Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

So many questions about moving back to the UK!

So many questions about moving back to the UK!

Old Mar 9th 2016, 7:08 am
Just Joined

MarkBM is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile So many questions about moving back to the UK!

Hello everyone I'm brand new to the forum and if you could help me clear up any of my many queries I'd be very grateful.

My Family Background:
I am an englishman born and bred in England where I met an italian lady. We married in England in 2004 before moving out here to Italy. We have two boys born here in Italy (2006 and 2009). I have a UK passport but am resident here in Italy. I am still British and have never asked for Italian citizenship. My wife and children are Italian and hold only an Italian passport

Moving back to the UK:
It is likely that at the end of this summer (2016) I will no longer have work here in Italy and I am very interested in bringing my family to live in the UK.

My General Queries:-
What steps do you recommend that I undertake to prepare this move back to the UK? Obviously I want to work instantly upon return so do all my old details like NI Number still apply? Will I need to warn the UK in advance that I am returning to become a UK resident again? I will probably return on my own to find work before moving the family back across but I'll need to organise schools and ensure they are covered medically in case of sickness. I read that my children can have a UK passport and that they are British by descent. Does holding a passport mean they are British citizens? Do I need to register them with an embassy or central register before asking for a passport? Does my wife have any rights to a UK passport considering we've been married 12 years?

I think that's enough questions for now. Sorry to throw them all together but they are somewhat interlinked. Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to hearing your replies.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 7:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So many questions about moving back to the UK!

Originally Posted by MarkBM
Hello everyone I'm brand new to the forum and if you could help me clear up any of my many queries I'd be very grateful.

My Family Background:
I am an englishman born and bred in England where I met an italian lady. We married in England in 2004 before moving out here to Italy. We have two boys born here in Italy (2006 and 2009). I have a UK passport but am resident here in Italy. I am still British and have never asked for Italian citizenship. My wife and children are Italian and hold only an Italian passport

Moving back to the UK:
It is likely that at the end of this summer (2016) I will no longer have work here in Italy and I am very interested in bringing my family to live in the UK.

My General Queries:-
What steps do you recommend that I undertake to prepare this move back to the UK? Obviously I want to work instantly upon return so do all my old details like NI Number still apply? Will I need to warn the UK in advance that I am returning to become a UK resident again? I will probably return on my own to find work before moving the family back across but I'll need to organise schools and ensure they are covered medically in case of sickness. I read that my children can have a UK passport and that they are British by descent. Does holding a passport mean they are British citizens? Do I need to register them with an embassy or central register before asking for a passport? Does my wife have any rights to a UK passport considering we've been married 12 years?

I think that's enough questions for now. Sorry to throw them all together but they are somewhat interlinked. Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to hearing your replies.
You can just return and get a job, your old NI number still applies. You kids should get British Passports, but they are already British Citizens so need nothing else. You wife will only gain British Citizenship after living here for a few years, being married to you has no effect. You do NOT have to register them with any government agency, just get them the passports.
When you register with your local Doctor they should be able to find your NHS number, and your wife and children will be allocated numbers when they sign up and they will be entitled to NHS care as soon as they arrive.
You should ensure that as soon as you arrive to register with the local council and get on the Electoral Roll, many places use that as part of ccredit chwcks etc, visit you local bank and get an account.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 7:48 am
Just Joined

MarkBM is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help and the speedy reply!

Luckily it seems more simple than I thought. I remember another expat registering the birth of his kids with the UK embassy in London but I can't remember his motive.

Can I apply for UK passports (for my boys) via the internet or will I need to take them to the UK? I'm thinking about all the biometrics etc.

Its good to hear my NINO still works and I still have my UK bank account.

I'll look into the electoral roll. Is that how I declare residency?

I'm wondering whether this "Brexit" referendum could complicate things. Any ideas?
Old Mar 9th 2016, 7:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily it seems more simple than I thought. I remember another expat registering the birth of his kids with the UK embassy in London but I can't remember his motive.

Can I apply for UK passports (for my boys) via the internet or will I need to take them to the UK? I'm thinking about all the biometrics etc.

I'm wondering whether this "Brexit" referendum could complicate things. Any ideas?
You don't have to 'declare' residency, the fact that you live in the UK, are a citizen, pay taxes, are on the electoral roll, they all go the proving you are resident. I believe you can do the passport application on-line, but I've never had to do one from outside the UK, and not had to have biometrics done either, others, more knowledgeable will be along shortly.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Many people will obtain British passports whilst they are living overseas. But in any case, the boys can come to the UK on their Italian passports and you can get British ones later whilst you are here.

You should get onto the electoral register because that is how you register to vote and I believe it is an obligation. But you do not need to "declare" your residency to anyone.

I am sure Brexit will not change anything, in the unlikely event of a leave vote, it will still take time to sort out the terms of the exit.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 9:44 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Many people will obtain British passports whilst they are living overseas. But in any case, the boys can come to the UK on their Italian passports and you can get British ones later whilst you are here.

You should get onto the electoral register because that is how you register to vote and I believe it is an obligation. But you do not need to "declare" your residency to anyone.

I am sure Brexit will not change anything, in the unlikely event of a leave vote, it will still take time to sort out the terms of the exit.
Yes, it is an obligation.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:32 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes, it is an obligation.
Actually, it is compulsory to register for the electoral role, only if asked to do so (in practice, when you are sent a form). So, there is no need to make registering a priority when you first arrive in the UK. If you don't register once you have been asked, then there is a fine to pay.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and children are Italian and hold only an Italian passport
Your children are also British.

You may want to register their births with the British authorities, please see link below -

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Actually, it is compulsory to register for the electoral role, only if asked to do so (in practice, when you are sent a form). So, there is no need to make registering a priority when you first arrive in the UK. .....
Someone else pointed out just last week on BE that he is finding it impossible to get a car loan/lease because he isn't on the electoral roll as a resident and therefore doesn't appear to exist from the point of view of the loan underwriters (even though, or because, he is registered as an overseas voter), so I absolutely would make registering a priority because it has other ramifications beyond merely being able to vote.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 9th 2016 at 4:32 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 4:30 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Someone else pointed out just last week on BE that he is finding it impossible to get a car loan/lease because he isn't on the electoral roll as a resident and therefore doesn't appear to exist from the point of view of the loan underwriters (he is registered as an overseas voter), so I absolutely would make registering a priority because it has other ramifications beyond merely being able to vote.
Yes, most credit checks will use the Electoral Roll to check you are a resident so really a must. We have moved a few times in the UK and I make it my first job once I've got the internet set up, once on the Roll you can re register on-line, even a change of address.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Moosemug is an unknown quantity at this point

I was out of the country for 8 years. I have been unable to register with a doctor as I am currently not working and am therefore unable to prove I am not a health tourist. The same applied to my son.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moosemug
I was out of the country for 8 years. I have been unable to register with a doctor as I am currently not working and am therefore unable to prove I am not a health tourist. The same applied to my son.
Strange. If you and son hold British passports and you have a permanent address in the UK then I don't see what having a job has to do with it. Thousands of Brits don't have/or have never had jobs and they use the NHS.

I would question your GP's reason here.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 11:42 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Who told you that you could not register with a doctor? It is nonsense.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:34 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You only need recent proof of your address in the UK to show that you are resident. Your employment status is irrelevant.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 8:20 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you update your driving licence, with a newly issued photo card with your current address? That should be all you need to register with the doctor. They just need up-to-date ID that proves your identity and address.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.