Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Southerner move 'up north'?

Southerner move 'up north'?

Old May 14th 2012, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Southerner move 'up north'?

Hi all.

I have a interesting quandary...can a southerner settle well in the north of England?

I've always loved the gorgeous scenery of Yorkshire and the warmth of the people compared to the reserve of the south. I've heard some people saying that culturally it's too different to the south.

I think that after 20 years away that I could settle anywhere in the U.K as long as it's friendly and has employment prospects as well as affordable housing.

Has anyone had experience of this?
Old May 14th 2012, 12:18 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southerner move 'up north'?

I can't imagine it's all that different culturally is it?

I'm in the Harrogate/Knaresborough area and a lot of people here speak with southern accents, so I assume they successfully made the move. I'm sure they get teased sometimes, but my husband gets teased for being from Lancashire so that's just the way it goes. Yorkshire folk are very friendly as you said, and are happy to welcome anyone who's friendly to them.

I don't think there is a lovelier place to live anywhere than North Yorkshire, but then I am biased
Old May 14th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I'm thinking Sally as well. After all these years away I think I'll be happy just about anywhere.

For some reason my Dad (a Londoner) thinks it's too different from the the south. I'm not entirely sure what that means. I think it would actually be easier to make friends and put down roots in a place where people are more chatty and gregarious. Although I have heard stories of the dour Yorkshire type too.

I grew up watching 'All Creatures Great and Small' and fell in love with the area then, although I've never actually been there. I love the accent and the wide open spaces. I'm sure the weather wouldn't bother me either as I'm used to New England winters.
Old May 14th 2012, 1:30 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The weather's only a few degrees cooler - people make more of it than it actually is (as usual!)
Old May 14th 2012, 2:42 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

It's not all flat caps, ferrets and whippets you know. 'Up North' has some of the best scenery anywhere in the UK and some of the friendliest people. I have just this minute returned from 'The Jumbles' country park which is a short walk from where I live. Every person I walked past either said 'hello' or stopped to chat, and I passed many people. The area is stunningly beautiful especially on a day like today where the sky is blue, the sun is shining, its warm but not too warm to walk a few miles, and its green and lush. A myriad of birds were singing and all is well with the world. (Even though my hubby is still stuck in Canada and my kids are missing him immensely). If you want friendly people, wonderful hills and scenery, fabulous country pubs, fantastic coastline, easy access to great cities like Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle etc (for 'culture' ie theatre, music venues, eating out etc etc) then there is life outside of London and the South East its called 'The North'. Every area has its special parts, and after living in SW Ontario,Canada (albeit for less than a year) I can honestly say hand on heart there is no better place to be than the UK. I just really wish we would all shout it from the rooftops like the Canadians do about their country.
Sorry it was a bit of sermon! Just want to add I like the South as well!
Old May 14th 2012, 3:53 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Hi all.

I have a interesting quandary...can a southerner settle well in the north of England?

I've always loved the gorgeous scenery of Yorkshire and the warmth of the people compared to the reserve of the south. I've heard some people saying that culturally it's too different to the south.

I think that after 20 years away that I could settle anywhere in the U.K as long as it's friendly and has employment prospects as well as affordable housing.

I think that in general terms, people up North are possibly more friendly, but I also think more depends on how you are with people.

I come from the Midlands and have lived in the North West since '82 (although I have worked overseas since 2001). I used to believe the idea that Northerners were more open and friendly, but find that when I go back home to the Midlands, shopkeepers and people in general are friendly and talkative if you are with them.

To answer your original query, I think you will settle in fine if you take a positive outlook and are friendly yourself.

Yorkshire is a beautiful part of the world.
Old May 14th 2012, 4:03 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll be just fine in the North. My OH is from the south and I am taking him "up north" to Jockanese land. It has been our experience when travelling in the UK, and especially in Scotland, that there are many people from the south who have successfully moved up north and enjoy the lifestyle.
Old May 14th 2012, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm becoming more and more sold on it tbh. The real question is whether my Yank hubby and kids will fit in...

I'm a pretty friendly person and like to pass the time with people and I've become more like that since living in the states. I sometimes find the blank stares you get in London a bit off-putting.
Old May 14th 2012, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from 'up north' and I'm a lovely person

I find the cultural differences are more to do with the type of place you live in.

I moved here (US) to a very large city from a very small town, and I got a rather big shock.

Large city - busy roads, hardly seeing the same person twice so no hello's and chit chat. Kids to far away from other friends to play, driving lots. Busy busy busy all the time.

Small town - Bumping into the same people in town/shops, stop for chit chat. Kids close to everyone so out playing more. Generally more slower pace of life which I enjoy.
Old May 15th 2012, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm becoming more and more sold on it tbh. The real question is whether my Yank hubby and kids will fit in...

I'm a pretty friendly person and like to pass the time with people and I've become more like that since living in the states. I sometimes find the blank stares you get in London a bit off-putting.
You should read Bill Bryson, he is a yank and lived in North Yorkshire for YEARS, he lived near Harrogate and often goes back to Yorkshire.

