Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The state of the Church in the UK

Wikiposts

The state of the Church in the UK

Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:32 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The state of the Church in the UK

Originally Posted by lisa67
I also think that a lot of Christians have moved into the more modern "non denominational" churches
is that another term for "cults"? lol
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
is that another term for "cults"? lol
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:53 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
don't know about rigid doctrine....the majority of my friend's growing up were RC and they had the fear of god put into them if they didn't attend sunday mass.....
From what I can gather, that behaviour doesn't sound like it differs too much from the pentecostal, southern baptist, 1st church of christ, or any of the other rather strange (to me) "modern non denominational" churches over here.
How about a "church" that doesn't believe in music or playing instruments because that leads to dancing, which is the instrument of the devil because that's used to get men and women to indulge in the temptation of touching? Sounds unlikely but they still seem to have a big congregation on sundays, and a lot of them are teenagers. Makes the Catholic churches back home seem positively liberal.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can gather, that behaviour doesn't sound like it differs too much from the pentecostal, southern baptist, 1st church of christ, or any of the other rather strange (to me) "modern non denominational" churches over here.
How about a "church" that doesn't believe in music or playing instruments because that leads to dancing, which is the instrument of the devil because that's used to get men and women to indulge in the temptation of touching? Sounds unlikely but they still seem to have a big congregation on sundays, and a lot of them are teenagers. Makes the Catholic churches back home seem positively liberal.
There's certainly some very strange "churches" around over here. Not sure how far it has spread back in the UK ?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:58 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I never found a church that made me feel at ease full of farking fraggles claiming to have experienced miracles and saying hallelujah at the top of their voices every two minutes
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:02 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

never have i seen church car parks as full as here on sundays meanwhile the priest/vicar who ever is hopping from church to church via his 'copter ... ironic as only last month stats were published that in Houston the majority of gun crimes occur on sundays...i'll try to find the link to that.....
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:04 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

never have i seen church car parks as full as here on sundays meanwhile the priest/vicar who ever is hopping from church to church via his 'copter ... ironic as only last month stats were published that in Houston the majority of gun crimes occur on sundays...i'll try to find the link to that.....
The other good con over in the US is when they build a new church, it goes in the pastors name so when it folds guess who owns it
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:06 am
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of

There's certainly some very strange "churches" around over here. Not sure how far it has spread back in the UK ?
I hear that Shari law has been adopted to some extent in the UK.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Thydney
The other good con over in the US is when they build a new church, it goes in the pastors name so when it folds guess who owns it
no, seriously?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OiOi

curious....where did you hear that?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:09 am
Banned

Yeah, very verrrry strange. I jokingly tell a couple of people that go to some of them that they belong to a cult, they laugh at that, but I'm actually being pretty serious when I say it, they just don't see it the same way.

How far? Not too far where I was from, as far as I know.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:09 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

You had 'em in the tail end of the 16th century and the early 17th century........., I don't mean snake handling etc, I mean that strong discouraging of "fun."
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:11 am
Not dead yet

no, seriously?
Heard it from a realtor so it might be a load of bollox but I'm sure it's not having seen a number of churches for sale.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:12 am
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by cindyabs
You had 'em in the tail end of the 16th century and the early 17th century........., I don't mean snake handling etc, I mean that strong discouraging of "fun."
Still do they're Catholics
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by OiOi
Not as far as I was aware.
I've heard the statement that said that there is some room for it to be used privately within asian families for the point of settling family differences or disputes, but as far as I know it's not a legal part of UK law.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.