Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The state of the Church in the UK

Wikiposts

The state of the Church in the UK

Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:13 am
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of
Default Re: The state of the Church in the UK

Originally Posted by TruBrit
curious....where did you hear that?
You can just google "sharia law UK"
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:13 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thydney
Heard it from a realtor so it might be a load of bollox but I'm sure it's not having seen a number of churches for sale.
well they usually do talk a load of bollox
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OiOi
You can just google "sharia law UK"
ahhh... i thought you'd been talking to someone and heard it first hand.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:16 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Not as far as I was aware.
I've heard the statement that said that there is some room for it to be used privately within asian families for the point of settling family differences or disputes, but as far as I know it's not a legal part of UK law.
I was a comment by a senior judge (Justice Thumbs I think) who said that we should adopt some part because of the number of muslims in the UK and the fact that our system is based on Christian beliefs meant it excluded a large number of the populace.

The next one to type this tripe will have their hands cut off, it's the law!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:24 am
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of

ahhh... i thought you'd been talking to someone and heard it first hand.
Probably also paper talk from what i read recently. Althought i might have gotten that story confused with the story on Sheffield council refusing christian burials at weekends so that the weekends can be kept open exclusively for muslim burials. And that story appears to have been true

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/...day.4537397.jp
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OiOi
Probably also paper talk from what i read recently. Althought i might have gotten that story confused with the story on Sheffield council refusing christian burials at weekends so that the weekends can be kept open exclusively for muslim burials. And that story appears to have been true

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/...day.4537397.jp
yep i was aware of that, it had been discussed on here awhile back.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:32 am
\o/

yep i was aware of that, it had been discussed on here awhile back.
probably while i was on my trip back to the UK. Where I also noticed that a few traditional churches (i.e the old buildings) have been converted into bars and clubs.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

From the Times Online about Sharia in the UK.

Rulings issued by a network of five sharia courts are enforceable with the full power of the judicial system, through the county courts or High Court.

Previously, the rulings of sharia courts in Britain could not be enforced, and depended on voluntary compliance among Muslims.

It has now emerged that sharia courts with these powers have been set up in London, Birmingham, Bradford and Manchester with the network’s headquarters in Nuneaton, Warwickshire. Two more courts are being planned for Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Sheikh Faiz-ul-Aqtab Siddiqi, whose Muslim Arbitration Tribunal runs the courts, said he had taken advantage of a clause in the Arbitration Act 1996.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4749183.ece
Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:36 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranston
From the Times Online about Sharia in the UK.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4749183.ece
I think you find they are working within the law as it exists Sharia cannot over ride the State Law.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
I think you find they are working within the law as it exists Sharia cannot over ride the State Law.
From the same Times article.

Siddiqi said that in a recent inheritance dispute handled by the court in Nuneaton, the estate of a Midlands man was divided between three daughters and two sons.

The judges on the panel gave the sons twice as much as the daughters, in accordance with sharia. Had the family gone to a normal British court, the daughters would have got equal amounts.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I don't bother with going to any church. I think there is something said or written in the bible that says God sees and hears everything anywhere at any time. So if we need to pray, God can hear us just as well in our homes as in a church. So no need to go to church to be heard, IMO.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:05 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
I don't bother with going to any church. I think there is something said or written in the bible that says God sees and hears everything anywhere at any time. So if we need to pray, God can hear us just as well in our homes as in a church. So no need to go to church to be heard, IMO.
One could also say, I don't go to church because I'm an aethiest.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:19 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

don't know about rigid doctrine....the majority of my friend's growing up were RC and they had the fear of god put into them if they didn't attend sunday mass.....
I think a lot of it is the fear of God ....... and for the oldies it's also a fear of dying in sin.

For the more sceptic it could be just a matter of behaving badly all week, going to confession and getting absolved of your sins !
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:28 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I think a lot of it is the fear of God ....... and for the oldies it's also a fear of dying in sin.

For the more sceptic it could be just a matter of behaving badly all week, going to confession and getting absolved of your sins !
LoL Well maybe you are one of those that think that religion is for the living, and to help the living through their fear of dying?

I heard somebody say once that if everyone that goes to church could just get used to the idea that it's a life and death cycle, and stop hoping that by worshipping a god that's never been seen that they will somehow meet their dead loved ones again when they die, in an afterlife in some parallel universe called heaven that nobody has ever returned from to confirm it exists.... then maybe people wouldn't need to believe in anything.
Maybe that's a fair theory in response too.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:31 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
From what I can gather, that behaviour doesn't sound like it differs too much from the pentecostal, southern baptist, 1st church of christ, or any of the other rather strange (to me) "modern non denominational" churches over here.
How about a "church" that doesn't believe in music or playing instruments because that leads to dancing, which is the instrument of the devil because that's used to get men and women to indulge in the temptation of touching? Sounds unlikely but they still seem to have a big congregation on sundays, and a lot of them are teenagers. Makes the Catholic churches back home seem positively liberal.
Reminds me of the film "Footloose"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.