People in Yorkshire can be like the Aussies in many ways, you just have to tune in to it and not take it personally or be over sensitive.
Old May 15th 2012, 7:21 am
Finally Home!

My husband's family is from Lancashire (Manchester area) and they have all commented on the friendliness of the people here in North Yorkshire. I also have a friend who came down to visit me from Aberdeen and after spending the day with me around town she said "I'd forgotten how friendly people are in Yorkshire." I must admit I had forgotten too after being away 22 years. But since we've been back, I have chatted to all kinds of people - I know my neighbors here in this holiday let better than the ones I lived next to for 13 years in the New York suburbs!

I think you will love it here as long as you choose the area wisely.
Old May 15th 2012, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

I am very lucky as I am a short drive to three other Counties (beside Derbyshire where we are currently renting) Yorkshire, Cheshire and Lancashire.....and all have wonderful scenery.....I am originally from the North West and I have a soft spot for there, we have family and friends in a lot of counties and visit quite often and I still think "The North" (especially the North West lol) has a lot more to offer than people think. Since our return to the UK I have noticed far more Southerners than ever before living and working here in North West, quite a few in the area where we currently live and all love it (and I did not have their arms up their backs while asking lol) in all honesty if you want to try a new area then do so, what have you got to loose? there are some wonderful even fantastic places to live in the U.K its the same rule of thumb really the world over, you choose your area that suits you and how you are with people. Good luck (let your Dad know we even have the Wheel up in the North lol...oh and the Greatest Football Team in the Premier League this season!)
Old May 15th 2012, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gillyd65
It's not all flat caps, ferrets and whippets you know. 'Up North' has some of the best scenery anywhere in the UK and some of the friendliest people. I have just this minute returned from 'The Jumbles' country park which is a short walk from where I live. Every person I walked past either said 'hello' or stopped to chat, and I passed many people. The area is stunningly beautiful especially on a day like today where the sky is blue, the sun is shining, its warm but not too warm to walk a few miles, and its green and lush. A myriad of birds were singing and all is well with the world. (Even though my hubby is still stuck in Canada and my kids are missing him immensely). If you want friendly people, wonderful hills and scenery, fabulous country pubs, fantastic coastline, easy access to great cities like Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle etc (for 'culture' ie theatre, music venues, eating out etc etc) then there is life outside of London and the South East its called 'The North'. Every area has its special parts, and after living in SW Ontario,Canada (albeit for less than a year) I can honestly say hand on heart there is no better place to be than the UK. I just really wish we would all shout it from the rooftops like the Canadians do about their country.
Sorry it was a bit of sermon! Just want to add I like the South as well!
I could of wrote this myself (although we were in West Aus, you don't work for the tourist board do you!!!!! if not you should
Old May 15th 2012, 8:37 am
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brits1
I could of wrote this myself (although we were in West Aus, you don't work for the tourist board do you!!!!! if not you should
TBH Brits1 I have seriously considered writing to big Dave and his sidekick Nick about our experience of living abroad (albeit a very short time compared to most people) and how Canada and Australia (friends have just returned from Adelaide after two years) 'big' themselves up. Why can't Britain do the same. Canada has just as many problems as the UK but hides them, they're not splashed across the newspapers like they are in the UK. Scratch the surface and its all there. The UK wears its problems on its sleeves for everyone to see. I suppose the 'newer' countries need to attract immigrants to keep going, so have to promote it as Xanadu.
Probably need to get a campaign going from all the expat returnees to extol the virtues of the UK. Do like other countries do, concentrate on the positive rather than the negative.
Old May 15th 2012, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gillyd65
TBH Brits1 I have seriously considered writing to big Dave and his sidekick Nick about our experience of living abroad (albeit a very short time compared to most people) and how Canada and Australia (friends have just returned from Adelaide after two years) 'big' themselves up. Why can't Britain do the same. Canada has just as many problems as the UK but hides them, they're not splashed across the newspapers like they are in the UK. Scratch the surface and its all there. The UK wears its problems on its sleeves for everyone to see. I suppose the 'newer' countries need to attract immigrants to keep going, so have to promote it as Xanadu.
Probably need to get a campaign going from all the expat returnees to extol the virtues of the UK. Do like other countries do, concentrate on the positive rather than the negative.
Okay you have my Vote, next election. I had the same feeling with Australia...we can all paint the same kind of image of "A wonderful life where nothing bad happens" in some ways all that positive thinking is great and yes we should adapt a more prouder approach here in the U.K we really do have lots to offer if not more, its the same in Germany and my very close German friends says "there are bad things here to, we just cover it all up for the outside world and for Germans daft enough to believe in propaganda" and that is what it really is about, good old fashioned propaganda...I would not like to live in that kind of world again but our press etc need to be more positive and as I said there are a lot more positives out there that is not being reported.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.