Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Starting new credit history in the UK

Starting new credit history in the UK

Old Apr 16th 2019, 7:09 pm
  #16  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 8,224
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by vikingsail View Post
I'm glad you posted this as I was wondering, with all due respect, how the original Brit Expat contributor could assert comprehensively that the credit reporting bureaus do not use the voter registers in either country. I say that as credit reporting is a well regarded mystical art form and the exact calculation and variables used to compose a credit score are unknown, except to a few 'Merlin' like characters.
the contributor you refer to usually gives very logical and sound advice, perhaps simply the way credit scores are worked out in UK have change din recent years. or perhaps contrary to the wording on the credit agency sites that the actual score isnt effected by being on the electoral role- but that is a stretch as i know specifically for Equifax two people who score instantly went up when they got on the electoral role again.
specifically.

Clearscore is free so pretty easy to sign up for and they have some useful videos on whole subject. On the subject of credit seems Capital One in UK just as easy to get as it is in USA.

morpeth is offline  
Old Apr 16th 2019, 7:12 pm
  #17  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 51,000
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
…. I know specifically for Equifax two people who score instantly went up when they got on the electoral role again.
specifically. ….
Thank you, that answers my question above.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2019, 5:04 am
  #18  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: France
Posts: 651
Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Presumably when at uni (and before) she had a bank account, mobile phone, paid bills etc. So she will have a credit history.
She left the UK in 1986. Would their records go back as far as that?
Anyway, the mobile phone company she got the contract with was Three. She had no end of trouble terminating the contract at the end of the year before returning to Japan. It had to be done over the phone and apparently she was put through to a series of incomprehensible people in call centres. Took her hours to get someone who was finally willing to end the contract.
Helen1964 is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2019, 6:31 am
  #19  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,830
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by Helen1964 View Post
Why do you need a credit score? Or, if you have enough income every month, a credit card?
I've only ever had debit cards. Am genuinely curious.
A credit score impacts so many services you might need in the States. Car insurance premiums are seriously higher or lower based on your credit score. Certain jobs can be denied based on how well you've taken care of your credit in the States. I remember when I was a young man starting my finance company and needing approval by a lender to do business with my new company and my credit score played a role in getting either a thumbs up or down. And lets not forget that most credit card limits and interest rates are based on your credit score and history. The UK might be different in valuing credit scores?
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2019, 6:39 am
  #20  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,830
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Yes, once established and with a good credit score.



Yes. Get yourself on the electoral roll asap.



https://moneyfacts.co.uk/guides/debt...credit-rating/

HTH.
Thanks. Brilliant as always.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Apr 17th 2019, 8:54 am
  #21  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,955
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by Helen1964 View Post
Anyway, the mobile phone company she got the contract with was Three.
That's great, but as illustrated above by somebody else, lack of a credit score can mean a mobile phone contract is refused. A credit score isn't just for the 'big ticket' items, it can impact all sorts of things in day to day life, a few have been mentioned above, so that's why the OP is (quite rightly IMO) thinking ahead to how they can get their score up asap.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Apr 18th 2019, 6:32 am
  #22  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2018
Location: North West England
Posts: 240
Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Some very good friends are getting much closer to leaving the USA and moving back to the UK once they complete the purchase of a house. They are paying cash for their new home but they are becoming well aware that their excellent credit history in the States will mean nothing in Europe not to mention the UK on day one. So now they will need to engineer a build up of solid credit in the UK in order to establish themselves with certain lenders such as credit card companies. Their new reality is making this very real for my wife and I because we will be making the move to Europe in less than two years. Some of their main credit card companies that they hold are not even in the UK. So in many ways they are starting over.

So here are my questions that other people may benefit from.

Is it possible to attain high limit secured credit cards with 1000 to 20,000 limits?
Is it true that being on the voter role actually affect your credit score?
What other factors impact starting a solid credit history in the UK other than being on the voter roles?

My friends have been told that one of their credit cards can be used in the UK with a UK address but the usage fees are much higher which mean their other option is to apply for a credit card with the same company in the UK but the catch is they must have UK credit in order to qualify. Which essentially means they are starting over.

This news has made me and my wife want to start working on our UK credit before we move over there.

