British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Taking dogs to the UK who weren't passported (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/taking-dogs-uk-who-werent-passported-666836/)

Esme May 4th 2010 4:30 am

Taking dogs to the UK who weren't passported

Has anyone taken their dogs back to the UK that weren't passported before they left (or taken additional dogs back)? I'm looking into it and would appreciate some personal experience advice.

I will not do it if they can't fly with me (but am assured they can)

I will not do it if I hear and FIRST HAND accounts of dogs who end up going into quarantine for some red tape reason

Any hidden costs?!

I should add that I got them blood tested ages ago (3 years) and am keeping their rabies vaccs up to date (although they get the three yearly ones)

Thanks! :)

dunroving May 4th 2010 5:27 am

Re: Taking dogs to the UK who weren't passported

Originally Posted by Esme (Post 8542069)
Has anyone taken their dogs back to the UK that weren't passported before they left (or taken additional dogs back)? I'm looking into it and would appreciate some personal experience advice.

I will not do it if they can't fly with me (but am assured they can)

I will not do it if I hear and FIRST HAND accounts of dogs who end up going into quarantine for some red tape reason

Any hidden costs?!

I should add that I got them blood tested ages ago (3 years) and am keeping their rabies vaccs up to date (although they get the three yearly ones)

Thanks! :)

What are you asking? If they're not "passported" (this term doesn't apply to many countries like the US, there's a certificate, not a passport), surely they'll go into quarantine?

Esme May 4th 2010 8:19 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8542170)
What are you asking? If they're not "passported" (this term doesn't apply to many countries like the US, there's a certificate, not a passport), surely they'll go into quarantine?

no they won't!!!!

scottandsel May 4th 2010 8:39 am

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...info/other.htm

Esme May 4th 2010 9:01 am

Originally Posted by scottandsel (Post 8542477)

Good idea to post the link here but may I remind anyone thinking about posting

I'm looking into it and would appreciate some personal experience advice.

Cheers m'dears!

dunroving May 4th 2010 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Esme (Post 8542426)
no they won't!!!!

Why not? The DEFRA/PETS scheme requires the process in order to avoid quarantine.

I really don't understand what you are asking. I think you should explain your situation a bit more clearly if you want good advice.

If you are looking for personal experiences in bring a dog to the UK (from the US) look at my posts from Jan-July 2006.

What do you mean by taking "additional dogs back"? Additional to what?

Esme May 4th 2010 9:10 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8542531)
Why not? The DEFRA/PETS scheme requires the process in order to avoid quarantine.

I really don't understand what you are asking. I think you should explain your situation a bit more clearly if you want good advice.

If you are looking for personal experiences in bring a dog to the UK (from the US) look at my posts from Jan-July 2006.

thanks - I'll look at your posts and get back to you if I have any questions although I do think I explained my situation. The dogs don't have passports (as they could have had when I left the UK) and I do hope they can get back into the UK through the Pets Travel Scheme (or whatever it's called) but I'm worried that (knowing what the govt. can be like) there may be some stupid loophole that has me arriving with dogs blood tested, health certificated and lo! sorry lady, they have to go in quarantine. I'm just checking to see if anyone has had that experience.....

dunroving May 4th 2010 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Esme (Post 8542537)
thanks - I'll look at your posts and get back to you if I have any questions although I do think I explained my situation. The dogs don't have passports (as they could have had when I left the UK) and I do hope they can get back into the UK through the Pets Travel Scheme (or whatever it's called) but I'm worried that (knowing what the govt. can be like) there may be some stupid loophole that has me arriving with dogs blood tested, health certificated and lo! sorry lady, they have to go in quarantine. I'm just checking to see if anyone has had that experience.....

Were your dogs chipped before receiving the rabies vaccination?
Was the chip number recorded on the rabies vacc certificate?
Was the chip number recorded on the Kansas lab tests (blood titer test)?

If so, you are OK so far. If not, go back to the start of the process.

In the past 8 years I don't recall anyone on here who had the kind of "red tape" problem you are talking about. I'd recommend that rather than looking for personal tales of woe you devote your energies to reading ALL the posts on MBTTUK that have the terms "DEFRA" and "PETS" in them, read the Wiki (see below), and make sure you follow the process to the letter.

