Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking dogs to the UK who weren't passported

Taking dogs to the UK who weren't passported

Old May 4th 2010, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice
Default Taking dogs to the UK who weren't passported

Has anyone taken their dogs back to the UK that weren't passported before they left (or taken additional dogs back)? I'm looking into it and would appreciate some personal experience advice.

I will not do it if they can't fly with me (but am assured they can)

I will not do it if I hear and FIRST HAND accounts of dogs who end up going into quarantine for some red tape reason

Any hidden costs?!

I should add that I got them blood tested ages ago (3 years) and am keeping their rabies vaccs up to date (although they get the three yearly ones)

Thanks!

Last edited by Esme; May 4th 2010 at 4:32 pm. Reason: adding a bit!
Old May 4th 2010, 5:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking dogs to the UK who weren't passported

Originally Posted by Esme
Has anyone taken their dogs back to the UK that weren't passported before they left (or taken additional dogs back)? I'm looking into it and would appreciate some personal experience advice.

I will not do it if they can't fly with me (but am assured they can)

I will not do it if I hear and FIRST HAND accounts of dogs who end up going into quarantine for some red tape reason

Any hidden costs?!

I should add that I got them blood tested ages ago (3 years) and am keeping their rabies vaccs up to date (although they get the three yearly ones)

Thanks!
What are you asking? If they're not "passported" (this term doesn't apply to many countries like the US, there's a certificate, not a passport), surely they'll go into quarantine?
Old May 4th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
What are you asking? If they're not "passported" (this term doesn't apply to many countries like the US, there's a certificate, not a passport), surely they'll go into quarantine?
no they won't!!!!
Old May 4th 2010, 8:39 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...info/other.htm
Old May 4th 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good idea to post the link here but may I remind anyone thinking about posting

I'm looking into it and would appreciate some personal experience advice.

Cheers m'dears!
Old May 4th 2010, 9:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

no they won't!!!!
Why not? The DEFRA/PETS scheme requires the process in order to avoid quarantine.

I really don't understand what you are asking. I think you should explain your situation a bit more clearly if you want good advice.

If you are looking for personal experiences in bring a dog to the UK (from the US) look at my posts from Jan-July 2006.

What do you mean by taking "additional dogs back"? Additional to what?
Old May 4th 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why not? The DEFRA/PETS scheme requires the process in order to avoid quarantine.

I really don't understand what you are asking. I think you should explain your situation a bit more clearly if you want good advice.

If you are looking for personal experiences in bring a dog to the UK (from the US) look at my posts from Jan-July 2006.
thanks - I'll look at your posts and get back to you if I have any questions although I do think I explained my situation. The dogs don't have passports (as they could have had when I left the UK) and I do hope they can get back into the UK through the Pets Travel Scheme (or whatever it's called) but I'm worried that (knowing what the govt. can be like) there may be some stupid loophole that has me arriving with dogs blood tested, health certificated and lo! sorry lady, they have to go in quarantine. I'm just checking to see if anyone has had that experience.....
Old May 4th 2010, 9:18 pm
Ping-ponger

thanks - I'll look at your posts and get back to you if I have any questions although I do think I explained my situation. The dogs don't have passports (as they could have had when I left the UK) and I do hope they can get back into the UK through the Pets Travel Scheme (or whatever it's called) but I'm worried that (knowing what the govt. can be like) there may be some stupid loophole that has me arriving with dogs blood tested, health certificated and lo! sorry lady, they have to go in quarantine. I'm just checking to see if anyone has had that experience.....
Were your dogs chipped before receiving the rabies vaccination?
Was the chip number recorded on the rabies vacc certificate?
Was the chip number recorded on the Kansas lab tests (blood titer test)?

If so, you are OK so far. If not, go back to the start of the process.

In the past 8 years I don't recall anyone on here who had the kind of "red tape" problem you are talking about. I'd recommend that rather than looking for personal tales of woe you devote your energies to reading ALL the posts on MBTTUK that have the terms "DEFRA" and "PETS" in them, read the Wiki (see below), and make sure you follow the process to the letter.

Oh, and what do you mean by "additional dogs"? (I thought I asked that question before, but I guess not).

Wike page on the PETS process: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK
Old May 4th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Were your dogs chipped before receiving the rabies vaccination?
Was the chip number recorded on the rabies vacc certificate?
Was the chip number recorded on the Kansas lab tests (blood titer test)?

If so, you are OK so far. If not, go back to the start of the process.

In the past 8 years I don't recall anyone on here who had the kind of "red tape" problem you are talking about. I'd recommend that rather than looking for personal tales of woe you devote your energies to reading ALL the posts on MBTTUK that have the terms "DEFRA" and "PETS" in them, read the Wiki (see below), and make sure you follow the process to the letter.

Oh, and what do you mean by "additional dogs"? (I thought I asked that question before, but I guess not).

Wike page on the PETS process: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK
Thanks Dunrovin, but I personally prefer to work with personal experiences if there are any. That's why I asked and I started this thread. As you don't have one, I would ask that you refrain from posting on here because I'm getting a little upset with what I perceive to be your hostility. You obviously have an analytical mind and maybe can't see the value of a subjective approach rather than an objective one.
Old May 4th 2010, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Incidentally, I am still interested in reading your threads - any clue as to the title of the thread? You post a lot!
Old May 4th 2010, 9:31 pm
Ping-ponger

Thanks Dunrovin, but I personally prefer to work with personal experiences if there are any. That's why I asked and I started this thread. As you don't have one, I would ask that you refrain from posting on here because I'm getting a little upset with what I perceive to be your hostility. You obviously have an analytical mind and maybe can't see the value of a subjective approach rather than an objective one.
"As I don't have one" what???

I don't appreciate shirty ("hostile") replies (see your first response to me, without any explanation), but I've at least given you two useful leads so far. If you don't want my advice, don't take it, but please don't tell me whether I can post or not. If you don't like my response, simply ignore me. Other people may be reading this thread who may benefit from my personal insight and experience, having been through the process before. If you follow my advice to search for DEFRA and PETS, you'll find more personal experiences than you can read in one night.

- and believe me, I have a very subjective opinion when it comes to my dog.
Old May 4th 2010, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

"As I don't have one" what???

I don't appreciate shirty ("hostile") replies (see your first response to me, without any explanation), but I've at least given you two useful leads so far. If you don't want my advice, don't take it, but please don't tell me whether I can post or not. If you don't like my response, simply ignore me. Other people may be reading this thread who may benefit from my personal insight and experience, having been through the process before. If you follow my advice to search for DEFRA and PETS, you'll find more personal experiences than you can read in one night.

- and believe me, I have a very subjective opinion when it comes to my dog.
oh, and "sorry if you took any offence at my attitude"
Old May 4th 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

go ahead, post - I have thanked you for your advice and I now thank you for the Wiki link - but you don't have to be so hostile towards ME personally. I asked nicely (last time)
Old May 4th 2010, 9:38 pm
Ping-ponger

Incidentally, I am still interested in reading your threads - any clue as to the title of the thread? You post a lot!
Gosh, do I have to do everything for you?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=defra

- now then, would you like a wafer thin mint? Roll your sheets down for you? Wash the dishes?
Old May 4th 2010, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aah, you do do warm and fuzzy - thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.