We just moved here 7 weeks ago and can give you some info.
We had very high credit card limits in the US ( Amex and visa ) We used Amex global transfer to obtain a UK Amex card they have many cards to choose from we went with a no limit card - it was there platinum card and there is a fee we where approved and had the cards within 10 days ( I had to upload my UK passport to them )
Our US Amex has no foreign transaction fees so we could use that without a problem ( however not all shops accept Amex ) M &S does Debenhams, Bealls and the bigger supermarkets such as Morrison’s, Tesco
We could not get a SIM card contract without a UK credit card and they did not accept Amex. They also wanted Uk address history for the past 3 years ( so my mother signed the agreement ) and we are paying for it direct debit
HSBC was taking to long to open up the UK account ( it was going to took 10 days to get an appointment to open up a premier account even though we had opened a premier account in the US )
In the end because I had the UK passport I opened a nationwide account in the US and used transferwise to move our money.
Nationwide sent me a visa debit card which works well , the young lady did tell us if we applied for a credit card we would be denied and to give it a few months and apply.

Easiest way to get a credit card would be to have a premier HSBC account in USA
Apply for a credit card with them while still in the US
open an international account for UK and then apply for UK credit card ( they do take your credit history from the US into consideration )

Buying a car was also interesting we just used the debit card . We actually looked at new cars (and it may just be Toyota ) but we would have had to wait until September to receive. Not wanting to waste money hiring and being unable to wait until September we bought a ( demonstration car )
We had hybrid cars in the US and wanted a hybrid here .. BMW and Mercedes are looking to produce hybrids ( per their sales people ) at the end of the year and next year.
Diesel apparently is falling out of favor
Aviva car insurance company takes your US no claims into consideration and we found that they are 1/2 the price of others
My hubby is planning to get his UK driving license so we are currently researching the steps we need to take. ( he can drive on his US license for 12 months ) He will do a couple of driving lessons to make sure he is well prepared ( we all have bad habits after years of driving in the US 🤣)


Sammy2018 is offline  
Old Apr 18th 2019, 8:34 am
  #23  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 3,646
durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by Sammy2018 View Post



We just moved here 7 weeks ago and can give you some info.
We had very high credit card limits in the US ( Amex and visa ) We used Amex global transfer to obtain a UK Amex card they have many cards to choose from we went with a no limit card - it was there platinum card and there is a fee we where approved and had the cards within 10 days ( I had to upload my UK passport to them )
Our US Amex has no foreign transaction fees so we could use that without a problem ( however not all shops accept Amex ) M &S does Debenhams, Bealls and the bigger supermarkets such as Morrison’s, Tesco
We could not get a SIM card contract without a UK credit card and they did not accept Amex. They also wanted Uk address history for the past 3 years ( so my mother signed the agreement ) and we are paying for it direct debit
HSBC was taking to long to open up the UK account ( it was going to took 10 days to get an appointment to open up a premier account even though we had opened a premier account in the US )
In the end because I had the UK passport I opened a nationwide account in the US and used transferwise to move our money.
Nationwide sent me a visa debit card which works well , the young lady did tell us if we applied for a credit card we would be denied and to give it a few months and apply.

Easiest way to get a credit card would be to have a premier HSBC account in USA
Apply for a credit card with them while still in the US
open an international account for UK and then apply for UK credit card ( they do take your credit history from the US into consideration )

Buying a car was also interesting we just used the debit card . We actually looked at new cars (and it may just be Toyota ) but we would have had to wait until September to receive. Not wanting to waste money hiring and being unable to wait until September we bought a ( demonstration car )
We had hybrid cars in the US and wanted a hybrid here .. BMW and Mercedes are looking to produce hybrids ( per their sales people ) at the end of the year and next year.
Diesel apparently is falling out of favor
Aviva car insurance company takes your US no claims into consideration and we found that they are 1/2 the price of others
My hubby is planning to get his UK driving license so we are currently researching the steps we need to take. ( he can drive on his US license for 12 months ) He will do a couple of driving lessons to make sure he is well prepared ( we all have bad habits after years of driving in the US 🤣)


Very informative. Thanks for sharing this. Both us and our son used Aviva for car insurance as they do accept US no claims records, and I see that it is up for renewal, oh joy.
durham_lad is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2019, 7:28 am
  #24  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,830
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by Sammy2018 View Post



We just moved here 7 weeks ago and can give you some info.
We had very high credit card limits in the US ( Amex and visa ) We used Amex global transfer to obtain a UK Amex card they have many cards to choose from we went with a no limit card - it was there platinum card and there is a fee we where approved and had the cards within 10 days ( I had to upload my UK passport to them )
Our US Amex has no foreign transaction fees so we could use that without a problem ( however not all shops accept Amex ) M &S does Debenhams, Bealls and the bigger supermarkets such as Morrison’s, Tesco
We could not get a SIM card contract without a UK credit card and they did not accept Amex. They also wanted Uk address history for the past 3 years ( so my mother signed the agreement ) and we are paying for it direct debit
HSBC was taking to long to open up the UK account ( it was going to took 10 days to get an appointment to open up a premier account even though we had opened a premier account in the US )
In the end because I had the UK passport I opened a nationwide account in the US and used transferwise to move our money.
Nationwide sent me a visa debit card which works well , the young lady did tell us if we applied for a credit card we would be denied and to give it a few months and apply.

