Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking motorcycle back to UK from Canada

Taking motorcycle back to UK from Canada

Old Nov 17th 2013, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Pem Brooke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking motorcycle back to UK from Canada

When we move back to the UK, I would like to bring my motorcycle with me. I know that sounds nerdy, but I recently bought it and have been searching for this model for ages in Canada. It's a Honda, and is common in the UK, so it's not some weird make that isn't recognized in England.
Question; any one brought a 'bike back with them...any paperwork I need to be aware of before we pack?
I believe it's free of duty and VAT provided I have owned it for 6 month prior to import....
Old Nov 18th 2013, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking motorcycle back to UK from Canada

Originally Posted by Pem Brooke
When we move back to the UK, I would like to bring my motorcycle with me. I know that sounds nerdy, but I recently bought it and have been searching for this model for ages in Canada. It's a Honda, and is common in the UK, so it's not some weird make that isn't recognized in England.
Question; any one brought a 'bike back with them...any paperwork I need to be aware of before we pack?
I believe it's free of duty and VAT provided I have owned it for 6 month prior to import....
The only wrinkle I can think of is that some North American bikes have red turn signals. You might have to buy yellow lenses if you don't already have them.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 5:50 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought 2 bikes back with us, they were both Triumphs so it was easy as they were coming 'home'. I really is easy as long as you have owned them for the required length of time. Dont forget to put the handlebars back on the correct side.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

moggi1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris955
I bought 2 bikes back with us, they were both Triumphs so it was easy as they were coming 'home'. I really is easy as long as you have owned them for the required length of time. Dont forget to put the handlebars back on the correct side.
Chris, I have been worried about whether my Triumph Explorer was made for export (I bought it here in the US) and if it would be able to be converted for driving on the left when I get back home. Sounds like that won't be an issue.

Old Nov 18th 2013, 11:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/...hicle-approval
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Pem Brooke is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point on the yellow turn signals. The bike has a fancy undertail kit at the back, with the red flashers built in to the brake lights. I'll have to change those. It's a Honda VTR 1000, so should be OK for spec, as the bike is common in the UK.
Attached Thumbnails Taking motorcycle back to UK from Canada-img_0854.jpg   Taking motorcycle back to UK from Canada-img_0853.jpg  
Old Nov 19th 2013, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pem Brooke
Good point on the yellow turn signals. The bike has a fancy undertail kit at the back, with the red flashers built in to the brake lights. I'll have to change those. It's a Honda VTR 1000, so should be OK for spec, as the bike is common in the UK.

You may have other problems, depending.

I just had my Harley through inspection in Spain, I imported the bike from the US.

Headlights, turn signals, mirrors, speedos, reflectors.
You should check all those to make sure they are UK compliant.

I had to change all those because none of those things had an EU homologation stamp.

Make sure you de-register the vehicle before packing them up; doing the papers afterwards could be irritating.

Not sure about how the UK works, but everything can be fixed for money.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

The whole registration process is currently being changed but you will need an MOT, the Canadian Title, proof of insurance and a certificate from HM Customs.
The current licensing centers are being closed shortly.