Tablet Gadgets

Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tablet Gadgets

That Transformer Prime TF201 looks sweet - Office Depot has them for $400 for a 32GB device.

I can't see how much the optional keyboard is - I'd heard it was around $150... is that right?

Also, has anybody any experience of running a reasonable version of Linux on this?

I'd like to be able to write & compile C code on a netbook-like device, I don't need a windows environment, much memory, disk or anything sexy in terms of screen etc... Just be at least 10 inches, ideally 11.6...
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
That Transformer Prime TF201 looks sweet - Office Depot has them for $400 for a 32GB device.

I can't see how much the optional keyboard is - I'd heard it was around $150... is that right?
If you don't mind refurbs and get lucky, Newegg sometimes have them bundled free with the tablet, but yeah, other wise, they're about that.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Insomniac is an unknown quantity at this point

The new Kindle Fire HD looks real nice, I JUST picked up a Transformer Infinity (TF700T) last week. I absolutely love it. Once it gets jellybean(any day now apparently) it will be even better. I got it for school but now I cant put the damned thing now. Never really needed one until I got one, yanno? If you want a list of some of the best apps out there, I made one for another forums recently.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up going for the 7" galaxy tab which'll be delivered tomorrow. Its replacing my iPod that I use at work every day so I didn't want something too big.

A list of good apps would be great
Old Sep 12th 2012, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't think about Jelly Bean, hopefully I'll be able to add that before I get started
Old Sep 12th 2012, 5:11 am
Just Joined

I had all these linked on the other post, but the hypertext isn't copying over.

System Tools/Utilities:

Tasker: $6.49 One of my favorites. Well worth the money. Basically automates anything you want based on events/times. If (this happens) then do <action>, sort of thing. For instance, If your gps shows you as being within 1km of your school, it turns your wifi on. Or from 8am till 3pm, your ringer is set to off, and your phone will automatically text anyone who calls "sorry in class". Very powerful, but takes a little time to set up your rules.

Cache Cleaner NG: Keeps your phone running smooth by clearing out the cache.

Adfree: Blocks most ads from popping up.

SMS Backup And Restore: Self explanatory. Comes in handy.

Save MMS: Extracts pictures, audio, and video from your texts and saves them in a separate folder.

Droidcam: Turn your phone into a wireless webcam.

Quickboot: allows you to reboot, shutdown, or reboot into recovery mode with a simple button press.

Titanium Backup: Great backup utility for apps and ROMs

DiskUsage: Graphically shows how your diskspace is being utilized.

SetCPU: Allows you to overclock/underclock your processor depending on triggers like being plugged in or low battery. Use at own risk.

GPS Status & Toolbox: Test your gps, shows a detailed compass and lat/long for your location. Shows how many satellites youre connected to.

Terminal Emulator: Gives access to the linux command line shell.
Swype: Usually pre-installed. Keyboard which uses a draging of the finger and predictive word guessing to determing what you are trying to type. Love it or hate it. Some people swear by it though.

Swiftkey 3: $3.99 My current keyboard. Has a nicer look to it, better layout, more separation between letters, and MUCH better predictive word choices using your own texting database to tailor the responses to you. The tablet version has a segmented qwerty style that is perfect for holding the pad in the landscape mode and typing with your thumbs, putting the numbers in the center.

Llama: Alternative to tasker

Script Manager: Not sure if this is what you mean but, here is a popular scripting program.

Super Backup: SMS & Contacts: A highly reccomended backup solution.

System Tuner: Rooted tuner app that lets you set lots of the config options under the hood.

Hacker's Keyboard: Powerful keyboard with lots of different options. More of a utility keyboard than an everyday use keyboard. Good to have for when you need it.

Anti-Virus/Theft:

Prey: One of the better anti-theft apps out there. I like that it allows you to install other devices such as laptops to a single web interface.

Plan B: Another phone tracker, but it's installed remotely AFTER your phone is lost. Great for that "oh shit!' moment when you realize you have nothing on your phone to track it with.

