Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Staines as in Heathrow? HELP!

Wikiposts

Staines as in Heathrow? HELP!

Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

obewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant future
Default Re: Staines as in Heathrow? HELP!

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I totally agree Sally, which is why I didn't bite their arm off.

I don't want to live in an industrial area with smog and fumes and ugliness.

I really do have to live in a nice place. Some people seem to think it's do-able on here, others don't.
Maybe you are confusing Staines with Slough then? Slough is certainly the industrial town you paint a picture of, the smog, ugliness etc. Staines is not what I would consider industrial. Parts of it nearer the centre are not the prettiest and are built up in semi 60's style office blocks, but parts of Staines are actually very attractive. Head towards the river & there are lovely areas. Plus right next door you have Egham, Laleham, Thorpe, Chertsey which are all nice areas & easily commutable to Staines centre by walk or bus. There are plenty of busses around that you could catch, and you can easily live in a very nice & scenic part, and get to countryside within a short drive/walk/cycle from there.

I'd probably steer clear of the Ashford/Hounslow side, as that does start to get a bit more industrial, built up, concrete-ey, and a lot less leafy.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 8:26 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obewan
Maybe you are confusing Staines with Slough then? Slough is certainly the industrial town you paint a picture of, the smog, ugliness etc. Staines is not what I would consider industrial. Parts of it nearer the centre are not the prettiest and are built up in semi 60's style office blocks, but parts of Staines are actually very attractive. Head towards the river & there are lovely areas. Plus right next door you have Egham, Laleham, Thorpe, Chertsey which are all nice areas & easily commutable to Staines centre by walk or bus. There are plenty of busses around that you could catch, and you can easily live in a very nice & scenic part, and get to countryside within a short drive/walk/cycle from there.

I'd probably steer clear of the Ashford/Hounslow side, as that does start to get a bit more industrial, built up, concrete-ey, and a lot less leafy.
Oh I'm not really confusing anywhere with anywhere because I don't even know Staines or anywhere darn sarf to be honest. It will be like emigrating all over again, I will be a foreigner!! I hope the locals can understand my accent LOL!!

I was more thinking of areas around the airport, say like here in Sydney I work near the airport at Mascot and it really is not my kind of place to live. Concrete, huge trucks, noise, pollution........don't like it.

Looking on the map it seems to be nearer to Hounslow than Staines although Staines is the postal address.

I have been getting some good feedback about Laleham and the more leafy parts which are more my cup of tea.

Anyway haven't even got the job sorted yet I am just planning ahead.........I won't hear anymore until the New Year as boss has gone on holiday.....
Old Dec 24th 2010, 12:33 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I just took a look at Staines town center on Streetview and it's a bit grim. It reminds me of northern towns like Pontefract and Castleford, although I guess most people won't know those either. I can't imagine you there - not knowing the places you love.

I'd definitely look at surrounding villages because it's going to be so important to feel good about this move once you've made it. Good luck!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

obewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh I'm not really confusing anywhere with anywhere because I don't even know Staines or anywhere darn sarf to be honest. It will be like emigrating all over again, I will be a foreigner!! I hope the locals can understand my accent LOL!!

I was more thinking of areas around the airport, say like here in Sydney I work near the airport at Mascot and it really is not my kind of place to live. Concrete, huge trucks, noise, pollution........don't like it.

Looking on the map it seems to be nearer to Hounslow than Staines although Staines is the postal address.

I have been getting some good feedback about Laleham and the more leafy parts which are more my cup of tea.

Anyway haven't even got the job sorted yet I am just planning ahead.........I won't hear anymore until the New Year as boss has gone on holiday.....
Well good luck on the job front
for what it's worth, Staines is not the industrial chav town that has been painted by Ali G & others, there's def nicer parts to it, so I wouldn't write it off till you get to go have a look yourself.

google Staines Town Hall, then click on 'images' to see some pics. Same with Staines Two Rivers, or Staines thames, etc. -- see the images for them.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 10:30 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Staines is a step up from Feltham. Ashford on the other hand (Ashford Middx not Kent) is OK.

I would choose Chertsey though, only a few miles from Staines and 100% better.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 6:53 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I'm warming towards Chertsey, now all I need is THE BLOODY JOB!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

How did it go beedubya? Didya get the job?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 9:05 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

before we lived in the states - i worked in Staines and lived in Addlestone - next to Chertsey.

Addlestone is on a branch line and not a direct train line to London so its a bit cheaper to live in.

We were very happy there - feels a bit like the country but not far from where you need to go. If we went back toi the UK id be happy to live there again.

Staines town centre is okay. better shopping to be had in places like guildford which is not far away in a car.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 12:08 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by obewan
How did it go beedubya? Didya get the job?
Still haven't officially heard, but it's looking good so far, much more than I ever dreamed of to be honest!!!!

Though it still needs to be officially cleared by the big head honcho's in the ivory tower, and you know how slow the corporate world moves.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 12:11 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by MsElui
before we lived in the states - i worked in Staines and lived in Addlestone - next to Chertsey.

Addlestone is on a branch line and not a direct train line to London so its a bit cheaper to live in.

We were very happy there - feels a bit like the country but not far from where you need to go. If we went back toi the UK id be happy to live there again.

Staines town centre is okay. better shopping to be had in places like guildford which is not far away in a car.
I have heard of Addlestone, I have a FB friend who lives there, never met her IRL, you know one of those.

IF this whole thing comes together I think I may be staying with my niece and her fiancee, they just bought a flat in Crouch End, I know it's going to be a hike and probably expensive, but it would give me time to get my bearings and I will spend weekends sussing out places that are commutable as I will have no car for quite a while yet.