Stuck in Canada

Old Dec 1st 2009, 6:53 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuck in Canada

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Hiya - actually am feeling better this week and am looking at houses - life eh??
I certainly know how you are feeling, i remember it well. As Quoll said in another thread, you get so excited about your new life and once the dust has settled you think, err is this it? Im glad i got my citizenship though. We do intend to return in a few years to put our feet up. All the best mate.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
If you want to compare literacy rates it's a wash.
Canada, UK, and US all are rated at 99% Australia is at 98%.
Wikipedia right? I couldnt agree with you more about teaching to the test though, thankfully Canada is largely free of the standardised testing that seems to drive UK education along, so teachers seem to me to be more free to explore topics with their classes. I suppose thats good if you have a good teacher, not so good if the teacher sucks and there is insufficient testing to identify "areas for improvement".

How about an actual literacy league table study. Granted, things are very close, but these are the actual results:

The Literacy League:

1 Russian Federation 565*

2 Hong Kong 564

3 Canada, Alberta** 560

4 Singapore 558

5 Canada, British Columbia 558

6 Luxembourg 557

7 Canada, Ontario 555

8 Italy 551

9 Hungary 551

10 Sweden 549

11 Germany 548

12 Netherlands 547

13 Belgium (Flemish) 547

14 Bulgaria 547

15 Denmark 546

16 Canada, Nova Scotia 542

17 Latvia 541

18 United States 540

19 England 539

20 Austria 538

21 Lithuania 537

22 Chinese Taipei 535

23 Canada, Quebec 533

24 New Zealand 532

25 Slovak Republic 531

26 Scotland 527

27 France 522

28 Slovenia 522

29 Poland 519

30 Spain 513

31 Israel 512

32 Iceland 511

33 Moldova 500

34 Belgium (French) 500

35 Norway 498

36 Romania 489

37 Georgia 471

38 Macedonia 442

39 Trinidad and Tobago 436

40 Iran 421

41 Indonesia 405

42 Qatar 353

43 Kuwait 330

44 Morocco 323

45 South Africa 302

See also the BBC article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/7115692.stm

BBC table summary
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/7126388.stm
Canada and Australia both above average for math and reading, UK Average for both.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 1st 2009 at 1:12 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at the results from the Guardian.
Still so close, not really worth the fuss.
Our school used to have more freedom (here in US) But lately I'm not looking forward to my youngest starting next Autumn, she'll be our last at school. I wish I could move before she goes, and start her in UK (Where she'd still be a year behind) As she's 5 in January
Old Dec 1st 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Hiya - actually am feeling better this week and am looking at houses - life eh??
Good to hear that you are feeling better
Yoong
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:52 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yoong
Good to hear that you are feeling better
Yoong
Thanks hun - was a horrid month - but am out of the worst now!! spent last 2 days up Seymour on my skis - couldnt do that in UK could I eh??
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

I applied to move to Canada 2 years ago.

Sounds like some of you on here have really been through the mill.

Tbh I am really excited about the move but really scared at the same time. I don't know what to expect.

Is there anything you think you could have done better to help yourselves adapt or is it mainly a case of missing family & friends etc...

I hope those of you going through the hard times get better soon, and if you do move back I hope it goes smoothly.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980

Tbh I am really excited about the move but really scared at the same time. I don't know what to expect.

Is there anything you think you could have done better to help yourselves adapt or is it mainly a case of missing family & friends etc...

I hope those of you going through the hard times get better soon, and if you do move back I hope it goes smoothly.
Never had much of a problem ourselves adapting, although we had been to Canada a lot before moving here to live. We took the approach Canada was home from the get go and Britain was the old country. When working I went back quite a few times each year, the OH and kids had the chance to do this (at no cost) and rarely ever wanted to. I think in 15 years they went back no more than two or three times.

The busier you are and the more folks you meet up with the easier it is. Don't expect it to be easy though, it can take a few years to settle in.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by act1980

Hi,
We moved for slightly different reasons than prob the norm.
A) We had the opportunity having the kids and myself citizenship,
B) my hubby had the opportunity to set up the canadian side of the business he came from and be his own boss. Which for us was a no brainer as the industry is not half as swamped as it was in the UK and we are starting to see the results!

We didn't leave cos of the place - i loved my village and the community within it (my biggest miss)
Yes, i hated the weather and dreamed of the kids having a proper outdoors summer like i used to, which they have had.
Yes i felt frustrated as the house prices in the village were always so high (some bargins now though!), having said that, the size of the house i have come to realise isn't the bee all and end all!

I think in certain situations it has been stressful circumstances (jobs etc) that can inhibit the settling in period. Ulimately though i think it all depends on who you are as a person, what you expect to get out of Canada that you can't get in the UK.