Avast: Full security suite with a powerful anti-theft option built in that hides itself and can force itself into a factory reset. I use this and Prey together.

Productivity:

AlarmDroid: Best alarm I've found so far. Not perfect but most of the others out there suck.

Car Home Ultra: A car dock app that simplifies your screen for when you're driving. Shows GPS info as well.

Smooth Calendar: Calendar widget.

Chrome to Phone: Coupled with a chrome addon, this program lets you send data to your phone. Primarily for something like driving directions. The phone will automatically open your default driving directions app and start your gps.

Dolphin Browser: My favorite browser, though the other big ones are starting to flex their muscle(firefox, chrome, opera). Check em all out and see which one is smoothest.

Unit Converter: Converts units of measure, data, and currency. Convertpad is an Alternative

GEICO: If you have Geico, this little guy comes in handy, especially if you have an accident or need a tow.

Wapedia: Fast and easy frontend for wikipedia. Also has a nice widget for fast searching IIRC.

Parcels: Tracks packages for you.

Realcalc: Has pretty much anything you could need in a calculator.

Mangler: Open source ventrilo app.

TS3 Remote: Uses a plugin in your teamspeak client that the app connects to and shows you who is talking in channel. Since it's connected to your client and not the server, there is no delay.

Battle.net Mobile Authenticator: Allows you to add a second layer of security to your battle.net account by using a randomly generated token.

Carr Matey: Save your car's location when you park. Uses a compass to find it later.

Cam Scanner: Use your camera to "scan" documents into pdf. Great if you need a page from a textbook.

US Army Survival Guide: Survival guide based on FM 3-05.70

Plug in Launcher: Changes settings or launches programs when you plug the device in. Probably don't need if you have Tasker though.

Unicode Map: Not sure this is what you want but...here it is

Memento Database: Database manager for android. Only decent one there seems to be

Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus: Just what it says. Includes 1.4 million words. Dictionary.com is a popular alternative

Doubletwist Alarm: Very popular alarm app. Testing it now.

Networking:

Speedtest.net: Self-explanatory. Runs a speed test.

FoxFi: Allows for wifi tethering.

Wifi Analyzer: Shows the strength and channel of all wifi nets around you on a nice graph. Good for seeing which channels are the most crowded.

Network Info II: Shows very detailed information on your current networks. Great for troubleshooting.

Messaging/Mail:

Handcent SMS: Best SMS replacement program. Gives nice preview windows for your texts, and allows you to respond quickly. Nice look, though it takes a little configuring as the default looks bleh.

Trillian: Meta-protocal chat client. Uses a primary server, so any messages you may have missed due to being out of service are saved and sent to your device when you get reconnected.

Go!Chat: One of the better facebook chat apps. The official facebook apps tend to be ****in awful so...you gotta find alternatives.

Tapatalk: Streamlined access to participating forums. Nice feature is you can save all your favorite forums for quick access.

AndChat: IRC client with tablet optimized layout. AndroIRC is an alternative

TouchDown: Exchange email client with tons of settings and security options

K-9 Mail: Best meta email client out there. Supports IMAP POP3, and exchange.I'd use first party apps for yahoo, gmail, and such though.

Plume: Solid Twitter app.

Widgets:

Dazzle Configurable Switcher: Allows you to create a customized switcher bar widget for things like turning your wireless on and off. Very handy.

Beautiful Widgets: $2.79 Nice looking widgets which show the time, date, and weather for your homescreen. Lots of user created versions out there for you to search through.

Tesla LED: Simple flashlight app. Allows you to make a widget/button for quick access.

HD Widgets: Alternative to Beautiful Widgets. Creates customized homescreen widgets for time/weather etc. Apparently better for tablets.

GUI:

Holo Launcher HD: A replacement GUI for your device like LauncherPro.

GOTO Lockscreen: Allows you to unlock directly into your email, sms, or dialer. Shows a little number next to each to show missed calls, unread mail, and unread texts. I LOVE this app. Problem is it has been abandoned so use at your own risk. Some phones it works great for, others it has annoyances with

Unified Remote: Remotely control your PC easily. (not a remote desktop app)

Nova Launcher: Homescreen replacement. Don't have any experience with this.

