Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The state of the Church in the UK

The state of the Church in the UK

Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:06 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default The state of the Church in the UK

I was reading George Will today (don't ask why--thought it was someone else) but he had an interesting paragraph:

"In London, more Muslims attend Friday prayers than Anglicans attend Sunday services. Last December, on the Sunday after former prime minister Tony Blair was received into the Catholic Church, more Catholics than Anglicans attended services in England, an increasingly common occurrence now, five centuries after the Reformation."

While I've heard that bit about Muslims, is that the case that more Catholics than Anglicans are attending services? I'd never heard that factoid before.

Full column here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101702529.html
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:46 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The state of the Church in the UK

Doesn't surprise me. Always seemed that way when I was growing up. Now that I'm older and wiser, any deity that wishes to speak to me may come and find me in my own home.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:14 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I was reading George Will today (don't ask why--thought it was someone else) but he had an interesting paragraph:

"In London, more Muslims attend Friday prayers than Anglicans attend Sunday services. Last December, on the Sunday after former prime minister Tony Blair was received into the Catholic Church, more Catholics than Anglicans attended services in England, an increasingly common occurrence now, five centuries after the Reformation."

While I've heard that bit about Muslims, is that the case that more Catholics than Anglicans are attending services? I'd never heard that factoid before.

Full column here:
Ah, but a significant number of immigrants to the UK are Catholic,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1542702/Immigrants-'overwhelm'-Catholic-churches.html
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:40 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as Eddie Izzard once said, "The Church of England isn't really a religion... it's more of a hobby, really".
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:01 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix

Full column here:

What did they do, count the envelopes in the collection plate, or was there a discreet government observer hiding in the bushes and counting the heads going in to all these places?
Thinking back, on a sunday morning the car park of the local Roman Catholic church was always more full than the car park of the local C of E. Who knows, maybe the others don't "car pool" like the C of E members do.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:03 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
What did they do, count the envelopes in the collection plate, or was there a discreet government observer hiding in the bushes and counting the heads going in to all these places?
Thinking back, on a sunday morning the car park of the local Roman Catholic church was always more full than the car park of the local C of E. Who knows, maybe the others don't "car pool" like the C of E members do.
I believe RC has a more rigid doctrine about attending church.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:11 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs

Ok, thanks for informing me
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I also think that a lot of Christians have moved into the more modern "non denominational" churches
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:22 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

More rigid cocks in choir boys more like
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thydney
More rigid cocks in choir boys more like

watch out thyd, you'll have the rev after you
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:26 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Ok, thanks for informing me
or rather more people (immigrants especially) who take it more seriously. Sorry, did not mean to come off as a pedant or anything, I hate it when someone does that to me.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

don't know about rigid doctrine....the majority of my friend's growing up were RC and they had the fear of god put into them if they didn't attend sunday mass.....
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:33 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit

watch out thyd, you'll have the rev after you
He'll get the same FO all the perv priests get
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Thydney
He'll get the same FO all the perv priests get
sounds like the birthday boy is on form today
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:30 pm
Banned

or rather more people (immigrants especially) who take it more seriously. Sorry, did not mean to come off as a pedant or anything, I hate it when someone does that to me.

lol Don't worry Cindy, you didn't come across as a pedant
I was joking in what I said on my original post though (apart from the car park being fuller bit), and I appreciated that you had read it and just tried to explain a possible real reason for the attendances.
Not a problem. Even I didn't know if you'd said it as a joke, or to help me out, I could tell that it obviously wasn't done with the intention of trying to be a smartass towards me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.