Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

So why do Brits (and their US spouses) return to the UK?

Wikiposts

So why do Brits (and their US spouses) return to the UK?

Old Jun 11th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So why do Brits (and their US spouses) return to the UK?

Pubs!
Old Jun 20th 2009, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Reasons to move to UK from Australia (in no particular order and by no means a comprehensive list)
  • Climate (Wouldnt it be nice to have 4 seasons? and NOT be trapped indoors in aircon whenever the sun comes out?)
  • Family (MINE instead of hers )
  • Improved career prospects (Australian IT industry? Its a joke )
  • Cost of Living (Unbelievably the UK is now cheaper to live in than Australia)
  • Better work conditions (No more 60hr week, and more than likely more than a paultry 20day annual leave)
  • More academically focused schooling for kids (although arguably not as healthy)
  • Public health system that DOESNT charge you money (Yes Australia has public health - but it'll still cost a fortune if you ever need to use any medical services)
  • Proper Media - Australian TV/Radio/Newpapers are enough to drive any sane person to the wall.
  • Greater variety of affordable holiday destinations (Australia may be a good place to holiday, but it costs a LOT to get somewhere other than beach or bush)
  • Better roads/drivers (ok thats debateable!)

I'm sure given time I could make a longer and better list - but that gives you a flavour....
i have to agree with most of this! Australia has crap media which still sees progs like the brainless Footy Show on air. And why does all the advertising have to be so Australia-obsessed? Radio is pathetic and characterless. Lack of culture, sport sport sport.
I miss my family, but just as much i miss UK and its people in general.
I'd add that Sydney feels very isolated and that i cant stand feeling trapped.
I also miss the pubs and the casual jokes that fly around your local ..
I miss the english irony and clever media. I miss my mates ...maybe juts a handfull over there now, but faithful to the end!
I will maybe miss the freedom of nice weather over here...and the sea (warm, accessible). But i wont miss the culture.

Last edited by wombatboy; Jun 20th 2009 at 10:35 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:50 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Just swooped in to say 'Hi Becca!!!'
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I actually returned following our divorce with our 2 children back to the UK almost 5 years ago. Am now planning a return back to the US ( CA) but have said that we shall give it a go for a year and if none of us are happy then we shall return and settle back here in the UK. Possible reasons I forsee are healthcare, annual leave and the question of weather or not my kids are able to adapt to the school system there. If we do come back it will be right before my daughter is due to go into secondary school but at least my kids will have had the chance to experience life in the US as they came to the UK when they were only 3 and 5.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 10:10 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Just swooped in to say 'Hi Becca!!!'
Hey! It's an invasion!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 1:46 am
Just Joined

ForzaItalia21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sunday lunches
Sense of fair play (although in shorter supply these days)
Government hand-outs
Pubs (esp. real ale)
Decent footy
Green and pleasant land (beautiful villages in particular)
Fish and Chips
English cakes and puddings
History (famous places)
Sense of humour
Easy to get to the European mainland

I am starting to struggle now, can somebody give me a hand?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I think there are swings and roundabouts. The amount of vacation time as a negative springs to mind and the need for a decent job to get health insurance is another.