Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Social Care Nursing Home for Older Immigrants

Social Care Nursing Home for Older Immigrants

Old Oct 21st 2023, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

NicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the rough
Default Social Care Nursing Home for Older Immigrants

Hi All,
I am hoping to move back to the UK and bring my soon-to-be-spouse with me. He is quite a bit older than me and is unlikely to be working in the UK. I am concerned that he may eventually need home visits and/or nursing home care. Will he be entitled to this kind of care? Does anyone know or can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find answers on this? Are there immigration advisors who can help with answering these kinds of questions? I am wondering, too, whether entitlement to this kind of care has anything to do with the route towards getting the right to stay indefinitely.
Thanks much to all.
Nick

Old Oct 21st 2023, 12:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Care Nursing Home for Older Immigrants

You’ve said previously that you’ll be sponsoring him with rental income from the US, savings and a job? So I’m guessing he won’t qualify for any kind of financial assistance due to the US property and saving, and any care or care home would need to be paid for.

But you can look in to it further here -
https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information...r-a-care-home/

https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/fa...-how-they-work

HTH.
Old Oct 21st 2023, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

NicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the roughNicolaNick is a jewel in the rough

Thank you so much. You are so very kind to offer this assistance. You are correct in terms of how I will sponsor him. I think then my question is that as someone who will be pursuing indefinite leave to remain is this: Will he be treated any differently than a UK citizen would be? That would be my question. Do you have any idea? Also, are these the kinds of questions you can get answers on from an immigration advisor? THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES OVER!
Old Oct 24th 2023, 1:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicolaNick
...I think then my question is that as someone who will be pursuing indefinite leave to remain is this: Will he be treated any differently than a UK citizen would be? That would be my question.
Once that status is granted the rights would be the same as a UK citizen.

Citizen's Advice Bureau is a good starting point

Old Oct 25th 2023, 1:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicolaNick
Thank you so much. You are so very kind to offer this assistance. You are correct in terms of how I will sponsor him. I think then my question is that as someone who will be pursuing indefinite leave to remain is this: Will he be treated any differently than a UK citizen would be? That would be my question. Do you have any idea? Also, are these the kinds of questions you can get answers on from an immigration advisor? THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES OVER!
Treated no differently, a British citizen wouldn't usually qualify for financial assistance with care if they owned a property abroad and/or had a certain amount of savings either.

And no, an immigration advisor won't help with this, they just do the visa side of things. Citizens Advice may be a good place to go for advice on care assistance as said above, or just the government websites (I think one has a calculator for you to see if you'd qualify for any help).

Good luck.
Old Oct 26th 2023, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Ukoneday is an unknown quantity at this point

How old is your spouse currently? Over 68?
how long have you been in the US/cohabiting?

Be careful about expat taxes and leaving assets in the US. Passive income, including pensions and rental income, is double taxed unless you pay a one off annual fee, which is only possible for 7 years. In addition, capital gains is brutal as a USC/PR if you live overseas. I imagine you already know all this, but just in case you don’t.

Old Mar 3rd 2024, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Dear UKoneday and christmasoompa,
I only just saw these replies, which have really given me food for thought. My mum passed as I was asking these questions. Hence, the incredibly tardy thanks!
Thank you!
Nick