Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

So why do Brits (and their US spouses) return to the UK?

So why do Brits (and their US spouses) return to the UK?

Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:32 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default So why do Brits (and their US spouses) return to the UK?

Any thoughts?

*yes I know I lurk too much*
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So why do Brits (and their US spouses) return to the UK?

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Any thoughts?

Think you would be better served to have this in the Returning to the UK forum. A look at the many posts there should answer your question nicely. I'm transferring your post to that forum.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:37 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Put it where I did because of the "Why do Brits return from Oz" but I'll just go with the flow.....
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:51 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Any thoughts?
We moved back because my American husband wanted to live in the UK. Who was I to argue?!
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:54 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
We moved back because my American husband wanted to live in the UK. Who was I to argue?!
Sounds simple enough.

I'm wondering if it ever just becomes an issue of life in the US being too much of a rat race. Like having health cover tied to our jobs, etc.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 3:05 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds simple enough.

I'm wondering if it ever just becomes an issue of life in the US being too much of a rat race. Like having health cover tied to our jobs, etc.
Of course. He'd been a gov. employee for 20+ years and had basically had enough of an unfulfilling job but you can't just jack it all in over there and do what you like with the worry of not having health insurance, (especially with a young kid in the mix).

So, here we are - I work full time and he stays at home with my youngest - it's a complete 180 of our previous roles but that's ok.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 3:17 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Of course. He'd been a gov. employee for 20+ years and had basically had enough of an unfulfilling job but you can't just jack it all in over there and do what you like with the worry of not having health insurance, (especially with a young kid in the mix).

So, here we are - I work full time and he stays at home with my youngest - it's a complete 180 of our previous roles but that's ok.
I guess when you know - you just - know.......
Old Jun 7th 2009, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back because my British husband did not settle well at all in the US. We had always planned on eventually moving to the UK but when my job became redundant when the company I worked for was sold and I received a year's salary as a redundancy....we took the leap and moved. Sold up everything and moved here to the UK where we still had a house.

And yes, the rat race life style in the US was a consideration. Here in the UK we don't have to worry about health insurance and financially we are better off. So much so that with careful planning we both plan on retiring in the next year or so.

As an American, I have settled well in the UK. Much better than my DH did in the US.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Any thoughts?

returning to UK with Cnd spouse this summer. why? more familiness in UK(money can't buy that in Canada).
Old Jun 7th 2009, 4:02 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by dewdrop
returning to UK with Cnd spouse this summer. why? more familiness in UK(money can't buy that in Canada).
We actually have more family here in the US. In fact that's the only reason he settled here in the first place. I would have happily gone there originally were it not for my then young son (now 20 and in college).

I also have aging parents whom I would feel guilty as hell over dumping the entire responsibility on my only sibling, my sister.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 5:46 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

We actually have more family here in the US. In fact that's the only reason he settled here in the first place. I would have happily gone there originally were it not for my then young son (now 20 and in college).

I also have aging parents whom I would feel guilty as hell over dumping the entire responsibility on my only sibling, my sister.
Always a complication. One thing to consider is how often we see family as things are, and how easy it would be to see them as often from the UK.

For example, if we see our parents twice a year and can afford to fly back to see them twice a year (or, of course, in an emergency) it makes little practical difference. If we're in and out, it's huge.

Our sons are in Ontario, which is not much closer from here than from the UK. Because of the distance and their work commitments etc, we usually only see them once a year. It won't be much different. Except that they see the idea of visiting us in the UK or somewhere in Europe more exciting than coming back to the same old.

Bev
Old Jun 7th 2009, 6:50 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by Bevm
Always a complication. One thing to consider is how often we see family as things are, and how easy it would be to see them as often from the UK.

For example, if we see our parents twice a year and can afford to fly back to see them twice a year (or, of course, in an emergency) it makes little practical difference. If we're in and out, it's huge.

Our sons are in Ontario, which is not much closer from here than from the UK. Because of the distance and their work commitments etc, we usually only see them once a year. It won't be much different. Except that they see the idea of visiting us in the UK or somewhere in Europe more exciting than coming back to the same old.

Bev
I keep thinking it would be easier to move before I know any grandchildren I may have in the future. And TBH - staying around to take care of the parents seems more like personal stupidity than a responsible decision.

Last edited by rebeccajo; Jun 7th 2009 at 7:07 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 5:09 am
meonline

meonline is an unknown quantity at this point

Any thoughts?

Put simply, Britain looks after it's people. There is a safety net that is not present in other countries. You do feel as if you belong here. People can express themselves freely without being persecuted, security in law and order, more relaxed working culture, you can relate to people, abundant greenery and has a stable government and political system (although in chaos at the moment).
Old Jun 11th 2009, 10:00 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meonline
Put simply, Britain looks after it's people. There is a safety net that is not present in other countries.

as you get older that can be come a very real issue depending on where you sit on the social/economic ladder
Old Jun 11th 2009, 10:20 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Reasons to move to UK from Australia (in no particular order and by no means a comprehensive list)
  • Climate (Wouldnt it be nice to have 4 seasons? and NOT be trapped indoors in aircon whenever the sun comes out?)
  • Family (MINE instead of hers )
  • Improved career prospects (Australian IT industry? Its a joke )
  • Cost of Living (Unbelievably the UK is now cheaper to live in than Australia)
  • Better work conditions (No more 60hr week, and more than likely more than a paultry 20day annual leave)
  • More academically focused schooling for kids (although arguably not as healthy)
  • Public health system that DOESNT charge you money (Yes Australia has public health - but it'll still cost a fortune if you ever need to use any medical services)
  • Proper Media - Australian TV/Radio/Newpapers are enough to drive any sane person to the wall.
  • Greater variety of affordable holiday destinations (Australia may be a good place to holiday, but it costs a LOT to get somewhere other than beach or bush)
  • Better roads/drivers (ok thats debateable!)

I'm sure given time I could make a longer and better list - but that gives you a flavour....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.