Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

State taxes after moving to UK

State taxes after moving to UK

Old Jan 3rd 2021, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Vanessa_GA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default State taxes after moving to UK

I understand US citizens have to file tax returns with the IRS wherever they live, but I'm wondering what happens with state taxes. If the last state you lived in taxes income, would you still have to file/pay them if you moved to the UK?
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Beraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State taxes after moving to UK

Depends on the State.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beraider
Depends on the State.
Good answer! Of course you're right. It just seems odd to me that there's a lot of discussion on here regarding federal tax filing, but next to nothing about state taxes.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 7:16 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

State taxes are a F@#$%@#$%@#$% pain for US expats. I mean, I really really hate this part of working overseas.

As noted, 'it depends' is the correct answer, but in many cases, you'd probably be surprised how many states require you to continue filing state income tax returns every year.

In some states it boils down to "domicile" (not "residency"), property, and visa status overseas. If you say keep bank accounts at a US state address, a US drivers license, voting in a certain state, etc, and then return back to that address in a few years, these can be used to show your "domicile" did not change even though you were not resident and you are still liable for taxes. If you own property in a state, the state may take that attitude you will one day return and need to pay for the upkeep of the community which surrounds your property. Some states say if you are overseas only temporarily (i.e. a work visa) you don't have the right to live there permanently such that your permanent home remains in the US state.

But it really depends.

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com...tate-taxation/
https://www.usexpattaxhelp.com/Expat...Tax-Return.php
Old Jan 4th 2021, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
State taxes are a F@#$%@#$%@#$% pain for US expats. I mean, I really really hate this part of working overseas.

As noted, 'it depends' is the correct answer, but in many cases, you'd probably be surprised how many states require you to continue filing state income tax returns every year.

In some states it boils down to "domicile" (not "residency"), property, and visa status overseas. If you say keep bank accounts at a US state address, a US drivers license, voting in a certain state, etc, and then return back to that address in a few years, these can be used to show your "domicile" did not change even though you were not resident and you are still liable for taxes. If you own property in a state, the state may take that attitude you will one day return and need to pay for the upkeep of the community which surrounds your property. Some states say if you are overseas only temporarily (i.e. a work visa) you don't have the right to live there permanently such that your permanent home remains in the US state.

But it really depends.

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com...tate-taxation/
https://www.usexpattaxhelp.com/Expat...Tax-Return.php
Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the helpful links. The work visa scenario you described applies to my US citizen husband at the moment, working in the UK and still paying taxes to Georgia. We're trying to plan out his retirement and subsequent permanent move to the UK. I think it's going to involve establishing residency in Florida or Texas prior to applying for the spouse visa because we don't want to pay Georgia money for nothing, or even just the hassle of filing.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa_GA
Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the helpful links. The work visa scenario you described applies to my US citizen husband at the moment, working in the UK and still paying taxes to Georgia. We're trying to plan out his retirement and subsequent permanent move to the UK. I think it's going to involve establishing residency in Florida or Texas prior to applying for the spouse visa because we don't want to pay Georgia money for nothing, or even just the hassle of filing.
We were working in Louisiana when we retired. We immediately moved "next door" to Texas, spent 5 years doing lots of travel then moved back to the UK in 2016. Nice to not have to worry about State taxes.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Erica95
Hello, can you please tell me if there are agencies in the UK in London that provide tax advice and do you know what has been verified?
Like yourself I really struggled with this when I returned in 2016 and finally found one who has been doing my returns. She is fully booked and each year I wonder if this is the year I won't get a reply to my emails.

Searching google for US tax advisors in England comes up with many choices, but no recommendations. I have registered with Greenback Expat Services and am on their newsletter and have attended a couple of their web seminars but have not used them. They are my standby for when my current advisor retires, moves on or whatever.

Some of the below have been recommended by posters on this site. Some are inexpensive (less than $400), some are expensive ($1,000+).

Golden Rules for choosing a great tax professional when in the UK:

1. QUALIFICATIONS
Do not be shy! Ask if they are members of professional bodies in both the US and UK and if so, which ones and for how long.
2. COST
Ask what they charge!
3. COMFORT
Pick one who is dually US/UK qualified (so you know that the tax preparer is regulated in both the US and the UK) and who you feel you can get on with. This is a personal choice so call a few firms before deciding...

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com/

https://britishamericantax.com/

Expatriate Tax Services | US & US Expat Tax Returns | Ingelton Partners

https://www.hrblock.com/expat-tax-pr...caAtw7EALw_wcB

https://www.taxesforexpats.com/

https://www.usglobaltax.co.uk/

https://www.americanuktaxsolutions.com/about-us.html

American Tax Returns - US and UK Tax Experts Tel: 020 8946 0523

https://www.frankhirth.com/

Last edited by durham_lad; Jan 28th 2021 at 2:24 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Streetlegal is an unknown quantity at this point

This is so annoying! I had assumed I no longer paid bloody state tax when retiring back in the UK, but California it seems is a "sticky" state and I will have to continue to pay taxes here.
Does anyone know what parts of my income the state tax will cover?
Ed
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Streetlegal is an unknown quantity at this point

Just looked this up. Apparently pensions are excluded from California state tax, so I should be okay as long as I am non-resident. Phew.
Old Feb 4th 2023, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

kateg60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We were working in Louisiana when we retired. We immediately moved "next door" to Texas, spent 5 years doing lots of travel then moved back to the UK in 2016. Nice to not have to worry about State taxes.
Did you actually rent/buy property in Texas during the 5 years?
Old Feb 4th 2023, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kateg60
Did you actually rent/buy property in Texas during the 5 years?
We rented an apartment in a complex so that it was easy to “lock and leave”. I’d moved all our bill paying to online, when we’d go I would let the front desk know and they would look after the place while we were gone. Our son would drop by the mail box every week or so to see if anything important had arrived.