Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Spouse UK Visa Validity After Approval

Spouse UK Visa Validity After Approval

Old Sep 8th 2012, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

BostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant future
Default Spouse UK Visa Validity After Approval

Does any know how long the UK spouse VISA is valid after approval, do you have a specific Date to use it and enter the UK or could you do it six months in advance and enter the UK at your convenience.....just curious as I could be going back early next year (FEB) so wondered whats the best time to apply and whether I have to schedule the timings

thanks!!
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse UK Visa Validity After Approval

Originally Posted by BostonBrit Expat Since 03
Does any know how long the UK spouse VISA is valid after approval, do you have a specific Date to use it and enter the UK or could you do it six months in advance and enter the UK at your convenience.....just curious as I could be going back early next year (FEB) so wondered whats the best time to apply and whether I have to schedule the timings

thanks!!
The spouse visa will have "valid from" and a "valid to" date on it. You can enter the UK any time within that timeframe.

However you will not be able to be processed for permanent settlement until the applicant has lived in the UK for a specific time. Read below:

If you delayed your entry to the UK

If you were given a visa in this category but you then delayed your travel to the UK by up to 3 months, you can apply for settlement using application form SET(M) shortly before your visa expires. Provided you meet all the other requirements, we will put your application on hold until you have completed your 5 year qualifying period in the UK.

If you were given a visa in this category but you then delayed your travel to the UK by more than 3 months,

You will need to apply using application form FLR(M) for a further probationary period of 5 years. If we give you a further probationary period and you meet all the other requirements for settlement (including the knowledge of language and life), you will be able to apply for settlement as soon as you have completed a total of 5 years' probation (adding together your time spent in the UK under your visa and the necessary number of months from your second probationary period).

The initial visa will be issued for 2.5 years. The applicant cannot move to the UK until the visa is issued.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

BostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant future

thanks I was aware of the 5 year settlement time frame. Do you know how long the valid from and to dates typically are for the entry VISA once approved? e.g. 1 month, 3 month or longer as I have no idea and thats really what I am looking for to gauge my application timeframe.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BostonBrit Expat Since 03
thanks I was aware of the 5 year settlement time frame. Do you know how long the valid from and to dates typically are for the entry VISA once approved? e.g. 1 month, 3 month or longer as I have no idea and thats really what I am looking for to gauge my application timeframe.
First visa is for 2.5 years

I looked at this site for settlement info and validity of first leave to remain visa:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...cp/settlement/

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Sep 8th 2012 at 11:29 pm. Reason: added
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

cool, so it looks as though you can enter at any time, you just need to extend to reach the residency requriement if you are delayed by a large amount of time.

thanks for your help.