We have found the move hard. We have made lots of nice friends and have thrown ourselves into the canadian way of life etc. There is just something always missing though! This is frustrating as there is lots i like about Canada, just think its not somewhere i love and find i'm living away from the rest of the world! The initial idea of skiing/lakes etc etc was very appealing but its not a realistic everyday world . I find myself needing more around me, however what i find boring and stagment might not be what others find!
True there are lots of activities etc etc - which on paper sounds great, but in reality you need a lot of money to do all there is to offer.

I also miss being on the doorstep to beautiful countryside with proper access to getting away from everything! Being in the part we are in, the countryside is IOM not half as pretty as the UK, and we live in a very built up area - needed though for work purposes.

Hence the reason why we are still renting and not intending to buy untill we have been here another year to see how we feel. We are going back to the UK in a couple weeks so that will be interesting to see whether we just have our rose tinted specs on backwards!

My hubby was very much a Yorkshire fella and missess the banter/footie/pubs, days at the local cricket ground etc.

All depends on situation of your leaving the UK, personality types, what draws you to Canada.

I would always encourage people to give it a go as you'll never know till you have tried it, if you like it then it will be the best desion you will have made, if you don't then at least you had the guts to try and will never have the nagging feeling of "what if".
Old Dec 5th 2009, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Never had much of a problem ourselves adapting, although we had been to Canada a lot before moving here to live. We took the approach Canada was home from the get go and Britain was the old country. When working I went back quite a few times each year, the OH and kids had the chance to do this (at no cost) and rarely ever wanted to. I think in 15 years they went back no more than two or three times.

The busier you are and the more folks you meet up with the easier it is. Don't expect it to be easy though, it can take a few years to settle in.
Originally Posted by pinkkristen
Hi,
We moved for slightly different reasons than prob the norm.
A) We had the opportunity having the kids and myself citizenship,
B) my hubby had the opportunity to set up the canadian side of the business he came from and be his own boss. Which for us was a no brainer as the industry is not half as swamped as it was in the UK and we are starting to see the results!

We didn't leave cos of the place - i loved my village and the community within it (my biggest miss)
Yes, i hated the weather and dreamed of the kids having a proper outdoors summer like i used to, which they have had.
Yes i felt frustrated as the house prices in the village were always so high (some bargins now though!), having said that, the size of the house i have come to realise isn't the bee all and end all!

I think in certain situations it has been stressful circumstances (jobs etc) that can inhibit the settling in period. Ulimately though i think it all depends on who you are as a person, what you expect to get out of Canada that you can't get in the UK.

We have found the move hard. We have made lots of nice friends and have thrown ourselves into the canadian way of life etc. There is just something always missing though! This is frustrating as there is lots i like about Canada, just think its not somewhere i love and find i'm living away from the rest of the world! The initial idea of skiing/lakes etc etc was very appealing but its not a realistic everyday world . I find myself needing more around me, however what i find boring and stagment might not be what others find!
True there are lots of activities etc etc - which on paper sounds great, but in reality you need a lot of money to do all there is to offer.

I also miss being on the doorstep to beautiful countryside with proper access to getting away from everything! Being in the part we are in, the countryside is IOM not half as pretty as the UK, and we live in a very built up area - needed though for work purposes.

Hence the reason why we are still renting and not intending to buy untill we have been here another year to see how we feel. We are going back to the UK in a couple weeks so that will be interesting to see whether we just have our rose tinted specs on backwards!

My hubby was very much a Yorkshire fella and missess the banter/footie/pubs, days at the local cricket ground etc.

All depends on situation of your leaving the UK, personality types, what draws you to Canada.

I would always encourage people to give it a go as you'll never know till you have tried it, if you like it then it will be the best desion you will have made, if you don't then at least you had the guts to try and will never have the nagging feeling of "what if".
Thanks for the replies I guess everyone is different and some adapt to new situation and environments better than others.

I am hoping that as we both have family there it will make things a little easier for us at least I can't imagine moving and not knowing a single soul
Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

psb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nice

Originally Posted by shelley748
Hi Jon Frank- if you don't mind me asking when did you move back? What line of work is your wife in? Did you have any issues renting/buying a home? Also do the car insurance companies treat you like a foreigner re car insurance or if you can produce letter from previous insurance in UK proving before you left you had no claims bonus?
I lived in the states and had 6 yrs no claims bonus there and brought a letter from my insurance company stating that and my insurance company here accepted that,hope that helps
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:37 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

I'm hoping not to be stuck for too much longer. I'm trying to make this move as smooth as possible and not push too hard or my hubby will dig in his heels although he is also fed up of island living too. I get nervous palpitations when someone says 'organic' or 'rice tea' or 'yoga'. It's just too BC west coast healthy for me....so boring and predictable it hurts!