Oh, and what do you mean by "additional dogs"? (I thought I asked that question before, but I guess not).

Wike page on the PETS process: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK

Esme May 4th 2010 9:23 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8542558)
Were your dogs chipped before receiving the rabies vaccination?
Was the chip number recorded on the rabies vacc certificate?
Was the chip number recorded on the Kansas lab tests (blood titer test)?

If so, you are OK so far. If not, go back to the start of the process.

In the past 8 years I don't recall anyone on here who had the kind of "red tape" problem you are talking about. I'd recommend that rather than looking for personal tales of woe you devote your energies to reading ALL the posts on MBTTUK that have the terms "DEFRA" and "PETS" in them, read the Wiki (see below), and make sure you follow the process to the letter.

Oh, and what do you mean by "additional dogs"? (I thought I asked that question before, but I guess not).

Wike page on the PETS process: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK

Thanks Dunrovin, but I personally prefer to work with personal experiences if there are any. That's why I asked and I started this thread. As you don't have one, I would ask that you refrain from posting on here because I'm getting a little upset with what I perceive to be your hostility. You obviously have an analytical mind and maybe can't see the value of a subjective approach rather than an objective one.

Esme May 4th 2010 9:25 am

Incidentally, I am still interested in reading your threads - any clue as to the title of the thread? You post a lot! :)

dunroving May 4th 2010 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Esme (Post 8542572)
Thanks Dunrovin, but I personally prefer to work with personal experiences if there are any. That's why I asked and I started this thread. As you don't have one, I would ask that you refrain from posting on here because I'm getting a little upset with what I perceive to be your hostility. You obviously have an analytical mind and maybe can't see the value of a subjective approach rather than an objective one.

"As I don't have one" what???

I don't appreciate shirty ("hostile") replies (see your first response to me, without any explanation), but I've at least given you two useful leads so far. If you don't want my advice, don't take it, but please don't tell me whether I can post or not. If you don't like my response, simply ignore me. Other people may be reading this thread who may benefit from my personal insight and experience, having been through the process before. If you follow my advice to search for DEFRA and PETS, you'll find more personal experiences than you can read in one night.

- and believe me, I have a very subjective opinion when it comes to my dog.

Esme May 4th 2010 9:33 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8542590)
"As I don't have one" what???

I don't appreciate shirty ("hostile") replies (see your first response to me, without any explanation), but I've at least given you two useful leads so far. If you don't want my advice, don't take it, but please don't tell me whether I can post or not. If you don't like my response, simply ignore me. Other people may be reading this thread who may benefit from my personal insight and experience, having been through the process before. If you follow my advice to search for DEFRA and PETS, you'll find more personal experiences than you can read in one night.

- and believe me, I have a very subjective opinion when it comes to my dog.

oh, and "sorry if you took any offence at my attitude"

Esme May 4th 2010 9:34 am

go ahead, post - I have thanked you for your advice and I now thank you for the Wiki link - but you don't have to be so hostile towards ME personally. I asked nicely (last time)

dunroving May 4th 2010 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Esme (Post 8542575)
Incidentally, I am still interested in reading your threads - any clue as to the title of the thread? You post a lot! :)

Gosh, do I have to do everything for you? :rolleyes:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=defra

- now then, would you like a wafer thin mint? Roll your sheets down for you? Wash the dishes? ;)

Esme May 4th 2010 9:41 am

Aah, you do do warm and fuzzy - thanks! :)

scottandsel May 5th 2010 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Esme (Post 8542616)
Aah, you do do warm and fuzzy - thanks! :)

dunroamin is always warm an fuzzy :thumbsup:

Scout May 11th 2010 7:54 am

You know..........I would have given you some advice, but basically your attitude sucks OP. If you don't follow the rules, your dogs go into quarantine....it's really that simple.

Now....I suggest you put a lid on your rudeness and start searching if you want any help.

