Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking our Dog home from Aus to the U.K...I know another one!!!

Taking our Dog home from Aus to the U.K...I know another one!!!

Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:34 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking our Dog home from Aus to the U.K...I know another one!!!

Our dog and cat arrived in the UK last week. We used the one vet to do all the DEFRA stuff ie the one with AQIS accreditation. We then used a Brisbane based kennels place with a transport service that did all the paperwork and put them on the plane etc. Couldn't believe how easy it was when I picked them up at the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow. I just gave them the Air waybill number and they handed me the dog, cat, cages and finished paperwork. I really expected a hassle of some sort but it was so easy. So I recommend paying the extra to get the professionals to do it from start to finish.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
Our dog and cat arrived in the UK last week. We used the one vet to do all the DEFRA stuff ie the one with AQIS accreditation. We then used a Brisbane based kennels place with a transport service that did all the paperwork and put them on the plane etc. Couldn't believe how easy it was when I picked them up at the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow. I just gave them the Air waybill number and they handed me the dog, cat, cages and finished paperwork. I really expected a hassle of some sort but it was so easy. So I recommend paying the extra to get the professionals to do it from start to finish.
Thanks for the info. glad you cat arrived well. We will have to put our dog in Kennels either here in Perth (she is use to the local one we use) or we will look for Kennels near where we will be living/staying....our dog will not have her blood test until the 3rd Jan 08...I left it late....which was really daft of me...I do not know what I was thinking!!!!...because we will not be picking her up from the Airport...I do not have to use Quantas? is that correct?
Good luck on your move.....hope you have a real nice Chrismassy Christmas....
All the best and thank you once again.
Jackie
Old Dec 18th 2007, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brits1
Thanks for the info. glad you cat arrived well. We will have to put our dog in Kennels either here in Perth (she is use to the local one we use) or we will look for Kennels near where we will be living/staying....our dog will not have her blood test until the 3rd Jan 08...I left it late....which was really daft of me...I do not know what I was thinking!!!!...because we will not be picking her up from the Airport...I do not have to use Quantas? is that correct?
Jackie
Hi Jackie

If you are using an agent then I thought it was up to them. Our dog goes 10 April , 8 weeks after us and we are using Jetpets.
My folks are picking him up from the animal reception centre at Heathrow as it was going to cost another $1500 to fly him to Glasgow. I haven't heard of this Quantas rule but think they are the main animal carrier from Perth.

How are your going home plans?..sounds as though you are getting sorted..have you an actual date?

We are 7 weeks and 6 days!!

Keep sane

Lorids
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice

Hi
Can I ask all you brits in aussie why you are planning to go back to the UK. I lived there for 15 years (mostly in Perth) from age 15 to 30. I am now 49 and because I did not get citizenship am applying for business visa. I dont want to make a mistake by going back, and I know when I lived there used to get homesick....I know this is not the subject being discussed but I would appreciate any ones comments......cheers.......bloody cold here in the UK..but still it is near christmas....
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isleofmanmike
Hi
Can I ask all you brits in aussie why you are planning to go back to the UK. I lived there for 15 years (mostly in Perth) from age 15 to 30. I am now 49 and because I did not get citizenship am applying for business visa. I dont want to make a mistake by going back, and I know when I lived there used to get homesick....I know this is not the subject being discussed but I would appreciate any ones comments......cheers.......bloody cold here in the UK..but still it is near christmas....
I think you should just read the other threads...mostly we are an honet lot on here and for one reason or another it just is not for all of us.....as in the U.K life will not be the same as you remembered it when you lived here..in the 10 years we have been here.....a lot of things have changed....mostly we find things very expensive...homes...food....utility bills......travel very expensive......crime has become a bigger problem........but if it is something you want to try....you should....or maybe if you have lived here before and you returned home, cannot you start another business say in Canada...New Zealand....? be careful with your Visas...a lot more poeple are coming over here on whatever visa they can get (usually by agents) but once here some people have a not so great time as these visa's usually come with restrictions....ie...areas where you have to live.....no medicare.....etc..so please do find out all you can before you come over....good luck....it's a wonderful place for some...and not so for others.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

