Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Taking a car back to the U.K please read

Taking a car back to the U.K please read

Old May 12th 2009, 4:12 am
Tea cup

pown1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking a car back to the U.K please read

For those of you like myself planning on taking your car back to the U.K you may be interested to know that the regulations have now changed (as I have just been informed) the SVA has now changed to the IVA of which means more testing to be required on the car you may find this link interesting

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/news...ovalscheme.htm

Good luck looks like we're going to need it

Pown1976
Old May 12th 2009, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a car back to the U.K please read

If you don't mind me asking why are you bothering, is it a classic or heirloom? How is it worth the agrro?
Old May 12th 2009, 4:21 am
Tea cup

pown1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its cheaper to take the cars (2 of them) back than lose quite a few grand on each. At the moment in Oz not many people are interested in buying second hand cars we've got an Audi and a VW so figure we'd rather take them than give them away.
Old May 12th 2009, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. I would have thought the shipping and duty etc would have knocked a hole in the saving, but you are right about the 2nd hand market. At least the steering is in the right place.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:50 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Fair enough. I would have thought the shipping and duty etc would have knocked a hole in the saving, but you are right about the 2nd hand market. At least the steering is in the right place.
Shipping is surprisingly low (I was quoted $US1,000), and there is no duty in certain circumstances (I think you have to own the car for 6 months, or 12 months, maybe). Biggest hassle/expense I've seen mentioned is that re-adjustments needed to bring up to UK standards (which again isn't always difficult) plus the possibility of higher insuramce premiiums.

I almost brought over my beloved truck, but probably just as well I didn't.
Old May 13th 2009, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

lalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Taking a car back to the U.K please read

I am taking back my 1959 Corvette its a Classic its a Heirloom ~ Its Lush ~ Its a Dream' ~It my Toy~ Even if it has to stay in the Garage' for a while with the price of Gas over there right now 'sure not leaving it behind.

Moral If you Love It and You Want It Take it back
Lala
Old May 15th 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lalaloubell
I am taking back my 1959 Corvette its a Classic its a Heirloom ~ Its Lush ~ Its a Dream' ~It my Toy~ Even if it has to stay in the Garage' for a while with the price of Gas over there right now 'sure not leaving it behind.

Moral If you Love It and You Want It Take it back
Lala
Lala,

My recollection is that if the car is above a certain age it doesn't go through the SVA, but the regular MOT. I believe it used to be 10 years, but I don't know what it is now.
Old May 16th 2009, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

lalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
Lala,

My recollection is that if the car is above a certain age it doesn't go through the SVA, but the regular MOT. I believe it used to be 10 years, but I don't know what it is now.
Thank's for the info thats good to know' we did not want to sell it as it's been my Hubbys pride and joy for many years
Good Luck to you Dave
Lala