Cyanogenmod: The most popular Android firmware replacement. Tons of features and customizability with a large userbase and frequent updates. Be sure you know how to install correctly though, and backup your rom. If not you run the risk of bricking your phone. Use at your own risk.

Cloud Storage:

Dropbox: Industry standard for mobile cloud shared storage. Everyone knows about it pretty much. Install it on your cell phones and computer.

Minus: Dropbox like cloud storage app.

Consumer/Food:

Shop Savvy: Scans barcodes and QR codes(the boxy lookin things) and will auto search for the best prices or take you to the website.

Gasbuddy: AWESOME app for finding the cheapest gas near you.

.Urban Spoon: One of my favorites. Lets you find places to eat near you. Has a great feature that works like a slot machine. You shake it and it will randomly find a place to eat near you.

Padmapper: The website version is much better, but can come in handy when out apartment hunting. Shows apartments as spots on a map.

Keyring Reward Cards: Saves all your reward cards barcode into one app.

aCar: Tracks all vehicle expenses. Tells you when you need to change oil, tires, maintenance and such.

Remote:

Utorrent Remote: Allows you to remotely manage your utorrent client.

Splashtop: Remote Desktop software. Best one I've found. One of my absolute favorite apps. Free if being used within the same network. 10 bucks a year otherwise.

Remote Droid: Turns your droid into a wireless keyboard and mouse.

AirDroid: Really cool app that lets you wirelessly manage your Android device from your browser

News:

Pulse News: A news aggregator. Uses images and titles to make it more of a visual experience. Add almost any website you want. My second favorite news portal.

News360: THE best news aggregator I've found. Tons of different stories out there, great interface. Also has a tablet version.

Google Currents: Google's version of a news aggregator. Not my favorite one but some people swear by it.

Sports:

SportsTap: Decent enough program for sports score.

Entertainment:

AlcoDroid: Add drinks as you go, shows your BAC and a graph to show when you'll be sober.

ASCIICamera: Take a photo and watch it converted to ASCII Art!

WiiMote Controller: Allows you to use a wiimote as a controller for your games.

Sky Map: Augmented Realty app that uses the camera and GPS to show you where the stars and constellations are at.

Liquor Run: Find the closest store that sells liquor and their hours.

Sixaxis Controller: Allows you to use a PS3 controller. Apparently complex, but great.

Snes9x EX: SNES Emulator

DosBox Turbo: A dos emulator. Run old DOS games.

Organization/Applications:

Appbrain: Though not as useful now since Google Play updated their marketplace. It still allows for finding the best apps and saving your currently installed apps to a list for future reference.

Office:

Quickoffice Pro: Office suite for running word, excel, ppt, and pdf. A great free alternative is Kingsoft Office

Jota Text Editor: Open source text editor.

Notes/Reminders:

Astrid: A todo list maker.

Evernote: A cloud note program. Basically if you need to remember something, say a friend mentions a movie you should watch later. Lets you take notes using text, picture, or records audio. Any note you take can be access via the web and vice versa. Type out a grocery list for instance on your computer and add it to your evernote site.

GTasks: Task/ToDo list program that syncs with google.

E-Readers/PDF:

Kindle: Good ereader app. Still trying to find the best app for each type, but right now kindle has the nicest gui.

ACV (A Comic Viewer): Comic and Manga viewer

ezPDF Viewer: Probably the most popular third-party PDF viewer out there.

Communication:

Google Voice: Make calls using your google voice number. Good if you want to be able to screen calls by keeping your real cellphone number private. Hand out your google voice number and block people via the web interface.

Music/Audio:

Pandora: Most of you know of pandora, those who dont, it's great for listening to free music.

TuneIn Radio: Lets you listen to virtually any radio station in most countries.

Shazam: Find song names by listening to a small portion.

Last.fm: Keep track of your favorite bands and upcoming events.