Jackie
Hi Jackie,

Just reading through the thread again and wondered if considering leaving your dog in kennels over here when you go back is such a good idea??? Given that you are so attached my personal feeling would be to take her(?) with you and put her into kennels in the UK. Being a pet owner I don't know if I could leave them in another country for what could be 3-4 months before they could travel, and I'm not sure you will be able to either......Heaven forbid something happens and your the other side of the world!! Also you will be able to visit if they are in the Uk, not so easy if she is in Perth!!
If I could I would offer to look after her for you but my cat is such a stroppy b**ger that I think she would be 'at risk' with us!! (he only just tolerates our dog and they've grown up together!!)
I know the cost might be slightly more but the piece of mind that she is there and you are on hand if needed by the kennels is surely worth it.....
Just my thoughts mind you.......
Pam x x x
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:12 am
srd
Forum Regular

srd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nice

Originally Posted by pam0512
Hi Jackie,

Just reading through the thread again and wondered if considering leaving your dog in kennels over here when you go back is such a good idea??? Given that you are so attached my personal feeling would be to take her(?) with you and put her into kennels in the UK. Being a pet owner I don't know if I could leave them in another country for what could be 3-4 months before they could travel, and I'm not sure you will be able to either......Heaven forbid something happens and your the other side of the world!! Also you will be able to visit if they are in the Uk, not so easy if she is in Perth!!
If I could I would offer to look after her for you but my cat is such a stroppy b**ger that I think she would be 'at risk' with us!! (he only just tolerates our dog and they've grown up together!!)
I know the cost might be slightly more but the piece of mind that she is there and you are on hand if needed by the kennels is surely worth it.....
Just my thoughts mind you.......
Pam x x x
hi, we are only in the thinking of returning uk stage, but due to 2 children already returning after 13 days and my daughter who is 17 being extremely unhappy it is on the cards. we have a puppy (thought it would help my daughter), anyway we love him and would want him to return with us, please can you give me some idea on how long the process takes to take a dog back to uk and do they have to go into quarantine in the uk, we are in oz, many thanks.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by srd
hi, we are only in the thinking of returning uk stage, but due to 2 children already returning after 13 days and my daughter who is 17 being extremely unhappy it is on the cards. we have a puppy (thought it would help my daughter), anyway we love him and would want him to return with us, please can you give me some idea on how long the process takes to take a dog back to uk and do they have to go into quarantine in the uk, we are in oz, many thanks.
Hi
It depends whether he has a EU pet passport. Chances are if you bought him here he will not therefore he needs to get a rabies vaccine done then a blood test 3 weeks after. This has to be from an approved vet. 6 months after the date of the blood test assuming it is OK then he can fly to UK with no quarantine. Otherwise he would be quarantined in Uk until the 6month clearance time. There has been loads of threads and some much better explanations of the procedure!! if you do a thread search. But basically 6 months.

We have organised our dog for April based on blood test in October. If you have any more queries just ask..pm if you want.

good luck
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by srd
Hi..sorry to hear about your Children, it is hard fo older children to settle here...my tow have been here for 9 years...(14 & 16 yrs) and they are unhappy here...a few years ago we bought our dog and she is just a member of the family now...we bought here not just for the boys but for us...I have found out that a dog has to do 6 months quar. and that can either be here in Aus or back home in the U.K.....you have to have your dog micro chipped and vacc for Rabies then 30 days from the injection you have a blood test....a few days after you are informed if your dog has the "allclear" then the 6 months quar. begins.....you can find out which vets offer the Rabies Jab in your area...I live south of the river in Perth and there were quite a few who offer this service....so it is up to you if you want to leave your puppy here then go to the u.k and your puppy follows etc....or you wait 6 months and all go together (if you do return home) I left it late because we want to go about March/April time but our dog will have the blood test 6 Jan....so we will have to see if she comes with us and goes into quar. in the U.k or leave her here in Kennels.......I do wish we would of done it sooner but alas...hindsight...again.....we are going when we sell our home....we will be putting it up for sale in Jan..so it might take a while to sell...we will just have to see!!!!!
Hope all works out for you....have a nice Christmas....
Best wishes
Jackie
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 12:21 am
srd
Forum Regular

srd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nicesrd is just really nice

