Wikiposts

Some taxing questions

Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:08 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some taxing questions

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
You wrote: "Might be a good idea to contact the immigration office and see where you are with your visa or residency status. If you haven't renewed your permanent residency and your not an Oz citizen"
The OP has dual nationality: UK and Australian. Read their first post.

I have posted the current rules.

As JAJ said, fund manager do make mistakes. That does not negate what the rules say.
I'm not arguing. But given the current economic climate, the goalposts are moving all the time. Maybe in a years time, things will have changed. Maybe none of us will have a super. Therefore my point was, keep checking but have a back up plan in the meantime.
I'm sorry I stepped on your toes. I will go and stand in a corner and slap myself silly 100 times. Enjoy your number crunching day.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Mr Itchy is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta for all the replies.
From my 'googling' today I can see that the ones who can take their super out of the country are non OZ or NZ citizens.I'm an OZ citizen.
The reason they give for not allowing the citizens to take it is that they have the opportunity to retire here.

Cheers

Mr Itchy
Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:03 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Itchy
Ta for all the replies.
From my 'googling' today I can see that the ones who can take their super out of the country are non OZ or NZ citizens.I'm an OZ citizen.
The reason they give for not allowing the citizens to take it is that they have the opportunity to retire here.

Cheers

Mr Itchy
Good luck Mr Itchy. I'm not an Oz citizen.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 1:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks, cricket1again.

I know what you mean with 'super' rules changing all the time.I read that the government are thinking of raising the preservation age for super, up from 55. Hope they don't.And with pensions theres lots of 'if's' & 'but's'.

Thanks again

Mr Itchy
Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:34 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
I am not aware of any way for Australian citizens and permanent residents to withdraw their superannuation.

Perhaps if someone comes on forum and tells us how to.
You can remove your super....my husband did it through a company in Perth. There are ways around it. We did it and we are Australian Citizens.

If anyone wants the Perth company details PM me and I will gladly give you their details.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:44 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
I am not aware of any way for Australian citizens and permanent residents to withdraw their superannuation.

Perhaps if someone comes on forum and tells us how to.
Here you go....save people PM'ing me and me replying individually. Trouble is I seem to remember B.E not allowing company contact details to be published on their site. Oh well...sorry folks if I am doing the wrong thing....

Here's the details: Company is called Superannuation Recall Consultants
E-mail address is www.superannuationrecall.com.au
phone number is (08) 9206 3044
Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:50 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Here you go....save people PM'ing me and me replying individually. Trouble is I seem to remember B.E not allowing company contact details to be published on their site. Oh well...sorry folks if I am doing the wrong thing....

Thank god you turned up!

Getting tired of smartarses on here
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:03 am
Banned

Thanks, cricket1again.

I know what you mean with 'super' rules changing all the time.I read that the government are thinking of raising the preservation age for super, up from 55. Hope they don't.And with pensions theres lots of 'if's' & 'but's'.

Thanks again

Mr Itchy

That's what I'm saying. Don't rely on it. Retirement age will probably have to increase because of what's happened to the global economy.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry. Nostradamus reckons we'll all be sitting on fluffly white cloud in 2012 in which case we won't need our supers. Might as well go and increase our credit card limits and go and have some fun!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks TraceyW
Have sent an enquiry email to the company.Unlike cricket1again, I'm not hanging around to see if Nostradamus got it right or wrong.
I'll post here after they get in touch so we know the score.

Mr Itchy
Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:30 pm
Banned

Thanks TraceyW
Have sent an enquiry email to the company.Unlike cricket1again, I'm not hanging around to see if Nostradamus got it right or wrong.
I'll post here after they get in touch so we know the score.

Mr Itchy
I'm operating from a 'keep all options open' frame of mind. Just in case.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 1:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I cannot see anything on that site which suggests there is a legal way for Australian citizens and permanent residents to withdraw or transfer superannuation.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly right. If they allowed Oz citizens to take out their super, they might "blow it" , then come back to Oz and the state would have to give them the means-tested age pension ....

"They" obviously want to avoid that - which is why you can't take it out, until you reach preservation age, suffer hardship or a deadly disease.

However, leaving your super here is not necessarily a bad thing: You still get your lump sum and income stream. It's just that you'll be exposed to the vagaries of the exchange rate if you draw your income stream from Oz.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 2:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
That's exactly right. If they allowed Oz citizens to take out their super, they might "blow it" , then come back to Oz and the state would have to give them the means-tested age pension ....

"They" obviously want to avoid that - which is why you can't take it out, until you reach preservation age, suffer hardship or a deadly disease.

However, leaving your super here is not necessarily a bad thing: You still get your lump sum and income stream. It's just that you'll be exposed to the vagaries of the exchange rate if you draw your income stream from Oz.
I think I agreed that leaving your super in Oz was the smart thing to do.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I cannot see anything on that site which suggests there is a legal way for Australian citizens and permanent residents to withdraw or transfer superannuation.
No legal way ... But having looked at their website, this mob doesn't come across as an ethical company.

They offer would-be customers that they can - for a fee obtain a UK Pension forecast for them. Failing to mention that getting such a forecast is a completely free service ...
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

From what I came across on the UK pension site the 'free' forecast is only for those that 'live' in the UK.The site displays a phone number and postal address.
I guess this company is charging for doing something that someone here cannot do for free, ie..obtaining that information for a client overseas.
I may get my parents in the UK to pass-on my letter for a forecast to the pension department then my parents could send me the 'free' forecast.

Mr Itchy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.