Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Successfully shipping pets yourself USA to Manchester

Successfully shipping pets yourself USA to Manchester

Old Dec 4th 2012, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

ajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really niceajdjad is just really nice
Red face Successfully shipping pets yourself USA to Manchester

Today we received our pets after a few months. We shipped them ourselves leaving them with relatives in Tx until we rented a house.

We booked via United and used PBS to clear them. We used Manchester airport at the last minute as it was cheaper clearing fees.

I was so scared that the paper work maybe wrong. Since the certificate that was sent to USDA was written in two different pens I was so scared having read lots of posts that that would be a no no. USDA signed of on it but I didn't know if Defra would have a problem. Also some dates were written in USA format. Another scary point. I delayed their flight a day since the deworming paper only printed 13 digits of the 15 digit chip so I got that fixed. I also called the vet to write a letter to say that the dog and cat had had there chip inserted before their rabies. I faxed that to PBS. I don't know if I needed that. All I know is when I arrived at Manchester the receivers were so so nice. I don't think I would ever have had that service at London. Manchester were great. No problem with paperwork. They had the pets out playing with them. They explained to me they do everything possible to make sure that the pets make it though for the owner

I can't state how stressed we thought the process would be. I faxed/ emailed all the paper work through to Les at PBS who checked it before we put them on the flight. He doesn't guarantee that DEFRa will pass but he was a great help to us.

If you are shipping pets please try Manchester and United . I believe they have time to care v the huge reception at heathrow.

Manchester also stated that they have ALWAYS received unaccompanied pets. They were not getting pets for the longest time and then realised that DEFRA was not listing them as an incoming airport.

Good luck to anyone
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of
Default Re: Successfully shipping pets yourself USA to Manchester

WoW! The part that impressed met most? "they had the pets out playing with them". I think this post should put any pet owners mind at ease who will be shipping to Manchester. YAY for Manchester
Old Dec 9th 2012, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough

What a great story and gives those of us wanting to ship pets lots of hope!
Old Dec 9th 2012, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajdjad
Today we received our pets after a few months. We shipped them ourselves leaving them with relatives in Tx until we rented a house.

We booked via United and used PBS to clear them. We used Manchester airport at the last minute as it was cheaper clearing fees.

I was so scared that the paper work maybe wrong. Since the certificate that was sent to USDA was written in two different pens I was so scared having read lots of posts that that would be a no no. USDA signed of on it but I didn't know if Defra would have a problem. Also some dates were written in USA format. Another scary point. I delayed their flight a day since the deworming paper only printed 13 digits of the 15 digit chip so I got that fixed. I also called the vet to write a letter to say that the dog and cat had had there chip inserted before their rabies. I faxed that to PBS. I don't know if I needed that. All I know is when I arrived at Manchester the receivers were so so nice. I don't think I would ever have had that service at London. Manchester were great. No problem with paperwork. They had the pets out playing with them. They explained to me they do everything possible to make sure that the pets make it though for the owner

I can't state how stressed we thought the process would be. I faxed/ emailed all the paper work through to Les at PBS who checked it before we put them on the flight. He doesn't guarantee that DEFRa will pass but he was a great help to us.

If you are shipping pets please try Manchester and United . I believe they have time to care v the huge reception at heathrow.

Manchester also stated that they have ALWAYS received unaccompanied pets. They were not getting pets for the longest time and then realised that DEFRA was not listing them as an incoming airport.

Good luck to anyone
Well of course your pets had a good welcome, we are a friendly bunch from Manchester lol.....Its really nice to hear of stories like yours, I worried like mad when we were flying our pet home but all was fine with her and I wish I had not worried so much. All the best
Old Dec 10th 2012, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajdjad

Good luck to anyone
Thanks.....and I have also shipped a dog unaccompanied to a friend in Belfast from NYC when United was Continental. It is also not mentioned on the DEFRA site. Glad to hear your animals were fine, as was mine. He went on to become the #1 long coat Chihuahua in the UK that year!!