Spotify: Free streaming of radio stations, save songs with a tap.

Poweramp Music Player: Top music player out there.

Video/Movies:

Youtube: Better frontend for youtube.

IMDB: Find info on movies/actors quickly for when you're having a bar argument.

Movies by Flixster: Nice app for finding when and where movies are playing, while showing trailers and reviews using rotten tomatoes for any movie you want.

MX Player: One of the best video players out there. Plays pretty much anything.

Netflix: If you don't know what this is, kill yourself.

School:

Grades: Student Organizer: If you're in Highschool or College GET THIS. Put in all your teachers, classroom info, grading scheme, grade weights, and when things are due. Helps you keep track of everything.

Weather:

Weatherbug: Solid weather App. Look to The Weather Channel's app for an alternative.

File Managing and Serving:

Samba Filesharing: Access your phone on your network via filesharing as a folder.

Astro: One of the best file browsers out there.

File Explorer: An alternative file browser. Also comes in a tablet version.

ttorrent: Bit torrent client. Can't imagine wanting to torrent on your phone though

QuickSSHd: SSH server for your phone.

ConnectBot: Opensource SSH client with simulataneous connections

AndFTP: The most popular FTP client out there.

FTPServer: The most popular FTP Server out there. Also recommended is Swiftp

Travel/Transportation:

Cab4me: Find cabs, check ratings, locations, ratings, and call from directly in the app.

HopStop: Gives detailed public transit, walking, biking, and taxi info

Uber: Lets you arrange for a townecar to pick you up. Cheaper than cabs many times. Only available in some cities.

Flight Track: Tracks flights in real time for you.

Games:

Zombie, Run!: Not really putting games on here, but this one is an augmented reality gps style game that puts zombies on the map of the city you are in, and you have to avoid them. Neat concept.

Last edited by Insomniac; Sep 12th 2012 at 5:13 am.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future

Top post Insomniac! Most useful.

We're thinking of getting a tablet type gadget, and were wondering if there are any apps for photo editing. The Mrs uses Photoshop on my PC, but if we could get something to edit photos on a tablet, that would be ideal. Do you know of anything Photoshop-esque for tablets?

CWT
Old Sep 12th 2012, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

There is a photoshop version on the android market, but I hear it's only so-so. I'll check later when I get out of classes on what the best one out there is.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
I ended up going for the 7" galaxy tab which'll be delivered tomorrow. Its replacing my iPod that I use at work every day so I didn't want something too big.

My hubby has the Galaxy tab 2 and loves it (7 inch) we got his from Costco, he also got a free cover with it.

I have the new IPad and love that too.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Google Voice is a must if you already use a GV phone number
Google Drive
Pool Master Pro
Netflix
Rock Player (plays all manner of video files, even DivX downloads)
ES File Explorer
Weather Channel
Mantano Reader (widely regarded as the best eReader out there)
IMDB
Firefox
Angry Birds / Space / Rio
TuneIn radio
eBay
Newegg
Old Sep 15th 2012, 7:35 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I am using a Google Nexus 7. I decided $200 was a what the hell price point for me. One proplem so far is that Flash is incompatible with Jellybean and will not be supported. Otherwise it is fun.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 2:04 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I am using a Google Nexus 7. I decided $200 was a what the hell price point for me. One proplem so far is that Flash is incompatible with Jellybean and will not be supported. Otherwise it is fun.
You can apparently install Flash if you have the APK file and it will work. I guess they think people will move to html5 quicker than I do.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 2:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
You can apparently install Flash if you have the APK file and it will work. I guess they think people will move to html5 quicker than I do.
Flash with Dolphin works fine on JB. Though I wish Flash would, indeed, just die.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 3:36 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

The only Android tablet worth considering at this point is the Nexus 7, IMO. The Nexus 7 is terrific.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The only Android tablet worth considering at this point is the Nexus 7, IMO. The Nexus 7 is terrific.
I'll take a Tf700 over the Nexus any day of the week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ti4W...layer_embedded

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.