Spouse Settlement Visa

Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:32 am

Adelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant future
Default Spouse Settlement Visa

Has anyone here obtained a spouse settlement visa recently? Do you have to send originals or copies of documents to Canberra? For instance, do they require passports or copies of passports? I've looked at the UK Government site, but it seems inconsistent with its guidlines.

Also, has anyone had a spouse settlement visa refused? What are the most likely grounds for refusing?

Thanks,
Adelia
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:45 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Settlement Visa

Originally Posted by Adelia
Has anyone here obtained a spouse settlement visa recently? Do you have to send originals or copies of documents to Canberra? For instance, do they require passports or copies of passports? I've looked at the UK Government site, but it seems inconsistent with its guidlines.

Also, has anyone had a spouse settlement visa refused? What are the most likely grounds for refusing?

Thanks,
Adelia
Hi Adelia

We have just sent ours off. You have to send original documents i'm afraid. They advise sending them by Aus Post platinum service, which we did.

Can i ask how long you have been married as this affects things a bit?
Old Dec 30th 2008, 9:43 am

Adelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Hi Adelia

We have just sent ours off. You have to send original documents i'm afraid. They advise sending them by Aus Post platinum service, which we did.

Can i ask how long you have been married as this affects things a bit?
Thanks Fleaflyfloflum. I wonder how they will send the documents back, will they use Aus Post Platinum? We've been married for over 30 years - hope that's long enough! Is that the main reason you could be refused then? How much money do they expect you to have, does anyone know?

Adelia
Old Dec 30th 2008, 9:54 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fleaflyfloflum. I wonder how they will send the documents back, will they use Aus Post Platinum? We've been married for over 30 years - hope that's long enough! Is that the main reason you could be refused then? How much money do they expect you to have, does anyone know?

Adelia
Hi again

Yes, what you do is put a prepaid Aus Post platinum bag inside when you send it off and they just pop it all back in the new bag and return it.

Well i reckon 30yrs is long enough dont you?..get less for murder

We have been married 10yrs. As long as you have been living as man and wife 4yrs or more its not as much of a big deal having to prove your relationship.
To get a spouse visa you would normally have to do a knowledge of life in UK test befre your husband could be granted the visa, but as it can only be taken INSIDE the UK, they will stamp his visa with something to say he has to sit it when he gets there.

As for money requirements, I spoke to another member here called Finks few weeks back. Thery are going through the same process as us but are in NZ. He said that the embassy told them that the usual criteria for finances is £1500 per person after flight costs.
I am not 100% sure of this, but thats what he told me.

Will you be staying with anyone when you first go back?
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:21 am

Hi again

Yes, what you do is put a prepaid Aus Post platinum bag inside when you send it off and they just pop it all back in the new bag and return it.

Well i reckon 30yrs is long enough dont you?..get less for murder

We have been married 10yrs. As long as you have been living as man and wife 4yrs or more its not as much of a big deal having to prove your relationship.
To get a spouse visa you would normally have to do a knowledge of life in UK test befre your husband could be granted the visa, but as it can only be taken INSIDE the UK, they will stamp his visa with something to say he has to sit it when he gets there.

As for money requirements, I spoke to another member here called Finks few weeks back. Thery are going through the same process as us but are in NZ. He said that the embassy told them that the usual criteria for finances is £1500 per person after flight costs.
I am not 100% sure of this, but thats what he told me.

Will you be staying with anyone when you first go back?
Thanks Flea. No we won't be staying with anyone and can't arrange accommodation until we know for sure about his visa coming through. Do you think that will be a problem?

Adelia
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:25 am
I don't give a damn

Thanks Flea. No we won't be staying with anyone and can't arrange accommodation until we know for sure about his visa coming through. Do you think that will be a problem?

Adelia
Well yes, I think it could be. We had to submit proof and documentation on how we will accomodate ourselves. For us, we will be staying with OHs brother until we find a place to rent. This meant his brother had to submit a letter inviting us to stay, then supplying evidence that he owns his home.

I guess if you could show you have enough money to stay in a hotel and also pay for the up front deposit and rent on a place after that you should be ok.
The toruble is, they want written proof and evidencve for every god damn thing! Its a bit of a nightmare.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 12:13 am

Well yes, I think it could be. We had to submit proof and documentation on how we will accomodate ourselves. For us, we will be staying with OHs brother until we find a place to rent. This meant his brother had to submit a letter inviting us to stay, then supplying evidence that he owns his home.

I guess if you could show you have enough money to stay in a hotel and also pay for the up front deposit and rent on a place after that you should be ok.
The toruble is, they want written proof and evidencve for every god damn thing! Its a bit of a nightmare.
Thanks for that Flea. I was wondering about the accommodation issue. We'll send bank statements to show we have enough to cover hotel and rental accommodation while we're looking for a house to buy, just hope that's all they need. Thanks again!

Adelia