Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Swapping Aus "Green P" Licence for UK Licence

Swapping Aus "Green P" Licence for UK Licence

Old Oct 17th 2023, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Swapping Aus "Green P" Licence for UK Licence

Hi all, I apologise if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a relevant thread. My daughter (AU/NZ/UK citizen) is considering travelling to the UK and Europe in the relatively near future. We will be organising her UK passport before she goes. This question relates to her driving licence options. She is currently on her Green "P" restricted licence - can she swap this for a UK licence and, if so, what licence will she get?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old Oct 18th 2023, 1:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swapping Aus "Green P" Licence for UK Licence

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
Hi all, I apologise if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a relevant thread. My daughter (AU/NZ/UK citizen) is considering travelling to the UK and Europe in the relatively near future. We will be organising her UK passport before she goes. This question relates to her driving licence options. She is currently on her Green "P" restricted licence - can she swap this for a UK licence and, if so, what licence will she get?

Thanks in advance for any help
Although I couldn't find anything specific to your daughter's situation, I don't think it will be possible for her to legally drive in the UK for a couple of reasons.

Only people who are resident (living) in the UK can apply to swap their driving licence, and it sounds as though your daughter will be visiting.

Using this 'Driving in the UK on a non-GB Licence' tool on the UK government website, enter 'visitor' on the first page and 'any other country' on the second, the advice is that these people can drive 'any type of small vehicle listed on your full and valid licence'. As your daughter only has a provisional licence it appears that she wouldn't be able to meet this condition.
https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence/y

Is it possible for her to take the test and gain her 'proper' licence before she leaves on her travels? That would seem to be the best solution, as having a 'full and valid' Australian licence would allow her to drive in the UK for up to 12 months. If hiring a car in the UK she'd have to check if there are any insurance conditions re. how long she's held her licence.
Old Oct 18th 2023, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the reply SoS. I suspected that might be the situation. She can't get her full licence until she has had her Green Ps for 2 years (moved from Red Ps to Green Ps in July). I knew the renting a car would likely not be an option in any event as she is only 20.
Old Oct 18th 2023, 1:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the reply SoS. I suspected that might be the situation. She can't get her full licence until she has had her Green Ps for 2 years (moved from Red Ps to Green Ps in July). I knew the renting a car would likely not be an option in any event as she is only 20.
Ah, that's right, getting a licence has changed since 'my day'. Then it was just take your lessons and take your test

On the plus side, you'll probably worry less about your daughter if she's not driving as a relatively inexperienced driver on those UK motorways! I hope she has a wonderful time on her travels.
Old Oct 18th 2023, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Ah, that's right, getting a licence has changed since 'my day'. Then it was just take your lessons and take your test
Yeah, I got my first licence in New Zealand, and in those days you could walk in on your 15th birthday and walk out with a full licence an hour or so later. Frankly now that I have kids that prospect is terrifying!!!
Old Oct 18th 2023, 2:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I got my first licence in New Zealand, and in those days you could walk in on your 15th birthday and walk out with a full licence an hour or so later. Frankly now that I have kids that prospect is terrifying!!!
I know a guy who got his licence by walking into the local pub in rural Qld, told the local cop he wanted to get a driving licence, the guy walked (carefully!) round to the police station, checked he had the right name and address and handed over a licence. Then returned to the pub, where my friend bought him a beer.
And people wonder why there are so many bad drivers around.......
Old Oct 18th 2023, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know a guy who got his licence by walking into the local pub in rural Qld, told the local cop he wanted to get a driving licence, the guy walked (carefully!) round to the police station, checked he had the right name and address and handed over a licence. Then returned to the pub, where my friend bought him a beer.
And people wonder why there are so many bad drivers around.......
Wow!
Old Oct 18th 2023, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I think her age alone will make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to rent a car in the UK. A quick search online and for most European countries including the UK the minimum age for most rental car companies is 21.
Old Oct 19th 2023, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

@durhamlad - agreed. I think that renting a car would be out of the question. I think her best bet is going to be just to use trains to get around