Stay in US or return to UK

Wikiposts

Stay in US or return to UK

Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:52 am
Just Joined

LostinJax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stay in US or return to UK

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Hello LostinJax. Sorry to hear about your situation. Divorce is bad enough let alone from a lawyer Sounds like you are feeling down but with those degrees you mention I think you should be fine - especially if teaching is your thing. Remember this is the land where you have to find a way around something and there usually is - I wouldn't be put off by one community college telling me I couldn't teach.....I think the thinking here is just as prone as anywhere else to be parochial! I am sure if you investigated further those degrees could work for you

Also contacting 80 law firms might seem a lot but its really just a drop in the ocean. I think I would rework my resume and try again.

However, as others have said I think being poor and in need is infinitely better in the UK. The USA is no place to grow old or be in need (unless its truly temporary). I say get thee back to the UK.

You have the added satisfaction that if you have nothing to take (assets, eg, house etc) the future ex is going to be particularly confounded with you being back in the UK.

Oh and if your feeling down try Anthony: http://www.demellospirituality.com
Thanks for the link and the words of encouragment. Five years of living in Jacksonville has taken its toll. I needed a boost to face what lies ahead. Thanks.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by windsong
I think you underestimate your chances of finding work in the UK - seriously. There is a journalist on this forum who recently went back and had no trouble finding work. I forget his name but when I find it, I will post it here.

I also hope to return to teaching in the UK because I can run my business outside of normal working hours. You might find this thread helpful. You should be able to teach immediately in a further education college - and private schools, I believe.

Believe me, I felt the same way you do.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790397

What part of the UK are you thinking of? (Hate ending a sentence like that )
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I am not sure where I am headed to in the UK. I have a friend in London but I think it would be too expensive for me to live there. I have another friend in Bristol. Perhaps somewhere between those two cities. Oxford could fit the bill. But I am from the North and don't know whether I would be suited to life in the South.

I am still researching possible locations along with a myriad of other things.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

LostinJax, here is the thread where the journalist I mentioned posted. His ID is Tel8.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791948
Old Apr 14th 2013, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

LostinJax, here is the thread where the journalist I mentioned posted. His ID is Tel8.

He's a she!
Old Apr 14th 2013, 1:26 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LostinJax
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I am not sure where I am headed to in the UK. I have a friend in London but I think it would be too expensive for me to live there. I have another friend in Bristol. Perhaps somewhere between those two cities. Oxford could fit the bill. But I am from the North and don't know whether I would be suited to life in the South.

I am still researching possible locations along with a myriad of other things.
Hi LostinJax, I just read this thread and wanted to add my "Welcome to BE!" And also, my best wishes in your present tough situation and decision time. I'm 62, and just retired, and I agree with you, at our age it is pretty important to make the right move and the right decision.

One practicality; I assume that you have several years of NI contributions in the UK, but less than thirty years. (Just a guess based on your age combined with being in the US for a number of years.). Maybe you have twenty five years of credits for instance. So now would be a good time to go back to the UK, work up till retirement age and then you might have a full thirty years in the bag for the full State Pension. I take your point about aiming for professional work that fits your qualifications, but any work in the UK would get you those NI contributions..

Do they still have cramming, college prep etc., in England? What about ESL? I believe that is a huge field in the UK. Just another thought.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 1:49 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Hi LostinJax, I just read this thread and wanted to add my "Welcome to BE!" And also, my best wishes in your present tough situation and decision time. I'm 62, and just retired, and I agree with you, at our age it is pretty important to make the right move and the right decision.

One practicality; I assume that you have several years of NI contributions in the UK, but less than thirty years. (Just a guess based on your age combined with being in the US for a number of years.). Maybe you have twenty five years of credits for instance. So now would be a good time to go back to the UK, work up till retirement age and then you might have a full thirty years in the bag for the full State Pension. I take your point about aiming for professional work that fits your qualifications, but any work in the UK would get you those NI contributions..

Do they still have cramming, college prep etc., in England? What about ESL? I believe that is a huge field in the UK. Just another thought.
I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the new pension arrangements will come in before he retires so he would do even better to pay Class II NICs now (back-pay up to 6 years - that's less than £1,000), as well as earning more NICs when he comes back. I think he will need 35 years to get the full state pension (which of course will also be higher).

[Later edit: Also, although hopefully he will get work, he should apply for JSA when he returns, in order to get NI credits if he is out of work.]
Old Apr 14th 2013, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larrabee
He's a she!
Oops!! I looked at "jax" at the end of the ID and wrongly assumed the name was Jack.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

My half-sister, whom I am not close to at all, mentioned this to me as well but I don't have a clue how to get started in it.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I do have NI contributions but I am several years short of the 30-year mark. Hopefully, I can make up the number in the years ahead, although I have the feeling that I will be adopting the American work-till-you-drop mentality if I want to keep a modest standard of living.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the link. I share the original posters complaints about finding a good source for jobs in journalism.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:08 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Oops!! I looked at "jax" at the end of the ID and wrongly assumed the name was Jack.
I think that Jax is for Jacksonville. It's Tel8 who is a female.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the welcome. Yes I do have NI contributions but I am several years short of the 30-year mark. Hopefully, I can make up the number in the years ahead, although I have the feeling that I will be adopting the American work-till-you-drop mentality if I want to keep a modest standard of living.
I presently have few NI contributions, too, and have to catch up a bit - quite a bit, in fact, but you can only go back six years I believe. You can, of course, pay for the future years until you retire.

I don't mind continuing to work, especially if I have a business of my own. It is very new but I am willing to give it a try and see what happens. I feel stress every day just trying to get through my days in the USA. Just don't like the place. At least in the UK, I can enjoy the nature and countryside around me, the small villages, etc. At least there I will have somewhat of a life whereas I have absolutely none here.

Last edited by windsong; Apr 14th 2013 at 10:53 am.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:58 am
Just Joined

I don't mind continuing to work, especially if I have a business of my own. It is very new but I am willing to give it a try and see what happens. I feel stress every day just trying to get through my days in the USA. Just don't like the place. At least in the UK, I can enjoy the nature and countryside around me, the small villages, etc. At least there I will have somewhat a life whereas I have absolutely none here.
I feel the same. I am looking forward to seeing the British countryside again and getting in touch will friends I have kept in contact with.

I spoke to someone last night and they said I should give America one last shot. I think I have run out of bullets.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 11:57 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I feel the same. I am looking forward to seeing the British countryside again and getting in touch will friends I have kept in contact with.

I spoke to someone last night and they said I should give America one last shot. I think I have run out of bullets.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I think you know in your heart what you want to do

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.