Anyway, I hope everyone gets through this holiday season with a smile. It's a tricky time of year and we're all more likely to miss home. I'd love to don a pair of heels and go out with my hubby and our lovely Brit friends. I would be sure of a good belly laugh and a memorable time....and no mention of yoga, organic chick peas.....and so on.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb1821962
I lived in the states and had 6 yrs no claims bonus there and brought a letter from my insurance company stating that and my insurance company here accepted that,hope that helps
Thanks- will bear this in mind for the future!
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Were your children in school in the UK? I'm just curious. I can only go by friends' and family's opinion of current UK schooling.

I'm not as convinced as many that class size is crucial. I was mostly taught in large classes and didn't suffer from it. Better chance to read in the back row.

Are your children in French immersion or English with core French. In many places French immersion has seriously damaged the content in the English streams, and I happen to have problems with the whole concept of French immersion. Whole other subject.

I found there was a lot of redundancy and repetition in the Canadian syllabus and less striving for excellence in academics, which I do see in some schools here. I think the lack of something like the exams here and the SATs in the States is a real problem. There should be a national exam. Everyone complains here about Offsteds etc, but Canadian schools have very little outside supervision and can get away with atrocious sloppiness. Apart from sports, there seem to be less extra curricular activities and trips.

But this is absolutely only my opinion. I'm sure schools are different area by area everywhere.

Perhaps other people here who've experiences both systems with their kids can chip in.

Bev
Not only were my children n the education system there, but I also worked in a high school that was deemed to be in a out of town catchment and therefore more priviliged than a few of the high schools in the estates throughout Ipswich.

It was a joke. Ill funded, pressured teachers, kids who mostly didn't care about their education, parents who dumped them and ran each day, in order to work 40 hours a week. Bullying, drugs, under age sex and children at risk were throughout the school, as were children who met the hardship fund criteria. My children went to the feeder primary school.

Due to inclusive education in the primary they were trying to work with kids who were autistic to a rather serious extent in the classrooms with 30 other children at a time. My son was horrified to see one child being dragged down the corridor by two members of staff, as he had as my son said "gone mental". (My son was 7)

My daughter was never picked up on as having speach therapy needs, or having anything else that was picked up on here in the education system, where she is in a class with 15 others. She now speaks much more clearly and is a more confident little girl. Although yes, I must admit she did suffer at the hands or a rather worrying kindergarten teacher here in Canada. So yes, for sure there are issues concerning the quality of the teacher.

But what my point is, and this is as someone who would return to the UK in a heart beat, is the kids here at our school which goes up to a junior high, they are lovely. Nothing like the kids I worked with, and when I say that I mean, they are nowhere near as hardened, cynical or show a need to survive. These are just children. Do I want to give my kids that opportunity to enjoy being children in an environment where you don't have the same worries as the UK, yes for sure. Will I be able to stand Canada for that to happen, I'm not so sure...............

There is a difference, of that I am convinced. I just sometimes think that as parents we are left trying to figure out do we give up living to give our children the opportunities here to grow, that they wouldn't have back there. Then I look at them and think, how can I not?

As the 4 bells said earlier - life eh.

Mrs M x
Old Dec 7th 2009, 11:55 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bevm
Rae, definitely it depends a lot on location, but in the UK as much as anywhere else. For example, I'll take a class of 30 with a really good teacher over a class of 15 with a bad one. Anyday, anywhere.

I was just trying to point out that Canada isn't inevitably a better place to raise and educate kids. Everyone has to assess it for themselves, their situation, and their children.

Bev
I have worked on Vancouver Island in mainstream education and oh my goodness what a breeze compared to the UK but what sloppiness as a result. I have made beefs on this subject before.....schooling here is a crap shoot. If you live in a great area you'll find great schools.....in the UK they will truly strive for improvements regardless of the social class. I think here the poorer kids get a terrible deal. It's sad to see great kids in a chronically under funded system. As far as I could see, teachers were out the door bang on the bell.....this is the island though and the district I worked in is particularly crap!!! My husband was educated in Alberta and is stunned at how poor it is here. We'll be running back to the UK to educate our kids....to a good area I guess!!!! I was a teacher there for many years and it has its problems there too.....but there's a desire for improvement and change, the kids matter. I think here it's all abut seniority and the teachers. Bizarre.

A blend of the two could be perfect maybe! Could people explain there aversion to French Immersion Schooling? Cheers.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 11:59 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't have that but I will say that my children did extremely well out of the Ontario education system. They went to a French school (not immersion, one run in French by the French language school board) and took the Bac (www.ibo.org) as well as the US SAT exams for which they were coached intensively. I can't imagine that they could have been educated elsewhere in such an atmosphere of privilege and academic excellence without having affluent parents willing to fund their education. The starkest contrast with their cousins in the UK is that they made it to university; they got out of high school without once being pregnant.
Canadian kids don't get pregnant!? Oh my goodness, the Comox Valley has plenty of them.....teen mummies galore....sad to see anywhere but a fact that it happens in both countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.