Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking dog back to Uk from NZ

Taking dog back to Uk from NZ

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 6:39 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking dog back to Uk from NZ

I have pm Linda Max, I know she will be up to her eyes in it with her move back home but can any of you offer advice.

Today we got a quote to take dog back in January. $5K NZ - thats pricey, but heh what choice do we have.

Anyway the bit that we dont like is the route. Auckland/Sydney/Singapore/London. Too many stop downs for our liking.

Any suggestions or has anyone else used Qantas - they are supposidly the only official carrier under PETS.

Need advice , dont wont him going that way in Jan too hot!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 8:44 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking dog back to Uk from NZ

Originally posted by scottish
I have pm Linda Max, I know she will be up to her eyes in it with her move back home but can any of you offer advice.

Today we got a quote to take dog back in January. $5K NZ - thats pricey, but heh what choice do we have.

Anyway the bit that we dont like is the route. Auckland/Sydney/Singapore/London. Too many stop downs for our liking.

Any suggestions or has anyone else used Qantas - they are supposidly the only official carrier under PETS.

Sorry Scottish I only have quote from Oz and even then when I called them today they said they would re-quote me due to price increase since feb 04..we were paying $2800 and that was one stop in Singapore then onto Heathrow..eekkk wondering how much it has gone up. Good luck hope someone can help
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

We're paying $1800 from Perth-sounds like we have a good deal. Good as our container seems to be costing a fortune so suppose it all evens out in the end.
We were told that the stopover in Singapore from Perth is only 2 hrs and in that time they are unloaded and loaded straight onto the next plane with all the aircon systems going etc. It's hard not to worry though huh?
Old Aug 4th 2004, 1:45 am

Melaniee

Can you get me the flight info.

We are really worried about the flight for the dog. He has to do Auckland - Sydney - Singapore - London. He will not be taken off plane in singapore as it is for refuelling only. Also the price yikes!!!!!!! According to DEFRA Quantas have the monoply on flights they are the only PETS carrier under Pet Passport.

Pants, how did you get on?
Old Aug 4th 2004, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Hi Scottish,

What do you want me to find out? Apparently our dog would get onto the Sydney flight that has just come in to go onto the UK. I know, it is so scary and my only consolation is that every flight that comes in has animals on it and they are ok. Also, your dog came over here ok? How did he fly?

It is so annoying about QANTAS-all about money at the end of the day!

Have you phoned around for any more quotes-try that perhaps?

Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Melaniee

We are really worried about the flight for the dog. He has to do Auckland - Sydney - Singapore - London. He will not be taken off plane in singapore as it is for refuelling only. Also the price yikes!!!!!!! According to DEFRA Quantas have the monoply on flights they are the only PETS carrier under Pet Passport.

Old Aug 4th 2004, 2:05 am

curious as to what the flight schedule is and if the dogs get to stretch their legs in Sydney and do their business.

Our came out Air NZ via LA and they were fab. Your price of $1800 what would that be in $NZ also what type of dog do you have.

Its not about the cost, he goes where we go, its more the route. Dont fancy singapore but no choice. Saying to hubby last night at that price he should be allowed in 1st class LOL
Old Aug 4th 2004, 3:39 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Melaniee

Hi Scottish

No I am too scared to ring them and see how much it has gone up..ekkk but will do over next few days. Will let you know asap

Cheers
P
Old Aug 5th 2004, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Scottish,

I have left a message with the company who is looking after our dog to see if she has any advice for you etc. I know before she said that dogs from NZ had to stay in Australia for 3 days (or something like that?). I will clarify and get back to you.

M.

Old Aug 5th 2004, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Have sent you a PM!

Originally posted by melaniee
Scottish,

I have left a message with the company who is looking after our dog to see if she has any advice for you etc. I know before she said that dogs from NZ had to stay in Australia for 3 days (or something like that?). I will clarify and get back to you.

M.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 8:54 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

curious as to what the flight schedule is and if the dogs get to stretch their legs in Sydney and do their business.
I think you know the answer to that.

I guess they end up fouling the cage pretty badly.
Old Aug 5th 2004, 10:08 pm

Originally posted by The Don
I think you know the answer to that.

I guess they end up fouling the cage pretty badly.

dont like the idea of flying with quantas but they are the only approved carrier back to uk - talk about having the market stiched up. Prefered Air NZ via LA, but either go this way or not at all. So Sydney it is.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Money making!

dont like the idea of flying with quantas but they are the only approved carrier back to uk - talk about having the market stiched up. Prefered Air NZ via LA, but either go this way or not at all. So Sydney it is.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

linda 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Taking dog back to Uk from NZ

Originally Posted by scottish

hey Scottish, sorry for the delay, dident get your pm, computer went down big time, got a new one now and am in as linda 1.
We are struggling with our dog, she is almost 7, and not in great health,probably looking to re-home her here. She has problems with her thyroid, and an eye complaint that keeps flaring up, and she goes blind in that eye. We have spent a fortune in the vets, were told it could be a tumor, then eye got better for a while, so vet is puzzled. We are thinking of trying to re-home her through the golden retriever club, so we know she would have a good home, with folks that know about her. Feel that it would be putting her through too much, with kennels for a few months, and everything else. The kids still think she is coming, going to be heartbroken, but what can you do.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:28 am
Looking for a chin-wag

Location: New Zealand, heading home to Norfolk, UK in Dec 2004
Jim the Chin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottish

This may be a little late (i only discovered this forum the other day) but for what it's worth, scottish, i understand completely your concerns; we're doing the same as you (returning to UK in Dec with dog). The going back thing is such a headache and the qantas stitch-up just compounds the nightmare and scares the bejesus out of me.
But hey, it WILL work out and we'll soon be among those very happy recently returned.
So i read through this thread and searched further but couldn't find an answer ... has anyone else gone through this with qantas?
Old Sep 25th 2004, 8:21 pm

Hi JIm

Welcome to the site.

Melannee is due back any day now as it Pants dog so hopefully we can get some positive feedback from them.

What part of NZ are you in and can I ask how long you have been here and why you are going home?

All the best

Scottish

ps btw I got a good price for taking dog back. About $1k cheaper than the others and the guy is very professional and can give us loads of references. If you need info just ask. He also said that all they need is 5 working days notice, dont know if Christmas will be busier though. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.