Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Smacked with a Tax if Canadian house sells but we're not here - HELP!!

Wikiposts

Smacked with a Tax if Canadian house sells but we're not here - HELP!!

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

old fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really nice
Default Smacked with a Tax if Canadian house sells but we're not here - HELP!!

Saw a post somewhere (can't find it now) that indicated folk get spanked with 'a tax' if they sell their house but are no longer on Canadian ice, sorry, I mean soil.

Can anyone enlighten me please &/or direct me to the thread.

Many thanks!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:17 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smacked with a Tax if Canadian house sells but we're not here - HELP!!

Originally Posted by old fat biker bloke
Saw a post somewhere (can't find it now) that indicated folk get spanked with 'a tax' if they sell their house but are no longer on Canadian ice, sorry, I mean soil.

Many thanks!!!
Yep tis true If your know longer residing in thee igloo.....Your classed as a none resident and they slam you with sales tax....they class it as a second home ( the cheek of it Mmmm).
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smacked with a Tax if Canadian house sells but we're not here - HELP!!

Go to the pink bar at the top of the page...click on 'Search'...then click on 'Advanced Search'. Top left hand side of the page in the box 'Search for key words'...type in 'selling a house in canada'...make sure the box underneath says...search entire posts.

Now go to the bottom left of the page...scroll down to 'Search in Forums' located in a large box are a list of BE's Forums...click on 'Moving back to the UK'...it should be highlighted in blue. Now scroll down the page and click on the 'Search now' box.

You should see a list of past posts in this forum regarding this subject. This is it....try this link first...but it is time sensitive so you may have to search yourself as I've described above.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...searchid=65731
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

old fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really niceold fat biker bloke is just really nice

Thanks guys - found it!!! Here it is for anyone else who's going home - having skim-read it it seems far easier to sell while you're still here (despite chomping at the bit not to be...)

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tax_an...e_Sales-Canada
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:10 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it, it's that as non-residents we're not entitled to capital gains exemption on the sale of our primary residence, which we would be if we were resident.

So if you haven't made much on the house, or even a loss, it's not an issue. If you've made $100,000 profit, it's a big issue! I believe we can also offset losses. So if you have any investments and they've taken a dive, you could offset capital gains on your house with capital losses on your investments.

One of the upsides of the current economic situation. Not a lot of capital gains on investments to bother us!

Don't take this as gospel, but that's what I understand.

Bev
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of

does this mean if you dont make much profit on the sale of your house then you dont get taxed very much at all?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:25 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby
does this mean if you dont make much profit on the sale of your house then you dont get taxed very much at all?
That's as I understand it. Let's say it's 20%. (I don't know.) If you've made $100,000 that's $20,000. If it's only $5000 profit, then it's $1,000.

Bev
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:09 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

You can only be taxed if you've made an income. If you've made a loss, and this can be a loss against an asset such as a property, you won't have to pay tax.

A lot of people are taking advantage of the current economic downturn by getting rid of tax liabilities and any other kind of asset turned liability by eithert selling them under value, winding them down or just devaluing them. That's why the Inland Revenue are finding that they have a shortfall in revenue.

Talk to your tax office for advice though and make them aware of any depreciating values.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:16 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old fat biker bloke

Many thanks!!!
If you no longer have a home in Canada then you will pay capital gains tax as the house you are selling is no longer considered your primary residence...
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Sorry but I have just written on another thread about this and talked to our lawyer about this too. The money 25% is withheld regardless of profit or loss you may then claim it back in the following tax year.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cricket1
You can only be taxed if you've made an income. If you've made a loss, and this can be a loss against an asset such as a property, you won't have to pay tax.

A lot of people are taking advantage of the current economic downturn by getting rid of tax liabilities and any other kind of asset turned liability by eithert selling them under value, winding them down or just devaluing them. That's why the Inland Revenue are finding that they have a shortfall in revenue.

Talk to your tax office for advice though and make them aware of any depreciating values.
According to this site, you are taxed on the gross proceeds (not just gains), but it can be claimed back:

http://www.churchpickard.com/images/nrsalerp.pdf
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Thats correct the whole sale amount regardless. Also note that its with held by the buyers lawyers not yours.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:45 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
Thats correct the whole sale amount regardless. Also note that its with held by the buyers lawyers not yours.
This is what i was trying to say happened to the Manghams last yr, in another thread........They got stung for 50k and only lived in the house for 3 wks, they also had to re-sell for less then they paid .

But because i didn't know all the ins and outs, i couldn't argue the point.

People on work permits and temporary visa's best do their home work before they buy in Canada too.

Ps getting a tax return in from outside of Canada... is know easy task either.

Last edited by sans; Feb 23rd 2009 at 10:47 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

snogood is a jewel in the roughsnogood is a jewel in the roughsnogood is a jewel in the roughsnogood is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bevm
So if you haven't made much on the house, or even a loss, it's not an issue. If you've made $100,000 profit, it's a big issue! I believe we can also offset losses. So if you have any investments and they've taken a dive, you could offset capital gains on your house with capital losses on your investments.
If we've lost value on investments, and on our house (yes, things are going well ), would we be entitled to any kind of tax rebate somewhere along the line? No idea how (or even why to be honest), but if one can offset losses of one against the other, what about if both are on a losing streak. Or am I just being mega hopeful Surely that's a loophole I'm looking for

I still think it sounds easier to just wait and sell the house before you move. But some people might be busting to get back to the UK?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:37 am
Just hanging around

Originally Posted by snogood
If we've lost value on investments, and on our house (yes, things are going well ), would we be entitled to any kind of tax rebate somewhere along the line? No idea how (or even why to be honest), but if one can offset losses of one against the other, what about if both are on a losing streak. Or am I just being mega hopeful Surely that's a loophole I'm looking for
I don't know that one, but if it is possible I think it's only capital gains over capital losses earned here in Canada. But you'd need to ask an accountant!

You can always revise your returns backwards. I think it's three years. I don't know how that'd factor into it.

Bev

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.