Hi..sorry to hear about your Children, it is hard fo older children to settle here...my tow have been here for 9 years...(14 & 16 yrs) and they are unhappy here...a few years ago we bought our dog and she is just a member of the family now...we bought here not just for the boys but for us...I have found out that a dog has to do 6 months quar. and that can either be here in Aus or back home in the U.K.....you have to have your dog micro chipped and vacc for Rabies then 30 days from the injection you have a blood test....a few days after you are informed if your dog has the "allclear" then the 6 months quar. begins.....you can find out which vets offer the Rabies Jab in your area...I live south of the river in Perth and there were quite a few who offer this service....so it is up to you if you want to leave your puppy here then go to the u.k and your puppy follows etc....or you wait 6 months and all go together (if you do return home) I left it late because we want to go about March/April time but our dog will have the blood test 6 Jan....so we will have to see if she comes with us and goes into quar. in the U.k or leave her here in Kennels.......I do wish we would of done it sooner but alas...hindsight...again.....we are going when we sell our home....we will be putting it up for sale in Jan..so it might take a while to sell...we will just have to see!!!!!
Hope all works out for you....have a nice Christmas....
Best wishes
Jackie
hi, thanks for the reply. we have found a vet who can do the rabies injection, this was done and we have the blood test done on 2nd feb, so it will be a bit of a wait for us. meanwhile we are doing lots of work on the house as its very dated so we can then put it up for sale. not sure how long it will take to sell. husband and i dont want to go back, but i dont want to be the other side of the world from all 3 of my children, so its a very reluctant move. hope things are ok for you.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by srd
hi, thanks for the reply. we have found a vet who can do the rabies injection, this was done and we have the blood test done on 2nd feb, so it will be a bit of a wait for us. meanwhile we are doing lots of work on the house as its very dated so we can then put it up for sale. not sure how long it will take to sell. husband and i dont want to go back, but i dont want to be the other side of the world from all 3 of my children, so its a very reluctant move. hope things are ok for you.
sending you loads of best wishes with sorting out the house etc......it must be tough especially as you and your oh want to stay......I think in a similar situation we would do the same thing also.......good luck to you all.....x x
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

[QUOTE=lorids;5679231]Hi Jackie

If you are using an agent then I thought it was up to them. Our dog goes 10 April , 8 weeks after us and we are using Jetpets.
My folks are picking him up from the animal reception centre at Heathrow as it was going to cost another $1500 to fly him to Glasgow. I haven't heard of this Quantas rule but think they are the main animal carrier from Perth.

How are your going home plans?..sounds as though you are getting sorted..have you an actual date?

Keep sane

if your pet is flying from perth ,the only registered carrier is quantas,apparently,
i came back from perth in oct last year and was also quoted £600/$1500
to fly pet from heathrow to glasgow.
i flew down from glasgow to heathrow to collect dog and accompanied him on a flight back up to glasgow,{dog was in the hold in flight container}

much,much, cheaper and less hassle.
£99 down to london
£50 delivery from animal reception to bmi front desk {rip off/15min journey}
£99 flight to glasgow
£40 flight to glasgow for dog
i was allowed to sit in main terminal with dog until flight was called,baggage handlers then took dog down to board plane while i checked in.

easy peasy....simple and a lot less money.
bmi are apparently the only livestock shippers from heathrow.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that fitz never realised the cost would be so different. May just try that as saves a fair old drive
many thanks

lorids
Old Jan 9th 2008, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=fitz;5741202]
Originally Posted by lorids
Hi Jackie

Keep sane

if your pet is flying from perth ,the only registered carrier is quantas,apparently,
i came back from perth in oct last year and was also quoted £600/$1500
to fly pet from heathrow to glasgow.
i flew down from glasgow to heathrow to collect dog and accompanied him on a flight back up to glasgow,{dog was in the hold in flight container}

much,much, cheaper and less hassle.
£99 down to london
£50 delivery from animal reception to bmi front desk {rip off/15min journey}
£99 flight to glasgow
£40 flight to glasgow for dog
i was allowed to sit in main terminal with dog until flight was called,baggage handlers then took dog down to board plane while i checked in.

easy peasy....simple and a lot less money.
bmi are apparently the only livestock shippers from heathrow.
Thank you for that.....we will arrive at Manchester and as yet not sure what to do with our dog, we think she will come at the same time then board her in kennels near Manchester as she will not be clear for quarantine. I was told the blood test would only take about a week but now they have said 3 to 4 weeks which puts more time on her quarantine.....she had the vacc in Dec but blood test on the 6/1/08......I really do wish we had done it sooner now but alas...you live and learn. We are looking at April/May 08 as we now have my dad here and my nephew comes over for the first time to get married here in Perth....so we will stay for that and the longer we have with our pet the better....not only that...we would like to arrive in the Spring time now as it would be just lovely to settle at home when the weather is that bit better (well you can hope) we also have to sell our home here in Perth and I did not want to put it up for sale over Christmas and while we had family here....we did that last time and it was a nightmare.....I cannot book the flights until then but I can now be patient and try and enjoy our time here....which is the hardest part becasue like everyone else you always seem to think everything is lovely....as you do when you know you are leaving.....mind games...the drive me mad.........I know we are doing the right thing but it does not help when family are here and on holiday telling you what a great place it is...not that it is costing us an arm and a leg to go to places and that we normally have to work....and long hours...etc....oh but that could be another thread..thank you for your help and good luck and best wishes to you.
Jackie.......
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:08 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know how much it'd cost to fly a dog from Melb - Leeds/London? He wont be doing quarantine.
Not thinking of it just now but in a couple of years.
cheers,
*pearly*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.