T-mobile

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default T-mobile

In the UK this provider piggybacked on another network though I forget which.
Is it the same here or is it freestanding?

Have googled and can't find a conclusive answer.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: T-mobile

Why do you care?

The problem with T-mobile in the US is that their coverage isn't particularly good.

Depending on where you are they simply may not be a viable option.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

The question is if they piggyback on Verizon or ATT then they might be a winner.
If they use Sprint then I'll steer clear.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Why would it be a winner? You'll get charged out the wazoo if you use a UK phone here regardless of the network it uses. I believe my old T-Mobile phone picked up Orange in the UK and had an option to roam on the Cingular network here. Since cingular is now AT&T I would assume they use that network now for roaming.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:44 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

AT&T merged with Bellsnouth I believe

T.Mobile I can't see them merging with anyone I might eat my words but the I think they are free standing.

Going back to the coverage of T.Mobile I have a Blackberry thats TM and if I go to certain areas in CA forget it no bars and cuts out alot, if I turn my private AT&T phone on, I can get coverage anywhere anytime.

Sprint is a nightmare and not far of useless I don't know many folk with this service.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:14 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

We're on T Mobile too. I wouldn't say my coverage is any worse than it was when I was on Verizon. Each had their 'dead zones' but generally not in the same place!

I'm getting narked, though, that now we're outside our 2 year contract time and are month to month - have noticed my bill increasing each of the last 3 months by .20 here and there. When I inquired, I was told it was 'fees' that the state tack on. I find it hard to believe that a state fee would increase each month, esp. as no one else with cell phone service here has complained about such a thing. Think we may switch carriers at some point if this continues.

Hubby leaves Sunday for the UK (2 week visit). I believe he'll be able to get on the Orange network there, but he'll more likely just get a pay as you go phone for the two weeks he's there (and Skype me when we want to talk).
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
The question is if they piggyback on Verizon or ATT then they might be a winner.
If they use Sprint then I'll steer clear.
They "might be a winner" for what?

If you want to use a GSM phone in the US there are only two choices: AT&T and T-Mobile. The other carriers like Verizon and Sprint are CDMA only.

So, the only network that T-Mobile could "piggyback" on in the US would be AT&T and in this case, to the best of my knowledge, they don't.

Hence, T-Mobile has significantly poorer coverage than AT&T. Whether or not this matters too you depends on where you will be using the phone.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK this provider piggybacked on another network though I forget which.
Is it the same here or is it freestanding?

Have googled and can't find a conclusive answer.
So what exactly are you trying to do? Use a UK phone in the USA? Temporarily or on a permanent basis?

A brief, incomplete summary of US services:

T-Mob = cheap minutes, poor coverage.
AT&T = iPhone
Sprint = notoriously poor customer service
Verizon = best coverage, but most expensive.

For a permanent move, get a US phone.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:54 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I've got T-Mobile and hate it but I suspect it has something to do with my phone too. I never have a signal with my SideKick yet my wife usually does with her Samsung phone so it may not always be a coverage issue. I'm tempted to bite the bullet and get a Samsung Memoir and hope I get a better signal with it. Having said that I use my phone about as often as Stephen Hawking uses a treadmill so it's not too big a deal for me, probably why I'm more interested in the 8MP camera.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blimey - calm down guys!
I forgot I wrote this thread until I checked today.

In the UK I had Orange while living in London which was fine but when we moved to Cornwall it had many dead spots (not least where I was living at the time) I forget if T-mobile UK was attached to o2 or Vodaphone but they had decent coverage so they all three are potential suitors for my business.

Here in Southern Marin Sprint was satisfactory. Now that we're in the backwoods of Northern Marin(!) it is very much less so whereas ATT and Verizon are very good.

Hence the question. It is about coverage at the moment not costs since if the coverage is no good the rest is academic as what good is a cheap phone that doesn't work?

I don't know why I felt the need to provide such a detailed explanation for what I considered a fairly simple question but there you go.

Thank you all for your responses.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 3:17 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

UK coverage has nothing to do with US coverage. But my coverage increased about tenfold when I switched from T-Mobile to AT&T. I'm not sure who AT&T roams on (the phone never says when it's roaming), but my T-Mobile phone never roamed on AT&T. It did roam on some other random networks I've never heard of before or since.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hence the question. It is about coverage at the moment not costs since if the coverage is no good the rest is academic as what good is a cheap phone that doesn't work?

I don't know why I felt the need to provide such a detailed explanation for what I considered a fairly simple question but there you go.
Perhaps it is because you didn't ask the "fairly simple question" until now.

If you had asked about the coverage provided by different carriers in a particular area you might have got a more useful set of responses.

But, in any case, you seem to know the answer already ...

ATT and Verizon are very good
Old Sep 5th 2009, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
AT&T merged with Bellsnouth I believe

T.Mobile I can't see them merging with anyone I might eat my words but the I think they are free standing.

Going back to the coverage of T.Mobile I have a Blackberry thats TM and if I go to certain areas in CA forget it no bars and cuts out alot, if I turn my private AT&T phone on, I can get coverage anywhere anytime.

Sprint is a nightmare and not far of useless I don't know many folk with this service.
My Hubby has a Blackberry with TM too through his work and has the same problems. It's always cutting out and getting no signals.

We had AT&T before that was much, much better.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 5:59 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey - calm down guys!
I forgot I wrote this thread until I checked today.

In the UK I had Orange while living in London which was fine but when we moved to Cornwall it had many dead spots (not least where I was living at the time) I forget if T-mobile UK was attached to o2 or Vodaphone but they had decent coverage so they all three are potential suitors for my business.

Here in Southern Marin Sprint was satisfactory. Now that we're in the backwoods of Northern Marin(!) it is very much less so whereas ATT and Verizon are very good.

Thank you all for your responses.
I know what your trying to say..it does depend on who is the strongest/biggest following network in your area..(where I was it was cingular), the phone should piggbyback on theirs.

if you want a detailed map of each networks coverage go to their web-sites and you have an option of entering in your zip code and seeing just how wide the coverage each one provides, then you can just compare.

Hope this helps
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by md95065
They "might be a winner" for what?

If you want to use a GSM phone in the US there are only two choices: AT&T and T-Mobile. The other carriers like Verizon and Sprint are CDMA only.
Most Verizon smart phones are actually also quadband GSM phones (Blackberry and HTC, in general, and a couple others).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.