Some taxing questions

Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:29 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some taxing questions

Originally Posted by Mr Itchy
From what I came across on the UK pension site the 'free' forecast is only for those that 'live' in the UK.The site displays a phone number and postal address.
I guess this company is charging for doing something that someone here cannot do for free, ie..obtaining that information for a client overseas.
I may get my parents in the UK to pass-on my letter for a forecast to the pension department then my parents could send me the 'free' forecast.

Mr Itchy
It's a bit like Hotel California isn't it? You can check out anytime you want, you just can't leave.

Sorry, I think it's my age. I can't take anything seriously these days. I'm going home in a few weeks and I just can't quite believe it. So......I just think that as long as I wake up in the mornings, I might as well really go all out to enjoy the day especially after what Nostro said. I reckon after the rubbish my husband has been through in the last few weeks trying to get paid out from any insurance fund he's paid into, we all need to be prepared for anything and everything. Like working till we're 90. After all, who else is going to keep life's no hopers in free funds.
I make no apology for my cynical wit.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:40 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I cannot see anything on that site which suggests there is a legal way for Australian citizens and permanent residents to withdraw or transfer superannuation.
How does it feel to be a part of the criminal fraternity Tracey??
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Mr Itchy is an unknown quantity at this point

I know what you mean about taking things too seriously.Found out recently that my investment of olive groves is now worth a big fat $000.000.Long story, but $40k has gone down the drain.
In my next life I'll be a bit wiser.

Mr Itchy
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:30 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean about taking things too seriously.Found out recently that my investment of olive groves is now worth a big fat $000.000.Long story, but $40k has gone down the drain.
In my next life I'll be a bit wiser.

Mr Itchy
Oh no! You mean all that info on the benefits of olive leaf extract wasn't real?

Seriously............buy a book written by Donald Trump and Robert T Kiyosaki titled WHY WE WANT YOU TO BE RICH.
It's not really about being rich, it's more about how NOT to listen to the financial brain boxes out there getting paid to sell you finance and then watching you lose it on the back of bad advice.

I"ve always been in property. That's the way to go. Or produce a product that is in demand. That's the best insurance policy. My super has gone belly up, I never paid into income protection (being self enmployed) and i'm being really good and staying super fit because I believe I'd only get crap if I became ill and had to rely on my critical illness policy.
Seriously, I think if you now hide money under your mattress, you'll be fine.
Oh and something else. Debt is good if you gives you leverage to earn more more money but that's the only reason debt is useful.

You can't lose by reading or learning by those who did and who can because they can.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:30 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

From what I came across on the UK pension site the 'free' forecast is only for those that 'live' in the UK.The site displays a phone number and postal address.
I guess this company is charging for doing something that someone here cannot do for free, ie..obtaining that information for a client overseas.
I may get my parents in the UK to pass-on my letter for a forecast to the pension department then my parents could send me the 'free' forecast.

Mr Itchy
I believe the difference is that only UK residents can ask for a pension forecast online. I think non-residents can apply by mail.

[OK, looks like this has changed: http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/...cast/home.asp]
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
How does it feel to be a part of the criminal fraternity Tracey??
Bloody great Flea!!!

Honestly, there's just no pleasing some folk is there? Sheesh...
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Honestly, there's just no pleasing some folk is there?
There is still no evidence that it is legally permitted.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that, dunroving.Have printed the form that I'll then post to them.
They say on the form that they'll let you know how to improve your pension by making additional National Insurance payments.Just what I needed.

Mr Itchy
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is still no evidence that it is legally permitted.
Well, they're obviously trading as my husband went to see them. They were extremely professional and gave a great service. if they were committing a crime, surely someone would've closed them down by now?

oooooh ....whatever . Just to anyone in Perth, I stand by my original answer, we did it, it is possible to move your pension and you've got the company's details. You call them. You make the choices.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Received a call from Suparannuation Recall Consultants.I was told that I would be able to put my super into a DIY managed fund and leave the country with it.I would then have to return every 2 years to transfer the money back again for it to be legal.He did say that the legistlation has changed over the years.

TraceyW.You said in your last comment that it is possible to "move your pension".Was it a pension that you moved or super?.

Mr Itchy
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Received a call from Suparannuation Recall Consultants. I was told that I would be able to put my super into a DIY managed fund and leave the country with it. I would then have to return every 2 years to transfer the money back again for it to be legal.
And this does not strike you as just a teensy weensy bit dodgy???

Also (ignoring the legality aspect for a moment): you'd lose a huge amount of money in admin and transfer charges.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Sure does sound dodgy.Even if it was legal, I wouldn't want to be committed to returning every two years.Looks like the super will be staying where it is.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
And this does not strike you as just a teensy weensy bit dodgy???

Also (ignoring the legality aspect for a moment): you'd lose a huge amount of money in admin and transfer charges.

There are ways around it.

But you do as you wish.

Last edited by TraceyW; Jun 16th 2009 at 4:11 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:25 pm
Banned

It's probably safe to assume that as a result of the huge global financial losses recently, new laws will close all loopholes and all institutions will be hanging onto money invested.

Insurance companies are told to make it as difficult as possible for people making a claim. If 100 people claim and get fed a line, the insurance hope that at least 25% of claimants will accept what they've been told and drop their claim.
They carry on giving us obstacles and making life difficult so another 25% drop their claim believing what they've been told.
Then maybe another 15% give up and walk away.
In the end insurance companies probably get away with paying approx 35% of original claimants.

You have to stay in the fight till the end to get it through.

With your super Mr Itchy, and I am not professing to be an 'expert', it probably is more beneficial to leave it where it is for now. The Oz dollar is doing OK so you've nothing to lose by leaving it invested.