back next year and the plasma and LCD screens will going back also, plus 2 computers and a laptop.

I agree none of what you take backwill be under gaurantee and it may not be so easy to get parts, but ho hum, sometimes not that easy getting parts when they are actually bought in the UK!!!

I would look further into this and ask around or could end up being expensive. Good Luck.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 11:41 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering why you wanted to take blood with you.......then I realised what you meant! Ooooops, I really must get a brain up-grade!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

needasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really nice

i am currently having this debate with hubby

So will i be able to watch pal on my canadian tv - and will it hook up to sky?

it is a panasonic flatpanel hdmi tv ( i think)

any ideas?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:10 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by needasmack
i am currently having this debate with hubby

So will i be able to watch pal on my canadian tv - and will it hook up to sky?

it is a panasonic flatpanel hdmi tv ( i think)

any ideas?
We had to mess with the ariel conection here in Canada cos they are screw ins and Uk are generally push in ( or ours was) and you will def need a converter if their isn't one built in....you should be able to watch tv and its all going Digital in the UK soon so you will need a HD for that . Not sure on the sky one ...........
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:33 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

We had a trip back to Uk recently and bought a groovy new DVD/DivX player and it's since died on us only 2 months later!! Australian repairs centres wont touch it coz we have a Uk receipt so we're stuck with having to post it back, get family to sort it all out and then we'll just leave it there until our permanent return next year.
It's been a huge pain in the a**, so we've decided to sell off all our australian electronics -Bosch fridge/freezer and washing machine,dryer and 42 inch LCD TV. Just no point in taking them back if we're to have the same problems over there if they break and need repaired.

*pearly*
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:06 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

well we shipped our us style fridge freezer back and despite what the shippers said packed it full of stuff as there was no way i was paying for all that empty space.

everything was fine until we tried to get into our new house as it would not fit through the door. luckily after taking doors off house and fridge plus some extra muscle we squeezed it in. since this weve heard of people hiring cranes in london to lift these large fridges over the house to the back garden in order to get them in.

fridge is quite old now but has survived one move in oz, international move and one move in uk and still going strong.

we also have 2 oz tvs being used which are both fine. one even has the correct tuner so works perfectly teletext and all. a uk tv we took out to oz and left switched off in a garage for nearly 5 years also worked again and has been fine since we got back. they are obviously sturdier than we think.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 5:05 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by dugongs
well we shipped our us style fridge freezer back and despite what the shippers said packed it full of stuff as there was no way i was paying for all that empty space.

everything was fine until we tried to get into our new house as it would not fit through the door. luckily after taking doors off house and fridge plus some extra muscle we squeezed it in. since this weve heard of people hiring cranes in london to lift these large fridges over the house to the back garden in order to get them in.

fridge is quite old now but has survived one move in oz, international move and one move in uk and still going strong.

we also have 2 oz tvs being used which are both fine. one even has the correct tuner so works perfectly teletext and all. a uk tv we took out to oz and left switched off in a garage for nearly 5 years also worked again and has been fine since we got back. they are obviously sturdier than we think.
I like your style
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

miss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant future

Just going through the 'do we take electricals' process now & not sure what to do. TV wise we haven't got fancy plasma - just great big heavy things (not old-but bought at seconds world a couple of years ago for about $700/800 each) & I am wondering whether it is worth paying the shipping on them just to discover they don't work at the other end.Ditto fridge. How expensive are people finding electricalsto buy new in the UK ?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by miss piggy
Just going through the 'do we take electricals' process now & not sure what to do. TV wise we haven't got fancy plasma - just great big heavy things (not old-but bought at seconds world a couple of years ago for about $700/800 each) & I am wondering whether it is worth paying the shipping on them just to discover they don't work at the other end.Ditto fridge. How expensive are people finding electricalsto buy new in the UK ?
Have a look online at places like Tesco.com and John Lewis. If buying a new flat screen TV, get John Lewis to price match (only applies to brick stores, not on-line only stores). Big advantage with John lewis is they do a free 5 year guarantee My Brother in law put me onto this as he works in the Tv repair industry and they get lots of units after about 12-18 months. Seems to be if they survive beyond this, they last very well. 1 year before we moved to Oz, I bought a Sony Bravia 40" LCD. Was listed at 2000 pounds, got it price matched to 1595, and got a free DVD PVR as John Lewis had an offer on at the time, plus the 5 year warranty so very happy. Its has travelled to Oz and now back to the UK without any problems.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
We had a trip back to Uk recently and bought a groovy new DVD/DivX player and it's since died on us only 2 months later!! Australian repairs centres wont touch it coz we have a Uk receipt so we're stuck with having to post it back, get family to sort it all out and then we'll just leave it there until our permanent return next year.
It's been a huge pain in the a**, so we've decided to sell off all our australian electronics -Bosch fridge/freezer and washing machine,dryer and 42 inch LCD TV. Just no point in taking them back if we're to have the same problems over there if they break and need repaired.

*pearly*
I would take your Bosch stuff home, Bosch are very good at customer support. TV would depend on what money you would get for it here if you sold it ???, Even if the tuner doesn't work in the UK, you can always connect it to a PVR/Freeview/sky box and use those via the HDMI or scart connections. Not sure re Fridge /freezer, you will need to check out any restrictions re gas etc.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I don't think I can be bothered taking mine, I don't have a particularly expensive or high tech setup and I am not good at figuring out how to make things work if some adjustment is required to get UK tv, I can feel a cold sweat starting at the mention of words like SCART socket.

Plus you are lucky if stuff lasts 3 years anyway, it usually dies once the guarantee runs out

I figure that I can't be without my stuff for 3 months whilst it is shipped so might as well just flog it for pennies here and get new stuff there, one less thing to worry about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.