Split this forum?

Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:22 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Split this forum?

Although I have no plans to return to the UK at present, I do read this forum and find some interesting views and information. The vast majority of people posting seem to be from Oz and their issues are particular to that country.

Just wondered if it would make sense if it was a moving back to the UK from..... rather than general.

I know people complain about breaking forums down, but I don't relate to the OZ issues and would be interested in how people from my neck of the woods cope.
Just a point for discussion
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:24 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Split this forum?

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Although I have no plans to return to the UK at present, I do read this forum and find some interesting views and information. The vast majority of people posting seem to be from Oz and their issues are particular to that country.

Just wondered if it would make sense if it was a moving back to the UK from..... rather than general.

I know people complain about breaking forums down, but I don't relate to the OZ issues and would be interested in how people from my neck of the woods cope.
Just a point for discussion
site feedback maybe?
i have wondered the same too
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:31 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
site feedback maybe?
i have wondered the same too
Good point, I was gonna post there but just wondered what people here thought, they may not read that forum.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:38 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Good point, I was gonna post there but just wondered what people here thought, they may not read that forum.
there are some threads that are relevant to all regardless of where they are returning from, so it'd be hard to keep control of what should go where i reckon
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:43 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

there are some threads that are relevant to all regardless of where they are returning from, so it'd be hard to keep control of what should go where i reckon
But the one's about returning from Aus do tend to get more errr.... heated
Old Oct 5th 2006, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I think that as more people return from Oz the other returning forums wouldn't get many posters.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I think that as more people return from Oz the other returning forums wouldn't get many posters.
I agree. It's not a bad idea, but I just think a returning from the US forum would die out because there wouldn't be enough posters. This forum has been a lifeline to me over the last year and a half and I have always appreciated reading the experiences of those returning from Oz; as gedge said, some of it is relevant no matter what country you're returning from. Unfortunately there will always be problems on any forum; you just have to ignore some of it and not get dragged into the arguments.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Always21
I agree. It's not a bad idea, but I just think a returning from the US forum would die out because there wouldn't be enough posters. This forum has been a lifeline to me over the last year and a half and I have always appreciated reading the experiences of those returning from Oz; as gedge said, some of it is relevant no matter what country you're returning from. Unfortunately there will always be problems on any forum; you just have to ignore some of it and not get dragged into the arguments.
Why not a "returning from OZ" and a "Returning from other places" split, obviously worded better, but just an initial thought.

The thread I started "5 reasons why you want to return back to the UK" is predominantly used by disillusioned Oz returnees with very little input from people living in Spain, Canada, US etc

Graham
Old Oct 5th 2006, 8:00 am
I'm driving me nuts

The Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gray C
Why not a "returning from OZ" and a "Returning from other places" split, obviously worded better, but just an initial thought.

The thread I started "5 reasons why you want to return back to the UK" is predominantly used by disillusioned Oz returnees with very little input from people living in Spain, Canada, US etc

Graham
Maybe you could have titled it "5 reasons why you want to return back to the UK from Canada"

I also think that if you don't find it interesting regarding peoples experiences in returning from Oz etc. then don't read them. It may help if thread starters include where they are from in the title, or opening post and you can then ignore those.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Genie
Maybe you could have titled it "5 reasons why you want to return back to the UK from Canada"

I also think that if you don't find it interesting regarding peoples experiences in returning from Oz etc. then don't read them. It may help if thread starters include where they are from in the title, or opening post and you can then ignore those.
Contrary to your belief, I am interested in reading about people's life experiences in any country and do not want to, or intend to ignore posts from specific countries. Reading about people's immigration experiences, whether good or bad is worth reading, regardless of where they live.

The thread is about splitting the forum and my reply is in this context alone and nothing to do with not being interested in why people want to return back to the UK from Oz.

My point is that the majority of people posting on this forum are either immigrating to Oz, live in Oz, or want to return from Oz, and this is why the question of an alternative forum has been raised.

I am not Canada biased, far from it!
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:18 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Graham

Personally, I like the "Returning to the UK" name. It gives us all a bit of commonality. A lot of the discussions on here are about the UK, not just what's wrong with OZ, so I don't think it should be split by country. A lot of the discussions are also about homesickness and how to cope (or not as the case maybe) and that's something we can all suffer from, wherever we may be.
It really doesn't bother me that the majority of posters are in OZ, I still enjoy reading all the posts, and feel like we're all in this together.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 1:28 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Theres already too many sub forums to keep track of as it is.

I've a feeling far more Brits go to Australia than anywhere else, so its no surprise far more people return from Oz. But, from what I read here, many of the Oz issues are far from unique to Oz, its just general immigration shock, and the issues of actualy setting up again in the motherland are the same for everyone pretty much.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 5th 2006 at 1:32 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Even though there are more Oz moving back posters I still dont think there are enough moving back posters in general to create two threads. It would end up like some of the lesser used forums where the same questions are seen for months because there aren't enough people posting.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 2:01 pm
I'm driving me nuts

The Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud ofThe Genie has much to be proud of

Contrary to your belief, I am interested in reading about people's life experiences
It is not my befief and I don't care what you are interested in.

The thread is about splitting the forum
Great you read the title

I am not Canada biased, far from it!
Was just one of the options you gave, I quoted you.

I just offered an option to splitting forums. If you don't like it, say so, I don't get offended
Old Oct 5th 2006, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, surely the spirit of this forum should be "What i should expect upon returning to the UK....." rather than a bitch-fest about the specific country one moved to. There are a number of long-time far-removed from the UK returnees who genuinely don't know what the UK is like these days!!!

...hence it should be common to all returnees.

Originally Posted by iaink
I agree. Theres already too many sub forums to keep track of as it is.

I've a feeling far more Brits go to Australia than anywhere else, so its no surprise far more people return from Oz. But, from what I read here, many of the Oz issues are far from unique to Oz, its just general immigration shock, and the issues of actualy setting up again in the motherland are the same for everyone pretty much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.