South-West England

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:41 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default South-West England

Im heading back to the UK soon and thinking about going to Bournemouth (I've got some family near there). What is it like living there?

Southhampton, Poole are also on my radar - but i'm concerned that the cost of living might be to high.

Is it a vibrant job market?

My other choice is London (lots of work, but well expensive).

Manchester.

Bristol? Anyone recommend Bristol?

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:27 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South-West England

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Im heading back to the UK soon and thinking about going to Bournemouth (I've got some family near there). What is it like living there?

Southhampton, Poole are also on my radar - but i'm concerned that the cost of living might be to high.

Manchester.

My thoughts...
Bournemouth - great town to live. Pluses - beautiful clean, sandy beaches. Plenty of nightlife, clubs, restaurants, great climate in comparison to other parts of UK. Great shopping. Some good schools (some crap like most other places). Downside - house prices high in comparison to relatively low wages, very busy in summer.

Poole - tends to be more polarised than Bournemouth i.e either very nice areas with very expensive housing or less desirable areas with a bad reputation, there are some middle of the road bits but fewer than Bournemouth - also v. busy in summer.

Southampton - generally cheaper housing than B'mth and Poole but in my opinion no where near as nice - much more industrial. Love West Quay shopping centre though.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

London to live n work is a love it or hate it place.
Be a HUGE change from NZ wherever you are.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:35 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

The south west is a great place to live BUT most areas suffer badly with high house prices compared to wages.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:46 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
London to live n work is a love it or hate it place.
Be a HUGE change from NZ wherever you are.
Im preparing myself for culture shock. Im having some major wobbles now the date is getting closer.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Im preparing myself for culture shock. Im having some major wobbles now the date is getting closer.
I know the feeling well, its pantsville central isnt it.
Ive got no pans left to cook with, everythings boxed up, books n itunes n computer for company (oh & vino).
Its not the most fun time I agree. The closer I get to leaving the more I see all I love here.
Its just part of the proces, bloody hope so '
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:00 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Manchester.

I hate UK But !!!! If i had to stay for whatever reason and could choose then the South west would be the way i would go ..

My memories of Bournemouth is years old now , but i liked it there if that helps at all .. regarding jobs and stuff havent got a clue sorry ..
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Manchester.

there are some very dodgy areas of Bristol like any city however i would recommend the Clifton area which is a much nicer part of town. Cheddar (near Cheddar Gorge) is very pretty and only about 35mins from Bristol city centre...i lived there for a couple of yrs in another lifetime
Old Jul 24th 2007, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of

I'm also in the process of moving back to the UK after having left there 25 years ago. I'm originally from Northern Ireland but we are going to stay in the UK. I have a friend who lives just outside Bristol, heading towards the coast (Weston Super Mare) hence why we are going to move to that area and I've heard nothing but good reports. Regarding the jobs, well I can only wait and see when I get there.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:12 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
there are some very dodgy areas of Bristol like any city however i would recommend the Clifton area which is a much nicer part of town. Cheddar (near Cheddar Gorge) is very pretty and only about 35mins from Bristol city centre...i lived there for a couple of yrs in another lifetime
Hi, Clifton is a great part of Bristol but you need really deep pockets to live there..............this story was in yesterdays Bristol Evening Post

NO GARDEN, NO KITCHEN, THE CEILINGS ARE FALLING IN - YOURS FOR £470,000
Be the first reader to comment on this story

10:40 - 21 July 2007

Mouldy walls, collapsing ceilings and no kitchen - but this derelict house in Clifton could soon be sold for almost half a million pounds.

The property in Harley Mews is being sold at an asking price of £470,000 - despite being untouched by the former owner for 40 years.

A spokesman for agents Savills said an offer had already been put in for the three-storey home and last night the property had a "sold" sign outside.

Currently the average house price in Bristol is £195,385, and £352,495 for a detached home. But in Clifton the average is much higher and houses near to the Harley Mews property have sold for up to £850,000 in recent years, according to the Post's house price website, thisishouseprices.co.uk

It is estimated that a developer would need to spend up to £150,000 to refurbish the house and could then sell it for about £650,000, netting a profit of at least £30,000.

The property's boasts four bedrooms, three reception rooms, a kitchen/dining room, bathroom and garage.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:14 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Donna Allan
I'm also in the process of moving back to the UK after having left there 25 years ago. I'm originally from Northern Ireland but we are going to stay in the UK. I have a friend who lives just outside Bristol, heading towards the coast (Weston Super Mare) hence why we are going to move to that area and I've heard nothing but good reports. Regarding the jobs, well I can only wait and see when I get there.
Hi Donna, I've been to Bristol once and it looked pretty nice to me. Only there for a day, though. Why are you leaving CT? Usual story, crime?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Hi, Clifton is a great part of Bristol but you need really deep pockets to live there..............this story was in yesterdays Bristol Evening Post

NO GARDEN, NO KITCHEN, THE CEILINGS ARE FALLING IN - YOURS FOR £470,000
Be the first reader to comment on this story

10:40 - 21 July 2007

Mouldy walls, collapsing ceilings and no kitchen - but this derelict house in Clifton could soon be sold for almost half a million pounds.

The property in Harley Mews is being sold at an asking price of £470,000 - despite being untouched by the former owner for 40 years.

A spokesman for agents Savills said an offer had already been put in for the three-storey home and last night the property had a "sold" sign outside.

Currently the average house price in Bristol is £195,385, and £352,495 for a detached home. But in Clifton the average is much higher and houses near to the Harley Mews property have sold for up to £850,000 in recent years, according to the Post's house price website, thisishouseprices.co.uk

It is estimated that a developer would need to spend up to £150,000 to refurbish the house and could then sell it for about £650,000, netting a profit of at least £30,000.

The property's boasts four bedrooms, three reception rooms, a kitchen/dining room, bathroom and garage.
When I read this sorta thing im tempted to rip up my plane ticket...
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:31 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

When I read this sorta thing im tempted to rip up my plane ticket...
That might be a bit extreme!!
Bristol is a nice place to live but as with anywhere, has a fair few undesirable areas.........I know, I used to live in one (undesirable area )

www.thisisbristol.co.uk is a useful site linked to the Bristol Evening post which had loads of properties/jobs etc

Last edited by bananahammock; Jul 24th 2007 at 8:41 am.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Bmth and Poole, cac places in both, nice places in both, average places in both are still more expensive than rural areas. They are busy towns, traffic queues, so many grockles in summer make it difficult for the residents to actually get to the beach and park! (cheap at £6 for up to 4 hours...). Lots going on in the whole of Dorset. Work wise you would probably get work in either town fairly quickly, dependant on what you do.
Bristol, rough areas full of Yardies, lovely areas way too expensive. Not sure about middle of the road ones.
Southampton..Hmm.Quick access to Isle of Wight. Busy.
Would prefer Exeter over Soton or Bristol myself.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:14 am
Banned

Originally Posted by seasprite
Bmth and Poole, cac places in both, nice places in both, average places in both are still more expensive than rural areas. They are busy towns, traffic queues, so many grockles in summer make it difficult for the residents to actually get to the beach and park! (cheap at £6 for up to 4 hours...). Lots going on in the whole of Dorset. Work wise you would probably get work in either town fairly quickly, dependant on what you do.
Bristol, rough areas full of Yardies, lovely areas way too expensive. Not sure about middle of the road ones.
Southampton..Hmm.Quick access to Isle of Wight. Busy.
Would prefer Exeter over Soton or Bristol myself.
where does rick stein live? I love dorset but dunno if much it work there? Maybe I could retrain as a fish cook.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.