BTW, Dunroving is the nice Pet Expert..........I'm the bitchy one when people are rude when demanding advice.
:rolleyes:

Esme May 13th 2010 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Scout (Post 8558910)
You know..........I would have given you some advice, but basically your attitude sucks OP. If you don't follow the rules, your dogs go into quarantine....it's really that simple.
Now....I suggest you put a lid on your rudeness and start searching if you want any help.

:rolleyes:

I don't know what OP means - does it affect the intent of your message my not knowing?

Esme May 13th 2010 8:48 am

Incidentally, I'm trying to follow the rules - but perhaps you didn't read my posts.

Jerseygirl May 13th 2010 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Esme (Post 8563746)
I don't know what OP means - does it affect the intent of your message my not knowing?

Original poster...in other words you.

Esme May 13th 2010 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8563756)
Original poster...in other words you.

thanks! I guess it didn't!!!

Giantaxe May 13th 2010 9:14 am

I think this thread should be stickied as an object lesson in how to piss people off who are trying to be helpful.

Esme May 13th 2010 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 8563789)
I think this thread should be stickied as an object lesson in how to piss people off who are trying to be helpful.

or those being helped

Scout May 13th 2010 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Esme (Post 8563752)
Incidentally, I'm trying to follow the rules - but perhaps you didn't read my posts.

Oh I read your posts.....and your nasty little pm to me. Thanks........I must say it was the first nasty PM I have ever had on British Expats. I'll treasure it forever.:rolleyes:

I stand by my earlier comments. Your attitude when demanding advice on this thread and instructing posters to give it in a format that suits you have been incredibly rude.

The pet passport scheme, as well as the various other schemes available to countries not in the pet passport program have very precise requirements. DEFRA is stringent in adhering to the rules, but from your replies, you don't like their rules and want to make up your own as you go along...insulting people and stomping your feet with hissy fits when things aren't to your liking.

Dunroving was nice enough to give you links to similar threads where many of your questions have been asked and answered (dozens of times over btw)......but instead of thanking him and maybe asking additional questions or points to clarify you just insult him further. FYI Dunroving has done the move the doggie deal several times, is an incredibly nice person, is knowledgable about the dos and don'ts and instead of taking advantage of someone willing to help you...you manage to trash talk any response you get.

Do whatever you want.........I hope your innate desire to piss everyone off doesn't result in your poor pet going into quarantine because you couldn't be bothered to take the advice offered.

Pollyana May 13th 2010 11:17 pm

Just a general point - sending abusive private messages is not allowed under the rules of BE and members can be banned for so doing. If anyone receives what they consider to be an abusive private message, please feel free to forward it to any moderator or to Admin (Sue).

mikelincs May 14th 2010 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8542558)

I suspect the 'additional' dogs are ones bought while out there and not originally from the UK.

dunroving May 15th 2010 2:17 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 8566641)
I suspect the 'additional' dogs are ones bought while out there and not originally from the UK.

TBH at this point I could care less. ;)

Erica May 15th 2010 5:19 am

Originally Posted by scottandsel (Post 8545082)
dunroamin is always warm an fuzzy :thumbsup:

Dunroving, I think your posts are always informative, intelligent and interesting and I have appreciated your advice alot over the last couple of years. Thank you. :)We are taking our dog and cat back to the UK and we are following the DEFRA PETS passport rules to the letter as we really don't want any problems with the authorities in the UK.

Tr1boy May 15th 2010 5:31 am

:blink:

northernbird May 15th 2010 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 8567180)
:blink:

this is one of the biggest fruitloop threads I have seen in a LONG time :)

eurotramp May 16th 2010 11:13 am

And I was just getting the popcorn ready:D

Easterndawn Jun 21st 2010 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Esme (Post 8542572)

Dunrovin is correct you cannot bring animals into the UK without having all the tests and paperwork done in the proper time frame. If you do your pet will be put into 6 months quarantine. No one on this forum that I have read about would think of bringing their pet in without all the paperwork being done, so like Dunrovin I am confused as to what information you are asking for. If you are trying to get the pets in without doing all the paperwork and leg work then your dogs will be the ones to suffer. Dunrovin was the one when I first came on the forum to give me all the information that I needed for my dogs, thanks Dunrovin.