Easiest way to get a credit card would be to have a premier HSBC account in USA
Apply for a credit card with them while still in the US
open an international account for UK and then apply for UK credit card ( they do take your credit history from the US into consideration )

Buying a car was also interesting we just used the debit card . We actually looked at new cars (and it may just be Toyota ) but we would have had to wait until September to receive. Not wanting to waste money hiring and being unable to wait until September we bought a ( demonstration car )
We had hybrid cars in the US and wanted a hybrid here .. BMW and Mercedes are looking to produce hybrids ( per their sales people ) at the end of the year and next year.
Diesel apparently is falling out of favor
Aviva car insurance company takes your US no claims into consideration and we found that they are 1/2 the price of others
My hubby is planning to get his UK driving license so we are currently researching the steps we need to take. ( he can drive on his US license for 12 months ) He will do a couple of driving lessons to make sure he is well prepared ( we all have bad habits after years of driving in the US 🤣)


Awesome post!

That detailed information will give a lot of people ideas of how to navigate once in the UK. I had no idea that American citizens can use their US drivers license up to one year in the UK.

My beautiful wife has all the credit cards like most good shoppers do. While I just have two good ones that I've had forever. I'm considering getting two secured high limit UK cards and keeping my current cards. We'll still have bills in the USA to pay. Thank goodness for online payments. Funny you should mention HSBC because we will need use of a UK bank with strong ties in the US and other countries in Europe. Not sure if Bank of America will bring everything to the table. My friends are going to do really well in the UK. In no time at all his wife is going to get use to driving on the right side of the car and left side of the road. That's what I keep telling her. But come to think of it there has to be many cars in the UK with a left side steering wheel. I could be wrong but I'm thinking right side steering wheels can't be mandatory especially considering the UK has been in the European Union forever, and other nationals have the right to drive their vehicles into the UK.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2019, 8:38 am
  #25  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 3,646
durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Awesome post!

That detailed information will give a lot of people ideas of how to navigate once in the UK. I had no idea that American citizens can use their US drivers license up to one year in the UK.

My beautiful wife has all the credit cards like most good shoppers do. While I just have two good ones that I've had forever. I'm considering getting two secured high limit UK cards and keeping my current cards. We'll still have bills in the USA to pay. Thank goodness for online payments. Funny you should mention HSBC because we will need use of a UK bank with strong ties in the US and other countries in Europe. Not sure if Bank of America will bring everything to the table. My friends are going to do really well in the UK. In no time at all his wife is going to get use to driving on the right side of the car and left side of the road. That's what I keep telling her. But come to think of it there has to be many cars in the UK with a left side steering wheel. I could be wrong but I'm thinking right side steering wheels can't be mandatory especially considering the UK has been in the European Union forever, and other nationals have the right to drive their vehicles into the UK.
I would check now with Bank of America to see if they support overseas customers as many US banks don’t. That was our case and also for our son so we opened an HSBC US account and moved our pensions etc to deposit there well before we moved over.

You will find pretty well zero left hand drive cars in the UK mostly for practical reasons. Very difficult to see past the vehicle in front before overtaking for a start. The headlights point the wrong way so that would also have to be fixed. For drivers taking their car to EU countries then if you are planning on driving at night you need to have stick-on covers over your headlights to avoid dazzling on coming traffic. When we have been to France and Belgium in cars driven by our siblings they carry the lens covers but we go in the summer with long days and avoid night time driving. Apparently the lens covers are a pain to put on and take off so they don’t put them on unless there is an emergency and they have to drive in the dark for some reason.
durham_lad is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2019, 5:53 pm
  #26  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Done with condescending old hags
Posts: 1,194
Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
But come to think of it there has to be many cars in the UK with a left side steering wheel. I could be wrong but I'm thinking right side steering wheels can't be mandatory especially considering the UK has been in the European Union forever, and other nationals have the right to drive their vehicles into the UK.
Not many at all. The UK drives on the left. Left hand drive cars are fundamentally impractical - the lights dip in the wrong direction, the driver can't see oncoming traffic as well, if you want to pay a road toll or get pulled over you have to lean over half the car. You can of course drive a LHD in a country that drives on the left, but most people simply wouldn't want to - so if you were staying short-term, the LHD car would go back to a LHD country after, if you were staying long-term you'd want to replace it with a RHD.

