Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Strange times ahead - impending first visit back to the UK

Strange times ahead - impending first visit back to the UK

Old May 19th 2009, 6:38 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Strange times ahead - impending first visit back to the UK

Hello there

Small thread to say that I am off to Blighty in a fortnight for three weeks (taking in some of Europe whilst I am there).

I am going with some trepidation as I have as you may know never really settled here even though Australia has been very good to us. I am starting to get very excited but also quite sad. Two years is a long time out of people's lives and there will be great things that I have missed.

This may be my first step of going home.
Old May 19th 2009, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Strange times ahead - impending first visit back to the UK

Originally Posted by busterboy
Hello there

Small thread to say that I am off to Blighty in a fortnight for three weeks (taking in some of Europe whilst I am there).

I am going with some trepidation as I have as you may know never really settled here even though Australia has been very good to us. I am starting to get very excited but also quite sad. Two years is a long time out of people's lives and there will be great things that I have missed.

Hope you have a great time.

As long as you go with an open mind and weigh up the pro's and cons as to how they affect "your" personal situation and feelings I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Good luck!
Old May 19th 2009, 7:29 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there

Good luck. We're close behind you, another 4 weeks and we'll be heading home too. I'm not worried. I'll be seeing my daughter for the first time in 31/2 years. Saying goodbye to my son here in Oz for a while but he's heading home too next year.
You'll be fine.
Old May 19th 2009, 7:32 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there

Good luck, BB!

Being an expat can lead to a real mix of emotions, especially at times when you are planning to move back (or back again, or again ...). Hope you have some fun times, and remember to enjoy the moment even if you're feeling a bit mixed up.

Here's hoping for some good weather for you!
Old May 19th 2009, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you have a brilliant time with wonderful weather like we did in April! I cant remember far enough back to what I felt on our first visit home but it was easier to get on the plane back then than it is now. Enjoy every moment and get out there and see all the good stuff!
Old May 19th 2009, 2:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Have a good time.
We'll be there in three weeks, for 6 weeks. Not sure how bad I'll be feeling about coming back to US afterward. Poor Dh will get put through the wringer with me being homesick and moody.
Old May 19th 2009, 7:22 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

I've just come back from a week in the UK having not been there for two years so I understand the OP's trepidation! Pandora's Box is awaiting!!!! I loved my time there and really soaked up everything that I had been so dreadfully missing. If this is potentially the start of your way home (as it was for me) be prepared to have a rough landing back in OZ as the thoughts of making the decision kick in. Personally I have chosen to climb into a large dark hole to hide from the prospect of having to weigh it all up properly! Have a FAB trip
Old May 20th 2009, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there

I know how you are feeling, we had our first visit home after 7 years here in Aus....what I did not expect was the feeling of fitting in straight away, after 7 years away we thought we would feel strange .....Aus was like a dream....the heading back to Aus hard but well worth going through just for the fantastic time we had (it was Xmas & New Year) with friends and family and visiting places we had missed etc.....enjoy your time and hope the weather behaves....
Old May 20th 2009, 9:27 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hello there

Have a fab trip BB...enjoy
Old May 20th 2009, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Have a fab trip BB...enjoy
Hi R, I have lost your e-mail add....email me if you can...(sorry to take over the thread)

Jackie
Old May 20th 2009, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi R, I have lost your e-mail add....email me if you can...(sorry to take over the thread)

Jackie
I received your email Jackie. I will reply now
Old May 20th 2009, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be fine. I visited the UK for the first time in 20 years last May, and wasn't sure what to expect. Didn't notice any real changes at all, or not that mattered to me anyway, and felt quite at home.
Old May 21st 2009, 2:22 am
Just Joined

tinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant future

Hello there

Wish it was me,
have a great time

tinamichelle
Old May 21st 2009, 2:25 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there

Im also going back to the uk on 12th June for two weeks from New Zealand, having been here nearly two years, as my daughter 16 , has never really settled, im just hoping it wont make it worse for her.

but anyway Im looking forward to seeing family and friends and having a social time

anyway good luck to you
Old May 21st 2009, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Im also going back to the uk on 12th June for two weeks from New Zealand, having been here nearly two years, as my daughter 16 , has never really settled, im just hoping it wont make it worse for her.

but anyway Im looking forward to seeing family and friends and having a social time

anyway good luck to you
Hope you enjoy it love30stm, I will be doing the same for a month a few weeks later and even though most of my relatives have visited us here in NZ over the last 6 months, after an absence of two years, I am really looking forward to going back to somewhere, where other places are a couple of minutes drive away instead of several hours . Must overdose on the castles etc etc ...certainly don't get those here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.