Esme Jun 22nd 2010 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Easterndawn (Post 8646993)
Dunrovin is correct you cannot bring animals into the UK without having all the tests and paperwork done in the proper time frame. If you do your pet will be put into 6 months quarantine. No one on this forum that I have read about would think of bringing their pet in without all the paperwork being done, so like Dunrovin I am confused as to what information you are asking for. If you are trying to get the pets in without doing all the paperwork and leg work then your dogs will be the ones to suffer. Dunrovin was the one when I first came on the forum to give me all the information that I needed for my dogs, thanks Dunrovin.

Nope, all I was asking for was horror stories :D - my dogs have been microchipped since before they came to Canada, they have been annually vaccinated for rabies since we got here (until we did the blood test 3 years ago at which time they switched onto 3 yearly vaccines which is where we're at now, 2 of they are due theirs). I just wanted PERSONAL experiences of people travelling back with their dogs and if any typical British red tape problems occurred. Dunrovin did point me in good directions for information (thanks!). I think tales of woe can be as helpful as positive experiences. Two people can hear the same story and interpret it differently. For example, bear in mind, if like me, your dogs have always been microchipped and always been vaccinated against rabies the last rabies vaccination certificate you have for them (because this is not done unless you ask for it) before you submit for a blood test has to have the microchip number on it (and, I think, location). I would also like to know if anybody's dog's chip has migrated and caused problems at the other end because of same (I've had a dog who had to be chipped twice because of that - the first chip stayed in place for 4 years before it migrated and we spent 15 minutes looking for it to no avail). These are the horror stories I want to hear so I'm good and prepared. I'd also really like to know exactly what happens, exactly what paperwork I need to send with the dogs/have ready at the other end (just the vet cert or the blood results from Kansas or backdated rabies shots.....?). ....

Easterndawn Jun 23rd 2010 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Esme (Post 8649774)
Nope, all I was asking for was horror stories :D - my dogs have been microchipped since before they came to Canada, they have been annually vaccinated for rabies since we got here (until we did the blood test 3 years ago at which time they switched onto 3 yearly vaccines which is where we're at now, 2 of they are due theirs). I just wanted PERSONAL experiences of people travelling back with their dogs and if any typical British red tape problems occurred. Dunrovin did point me in good directions for information (thanks!). I think tales of woe can be as helpful as positive experiences. Two people can hear the same story and interpret it differently. For example, bear in mind, if like me, your dogs have always been microchipped and always been vaccinated against rabies the last rabies vaccination certificate you have for them (because this is not done unless you ask for it) before you submit for a blood test has to have the microchip number on it (and, I think, location). I would also like to know if anybody's dog's chip has migrated and caused problems at the other end because of same (I've had a dog who had to be chipped twice because of that - the first chip stayed in place for 4 years before it migrated and we spent 15 minutes looking for it to no avail). These are the horror stories I want to hear so I'm good and prepared. I'd also really like to know exactly what happens, exactly what paperwork I need to send with the dogs/have ready at the other end (just the vet cert or the blood results from Kansas or backdated rabies shots.....?). ....

Most stories that I have heard have been all positive at least the ones from here. As far as I can rmember you must have the paperwork with the titer information, all documentation of rabies shots, the paperwork from the Department of Agruculture 's vet stating that the documentation from your vet is correct, paperwork in regards to the worm and flea treatment being done 24 to 48 hrs before departure etc. I noticed you are in Newfoundland so your paper work would be the same as mine is. My friends live in Newfoundland, and have a very large black Newfie dog named Newman, thought it was funny in regards to where you live

Esme Jun 24th 2010 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Easterndawn (Post 8652927)
Most stories that I have heard have been all positive at least the ones from here. As far as I can rmember you must have the paperwork with the titer information, all documentation of rabies shots, the paperwork from the Department of Agruculture 's vet stating that the documentation from your vet is correct, paperwork in regards to the worm and flea treatment being done 24 to 48 hrs before departure etc. I noticed you are in Newfoundland so your paper work would be the same as mine is. My friends live in Newfoundland, and have a very large black Newfie dog named Newman, thought it was funny in regards to where you live

that is funny! But there seems to be a cove for everyone round here! :)
Thanks for the info about the paperwork - that's helpful!