Biggest website for buying cars is probably Autotrader.co.uk who currently claim to have slightly over 499,000 cars available across the UK. Left hand drive isn't common enough to be one of the 21 things you can search for by default, but they do have a search box so you can add your own. Searching for 'left hand drive' gives about 2,000 results (0.4% of the stock), and the first result that it gave me is clearly a right hand drive so the actual total may be even slightly lower.
Vulcanoid is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2019, 8:36 pm
  #27  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,830
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by durham_lad View Post


I would check now with Bank of America to see if they support overseas customers as many US banks don’t. That was our case and also for our son so we opened an HSBC US account and moved our pensions etc to deposit there well before we moved over.

You will find pretty well zero left hand drive cars in the UK mostly for practical reasons. Very difficult to see past the vehicle in front before overtaking for a start. The headlights point the wrong way so that would also have to be fixed. For drivers taking their car to EU countries then if you are planning on driving at night you need to have stick-on covers over your headlights to avoid dazzling on coming traffic. When we have been to France and Belgium in cars driven by our siblings they carry the lens covers but we go in the summer with long days and avoid night time driving. Apparently the lens covers are a pain to put on and take off so they don’t put them on unless there is an emergency and they have to drive in the dark for some reason.
I had my suspicions about American credit card companies, have only checked a few. The few that do allow their cards to be transferred to a UK address seem to charge a international usage fee. Which in my opinion is not a true national account transfer. HSBC has a good reputation for this type of new start..

I think my friend's wife will get use to dyslexic driving eventually. At least that is what it feels like at first when performing a function and getting your brain to catch up with the change in how to go about it. lol. She didn't drive the entire time while in the UK a few months ago. And I rather think it's going to be fun once she figures it out. She told me that she automatically wants to stay in the right side lane when making turns onto a different street. She just need to start slow and work her way up to busy throughways. Before long she will not miss left side driving positions. I have a feeling roundabouts are going to feel especially interesting for her at first. But she is sharp and will conquer.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2019, 8:44 pm
  #28  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,830
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid View Post
Not many at all. The UK drives on the left. Left hand drive cars are fundamentally impractical - the lights dip in the wrong direction, the driver can't see oncoming traffic as well, if you want to pay a road toll or get pulled over you have to lean over half the car. You can of course drive a LHD in a country that drives on the left, but most people simply wouldn't want to - so if you were staying short-term, the LHD car would go back to a LHD country after, if you were staying long-term you'd want to replace it with a RHD.

Biggest website for buying cars is probably Autotrader.co.uk who currently claim to have slightly over 499,000 cars available across the UK. Left hand drive isn't common enough to be one of the 21 things you can search for by default, but they do have a search box so you can add your own. Searching for 'left hand drive' gives about 2,000 results (0.4% of the stock), and the first result that it gave me is clearly a right hand drive so the actual total may be even slightly lower.
Thanks for that helpful information. I will definitely add that app to my devices. It kinda would be fun to search out some of those cool vintage cars from back in the day. Such as Rovers. Have a older cousin that loves collecting many of the oldies.
UkWinds5353 is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2019, 10:37 pm
  #29  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 51,000
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
..... But come to think of it there has to be many cars in the UK with a left side steering wheel. I could be wrong but I'm thinking right side steering wheels can't be mandatory especially considering the UK has been in the European Union forever, and other nationals have the right to drive their vehicles into the UK.
Despite what you apparently think, Britain is not that unusual in driving on the left, in fact a number of other countries do, unsurprisingly many of them former British colonies, but Japan drives on the left too. Countries that drive on the left include Australia, South Africa, NZ, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and India. And it is those last three that are the reason why approximately a quarter of the world's population lives in a country that drives on the left.

There is quite a long list of smaller countries and islands, mostly in Asia and the Caribbean that also drive on the left.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2019, 9:26 am
  #30  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 3,646
durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new credit history in the UK

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Despite what you apparently think, Britain is not that unusual in driving on the left, in fact a number of other countries do, unsurprisingly many of them former British colonies, but Japan drives on the left too. Countries that drive on the left include Australia, South Africa, NZ, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique, Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and India. And it is those last three that are the reason why approximately a quarter of the world's population lives in a country that drives on the left.

There is quite a long list of smaller countries and islands, mostly in Asia and the Caribbean that also drive on the left.
As does Ireland, probably the only EU country to drive on the left.
durham_lad is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.